Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rack & Pinion PS Leak

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CoffeeCommando
Amateur

Name : HttpWayne
Merit : 0

Rack & Pinion PS Leak Empty
PostSubject: Rack & Pinion PS Leak   Rack & Pinion PS Leak EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 12:27 pm

I just did some investigation on a power steering fluid leak. I replaced the lines and pump a few weeks ago, and before that I never really noticed a leak. This week I now have a persisting drip and my lines aren't the problem, but I see fluid dripping along a boot on the driver's side CV at the rack & pinion.

From what I understand there are seals inside the R&P that can wear out over time and cause this problem. Has anyone fixed the seals before or is it just better to replace the whole thing?

FYI this car was driven with completely shot struts and bounced like a trampoline until I replaced them at which point I saw a big dent in the front of the crossmember in front of the oil pan. I have a feeling that mofo' might be better off being replaced as a whole. Whenever I have to steer to the left on a curved road while driving I get a reverberation/vibration. It's not extreme, but clearly something is worn somewhere.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Rack & Pinion PS Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rack & Pinion PS Leak   Rack & Pinion PS Leak EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 2:45 pm

Unless you know how to rebuild a P/S gear, I'd just get a reman and replace the whole thing. Yes the end seals go bad and leak, filling the dust boots up
Back to top Go down

Rack & Pinion PS Leak
Page 1 of 1