Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Tires and Wheels

Go down 
+3
stan
carguy8888
mbletion
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mbletion

Name : Robert Cruise
Merit : 0

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 8:58 am

I am planning to buy a new set of wheels and tires for my 1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe. What is the biggest size of rims and tires can I get for my Riviera that won't have any rubbing issues?
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 5:38 pm

Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 17 or 18 in because the sidewall will be too small on the car and it will ride really stiff.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 6:42 pm

check this web-site for (original/used) OEM wheels.

https://www.originalwheels.com/buick-wheels/riviera.php

Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Name : Luis
Merit : 4

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm

If you went higher than 18" you're gonna need a reallly low profile tire, which is fine for modern Audis and shit on tighter suspensions but on an old G body I don't think the ride quality would be very fun. That said, do some experimenting, you might like the way bigger rims fill out the wide empty wheel wells (personally I always thought the 16"s were a little on the small side of my tastes)
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 8:19 pm

I really like the way the 16's ride and never break though lol
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 8:25 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I really like the way the 16's ride and never break though lol

Well yeah can't go wrong with OEM but I'm guessing op cares more about newer style in this case
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 pm

It's on my mind too. I think I may buy a couple 18's and just trying them on the back to see if I want to commit to the ride.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 9:32 pm

I BELIEVE THE RIVIERA HAD BEEN DESIGNED TO REMAIN A CLASSIC, SO LET'S KEEP THEM STOCK.

Rivieraz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 11:27 pm

I had some Lacrosse Super 18" wheels I was gonna put on, but apparently they were worth a lot to another Buick nerd so I sold em. Personally if I were to put new wheels on the Riv, I would stick with rims that at least came from a Buick like that. New Lacrosse and Regal wheels are nice as hell.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 8:31 am

I have Lucerne 18's on and I feel they look "right" on the Riv!

Jbird

Spacecowboy067 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 9:36 am

stan - The "stock" approach is perfectly valid, but it can't be more wrong to modify an 8th gen Riviera than it is to modify a 1-3 gen Riviera.  I vacillate between keeping it stock and modifying - but I've already done the strut tower braces and the modular pulley, and gutted the air box, and I can't see undoing any of those mods.  I hate the way the Riv plows in the turns with the stock sway bars.  That's the worst thing about it.  So I'll upgrade the sway bars.  In a year I'll be able to switch my insurance over to Hagerty and I plan to go nuts with the mods once I can do it without having an insurance agent breathing down my neck.

jbird - How did the ride and handling change when you switched to 18's? I'd hate to lose the Rivs ride quality.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 9:46 am

Jack,
I feel it suffered some on bumpy/harsh roads, which we have our share of here in NE Ohio.
That being said, any reasonable road or highway and it rides excellent. I put on Goodyear Comfort treads they are 225/50-18, these are a similar OD to the stock rim & tire size.
Handling, harder to tell, I put these on right after buying the car so I don't have a good feel for the before/after. I also have KYB struts & an STS STB, so it handles pretty well.
Jbird

Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 pm

jbird wrote:
I have Lucerne 18's on and I feel they look "right" on the Riv!

Jbird

Jbird I would love to see how they look actually!

carguy8888 likes this post

Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Of course Jack i've nothing against upgrading you car with 2021 parts, i`m actually against changing the looks and stance of it. I love the elegant line of the car and i still don`t think all the new mods to the body and wheels can perfectly blend in with the designer`s thought.
i`d take ..... 2021 exhaust ,2021 brake system, 2021 re-chrommed wheels, 2021 porcelain paint and so on..... but on the outside i want the original looks as if my Riv`s been driven out of the assembly line.
Hahahahahaha..crazy a? (i must be)
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 10:32 pm

I may drop it, but I've scraped it a few times with the stock ride height. I do like the looks of the dropped cars though.

I wish I had pics of the car that had the custom bumpers.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 11:40 pm

" I do like the looks of the dropped cars "

.....not me.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 5:13 pm

Tires and Wheels Rivi-on-Donks

It isn't what I'd do, but I appreciate the sentiment of "ridin' above the ghetto."

Trying to find a stanced 8th gen, but nothing is coming up . . .
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 7:19 pm

So update:

I was able to fit 2012 Genesis wheels (I'll put the wheel caps on eventually, then they'll look even better) on the Riv and I think they fit the aesthetic pretty well. 235s with 18 in rims so they're definitely bigger wheels with fatter tires but not crazy like the white Riv lol. I did have to bore out the center to match the Rivs 70.3mm? center, but I got the wheels cheap and boring em out was only 25 a piece at my local wheel shop. I'll let y'all know how it rides or if I fall apart

https://imgur.com/a/52liukZ
Back to top Go down
MaxLegroom

Name : Robert Smith
Merit : 5

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyMon Sep 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Tires and Wheels Rivi-on-Donks

It isn't what I'd do, but I appreciate the sentiment of "ridin' above the ghetto."  

Trying to find a stanced 8th gen, but nothing is coming up . . .  

I saw one similar to this for sale in Washington State recently, someone bought it.

Still, these things tend to make me laugh. I'm recalling the Chargers I'd see with 22" on the fender, but they're rolling on the stock rims. Really? Just got your rims repossessed? How quaint!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels EmptyMon Sep 13, 2021 11:37 pm

Not ridin' above the ghetto no more! rotf On the bright side, can corner again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tires and Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and Wheels   Tires and Wheels Empty

Back to top Go down

Tires and Wheels
Page 1 of 1