Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

crazy bad coolant leak

Go down 
+4
Mr.Riviera
deekster_caddy
palermocorey90
6spd
8 posters
AuthorMessage
6spd
Amateur

Merit : 0

crazy bad coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 4:24 pm

Found this site on RegalGS.org. Hoping someone can help me out. There are 2 black metal coolant lines under the alternator that I assume go to the heater core. I took the alternator off and the bottom one looks like it is leaking a ton of coolant! I can't see the leak itself though. Can anyone tell me what these lines are? and where I can get them? Or point me in the right direction of the correct place to look for parts like this. GM does not make them anymore. I've been looking for hours now.
Thanks in advance for any help!
James
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 4:46 pm

can you take a picture of were its leaking i can help you with this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Those are for your heater hoses. They are sealed with o-rings. By under the alternator, do you mean off the back or closer to the water pump and intake manifold? There are plastic elbows in front of the alt., and metal brackets behind the alt. All are sealed up by o-rings, so no harm in removing them and checking the o-rings.

I don't have part numbers, but it sounds like you don't know what you need yet.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 5:13 pm

first, welcome to the site! what year riv do you have? and is it the supercharged motor?

i think the tensioner has coolant passages, and there is a coolant elbo under the snout of the bower that sometimes cracks. as for the actual rubber hoses for the heater core you may be better off buying hose and cutting it yourself b/c local stores will probably not carry any pre bent.

have you checked gmpartsdirect.com ?
or autozone ?

Back to top Go down
6spd
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:44 am

Its a Supercharged 95 which reminds me I need to buy a supercharger rebuild kit too.
It is those 2 metal pipes that are sealed with O rings. I wonder if I just need to replace the O rings? I should have taken some pictures. I will try and get some up.

Thanks very much for the help!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Its apparently not the orings.

Last edited by 6spd on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
6spd
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:17 pm

Hopefully this pic does the trick. I need help finding these two metal pipes.
The GM part numbers are 24503167 and 24500378. I think I can find the bottom pipe.

crazy bad coolant leak Coolantlines
Back to top Go down
Sag
Enthusiast
Sag

Name : Martin

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 11:02 am

If it is not the o ring check the w/p i wish you it's not it it is a pain to remove. good luck
Back to top Go down
6spd
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 11:32 pm

There is a hole in the line. I need to find another one.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 pm

GM Parts Direct:
Item Number........MSRP...........Price
24503167............$21.14.........$12.17
PIPE ASM-
24500378............$21.11.........$10.67
PIPE
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
6spd
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 7:46 pm

I did a search on GM parts direct and came up with nothing. I sent them an email and a week later they still have not replied. How did you find those?
Back to top Go down
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

Name : Evan

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Sag wrote:
If it is not the o ring check the w/p i wish you it's not it it is a pain to remove. good luck

i kind of have the same problem. i went to autzone today and told them i have a coolant leak that appears to be from the flush T and that maybe one of the hoses connected to it needs to be replaced which i can see it dripping from there sometimes. then he looked at the water pump pulley and told me it is loose and that i might need a new water pump which could be also causing the problem. but i have no idea how that could cause it?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:58 am

Water pumps have a built in failure point called a weep hole. On our cars it is nearly impossible to look at and see it weeping coolant.

Your issue coudl be the hoses, or the waterpump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: crazy bad coolant leak   crazy bad coolant leak Empty

Back to top Go down

crazy bad coolant leak
Page 1 of 1