Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Coolant leak

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Coolant leak   Coolant leak EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 8:17 am

Anyone have an idea if where this coolant is coming from? Lim gasket and elbows have been changed to aluminum by a po. The oil is free of any coolant. The coolant is on top of the Lim. ThanksCoolant leak 20210611
Coolant leak 20210611
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 1:07 am

My leak like that did not stop until I replaced the LIM and SC plenum gaskets.  I never did pinpoint the source although my wild guess is the throttle body gasket.  Coolant attacks those pretty good over time.

I guess that if you are seeing coolant pooling like that, the imperishable 3800 engine is politely asking you to refresh the top end gaskets including the LIM before it fails.  I kinda wish I'd figured that out, say, a decade ago.  It's funny - once you find out the signs this car has a way of whispering to you that it needs unusual maintenance items like that.   For instance, when the rear brake pads are getting somewhat low, the parking brake foot pedal won't spring back quite all the way.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 9:41 am

I think i found the answer. I also posted this on the Grand Prix facebook group. The Grand Prix s/c 3.8 is the same motor. Someone answered that the coolant is "wicking" up through the lim bolt threads. There is supposed to be permatex/ptfe used on the lim bolts to prevent the wicking. The PO that changed the LIM gasket probably didn't know that. Ill know for sure when i take out one if the LIM bolts that I can easily get to and check it for thread sealant

dAriel49 likes this post

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 9:19 am

Cliff96 wrote:
I think i found the answer. I also posted this on the Grand Prix facebook group. The Grand Prix s/c 3.8 is the same motor. Someone answered that the coolant is "wicking" up through the lim bolt threads. There is supposed to be permatex/ptfe used on the lim bolts to prevent the wicking. The PO that changed the LIM gasket probably didn't know that. Ill know for sure when i take out one if the LIM bolts that I can easily get to and check it for thread sealant

Sounds plausible. On my LIM the sealant was likely insufficient; I slathered on PTFE paste on the install... did not give that much thought...
Back to top Go down
dAriel49
Amateur

Name : Jarred
Merit : 0

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak EmptyTue Jul 20, 2021 8:15 pm

Cliff96 wrote:

My uncle recently noticed a coolant leak on his Riv. We'll just finish installing the brake pads plus the new wheels and tires on his Wrangler before we take a closer look at the LIM bolts and gasket.
Back to top Go down
mbletion

Name : Robert Cruise
Merit : 0

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am

Hope you got it fixed by now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak Empty

Back to top Go down