Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes Empty
PostSubject: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 8:09 pm

Can exhaust fumes get through hairline cracks in a tail light? I read this but I'm not sure I believe it. I'm getting in a random smell mostly when the sunroof is open and intermittently when the windows are open. There are no extra holes in the floorboards. Any suggestions I can look to see where it might be coming through?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 10:57 pm

Have you looked at the access panel to the fuel tank in the trunk? You have to pull the carpet out. It's right behind the passenger seat.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 12:42 am

What is the random smell?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 3:55 am

Assuming he means he can smell the exhaust under certain conditions and is trying to figure out how it's getting in.

carguy8888 likes this post

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 5:33 am

The best way for me to describe the smell is old. It could be from the cat or the exhaust but it does not smell like gas. What's even more difficult is it's not constant. I do notice it more when I step on the gas.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 5:35 am

I had my mechanic look at the access panel months ago and he said it was fine. I bought a new ring and was ready to have it installed.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 1:05 pm

Hmmm . . . is your tail light cracked bad?

It must have a weather strip behind it. Maybe that's dried out and cracked.

I'll occassionally get a little mouse smell on a hot day. I found a nest in the rear seat back. They've probably gotten under the package tray too.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 11:09 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
The best way for me to describe the smell is old. It could be from the cat or the exhaust but it does not smell like gas. What's even more difficult is it's not constant. I do notice it more when I step on the gas.

Well, I have guesses.

A smell of "old" sounds more like rotting matter in the air intake. Try first making a gallon or so of a solution made from enzyme based cleaner - disinfectant like Odo Ban or Zep (Home Depot, Sam's Clubs, elsewhere) and pouring it (slowly for the first 1/2 gallon) down the cowl. DIrections are on the label, usually this is like a 5% solution (cup of stuff in a gallon of tap water). Be sure to use an enzyme based cleaner to get at the organic matter that is giving off that smell (bacteria farts).

Next thing - wash the engine compartment.

Do you have oil or coolant pooling on your engine block? Throttle body or intake manifold gasket.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 11:40 pm

It is hard to describe the smell and I do not notice it with the windows closed. I have poured roughly a gallon of Odo ban diluted down the cow when I thought it was the evaporator.
Pretty sure the engine was cleaned before I got the car and I don't think there's any oil pooling but I will check tomorrow. Believe it or not it's most noticeable when I have the sunroof open but it's not horrible or unbearing, just annoying. I thought it could be the beginning of a cat going bad but I'm just guessing.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 12:29 am

carguy8888 wrote:
It is hard to describe the smell and I do not notice it with the windows closed. I have poured roughly a gallon of Odo ban diluted down the cow when I thought it was the evaporator.
Pretty sure the engine was cleaned before I got the car and I don't think there's any oil pooling but I will check tomorrow. Believe it or not it's most noticeable when I have the sunroof open but it's not horrible or unbearing, just annoying. I thought it could be the beginning of a cat going bad but I'm just guessing.

Could be coming from inside the doors. The vapor barrier in the doors breaks down over time.

Could be your carpet needs to be vacuumed thoroughly then shampooed.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 10:05 am

I will smell the carpet later but I don't think it has gotten wet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes   Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes Empty

Back to top Go down

Maybe this is a ridiculous question but here it goes
Page 1 of 1