Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

95 riv advice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Riv_95
Special

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Hey guys, I have a 95 riv n/a. When I first got it 3 years ago I spun a bearing at about 100k. Swapped out the engine with another n/a and now it’s making a knocking noise? Anyways I’m wondering why this keeps happening and if I was to replace the engine again could I swap it for a l67 with a hd trans and sc. I’m asking because there is one on fb near me with trans it came out of a gs 98.

Thanks

edward harmon likes this post

Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

Name : Dave Derhak
Merit : 9

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 am

The lower intake gaskets are always suspect. Coolant leaking from the heads crossover will slowly or quickly, depending, coolant into the oil causing the bearing to be wiped clear of oil and do damage. If you get another L67, pull the intake and replace the factory plastic gaskets with aluminium ones. That's one possibility for a spun bearing.
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

Name : Dave Derhak
Merit : 9

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 4:14 am

If you do the L67 swap , get the computer and the harnesses as the L67 has some things specific to its supercharger like the bypass valve control solenoid and the booster timer ( part of the software in the EEPROM ) I have not done the swap so I am not sure if the trans plug is the same but if you get the harness, you will be ok.
Back to top Go down
Riv_95
Special

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Yes the engine I am looking at comes with the harness and ecu also the transmission. The owner said it has 153k on that and selling for 550 sounds like high mileage to me do you think I should keep looking or should I jump on this. I love my riv and do not want to get rid of it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Riv_95 wrote:
Yes the engine I am looking at comes with the harness and ecu also the transmission. The owner said it has 153k on that and selling for 550 sounds like high mileage to me do you think I should keep looking or should I jump on this. I love my riv and do not want to get rid of it.

...depends on the care it got. my riv has 392K, I've only replaced gaskets (rear main, LIM, valve covers).
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  EmptyThu Mar 11, 2021 1:22 am

My L36 has 230k on it, the heads never been off. The biggest problem so far was failed lifter, apart from that - only usual stuff. LIM gasket, EGR valve, notorious coolant elbow.

Chris, just for the record - 4t65e-HD has a different number of splines on the passenger side, your CV axle won't fit and you will need a new one.
Back to top Go down
Riv_95
Special

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  EmptyThu Mar 11, 2021 10:26 am

Damn you guys got lucky! I’ve had to do alot to my riv and I just hit 160k. If I go through with it while I have the engine out do you recommend doing anything to it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

95 riv advice  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 riv advice    95 riv advice  Empty

Back to top Go down

95 riv advice
Page 1 of 1