Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse. Empty
PostSubject: 1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse.   1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse. EmptyMon Oct 01, 2007 11:04 am

My riviera keeps poping the fuel pump fuse. We took the fuel pump out of the car and tested it . It is fine, Fuel pump relay has also checked out. Any ideas is appreciated. Car drove rought to the shop and has now died.
Back to top Go down
blackbart95
Enthusiast
blackbart95

Name : Mark
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: 1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse.   1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse. EmptyMon Oct 01, 2007 2:28 pm

If the fuel pump check out OK, then it must be a gound out or short in the circuit that powers the pump. It is most likely intermittant, which means it will be a pain in the ass to find. sick
I would start by checking anywhere the wiring harness is near a heat source or moving part. If it still isn't found, then I would start back at the pump and work my way towards the fuse box. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse.   1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse. EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 4:06 am

the pump module disassembles and the motor is less than $100, not that hard to install once you have the module out (which is a PITA to remove, teh ring that holds it in is usually rusted shut abd breaks when you try to get it off) but anyway, if you let the tank run toward empty there is not quite enough gas in the tank to keep the pump cool and over time it will act up. Run intermittently and what not.

There also over time have been problems with the connector on top of the tank - I think the dealer would have an old bulletin about it. It happens rately so it is not a recall or anything like that, just advice to the service people about what to do if they see a prolbem like yours. A replacement connector that u can splice in should be available from a GM dealer. To check if this is the case, remove the plate in the trunk that's over the fuel pump (later rivs have it yours may not), clean the leaves and crap off the top, and use a meter to check for full or partial shorts.

Alternatively, someone with a Tech II can command the pump on and check some stuf form the drivers seat. Need a mechanic with real troubleshooting experience with a tech II for this.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: 1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse.   1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse. EmptyFri Oct 05, 2007 11:59 am

It ended up being a bad ICM... Lucky I had 2 spares.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse.   1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse. Empty

Back to top Go down

1996 riviera keeps blowing fuel pump fuse.
Page 1 of 1