Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

cutting the front coil springs on struts

Go down 
+2
ewolfe0050
T Riley
6 posters
AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

cutting the front coil springs on struts Empty
PostSubject: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 9:31 pm

im gettting new struts i might cut the front springs to lower it............. i know that it needs to be cut PERFECTLY below where the spring starts..... ANY INPUT??
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 10:09 pm

I've heard bad things about cut springs. There are a couple other options out there that don't cost that much plus you would get new springs and not your possibly worn out ones. Somewhere I saw a thread leading to a shop that will custom make springs and they seemed to be fairly helpful when I made inquiries to them (you could even order them in a heavier duty version to stiffen things up). I'll try to look it up for you.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 10:13 pm

BTW... if you go lower, do all four corners. Buick has the rake perfect on these cars. I would not want to see an ass end up car or one of the "old school Cali" cars (low back end).
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2007 10:35 pm

you can use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. Do ->NOT<- cut a spring with a torch. EVER. The heat will ruin the spring steel temper. The die grinder should make very short work of the spring and not heat it up.

Do not cut the springs if both ends are specifically shaped.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 am

As far as I'm concerned the Eibachs are rare and extinct and the only other way to drop this bitch is to cut some springs or have a scientist make you set.
I.E. www.coilsprings.com

From what I've read, cutting springs is fine as long as they are tangential end springs and you follow the equation of not cutting more than the height of the compressed spring + 1 inch off the uncompressed spring. And to NEVER USE HEAT NO MATTER WHAT.

Our front springs are Tangential End springs, correct? The back springs are pigtails, right?
http://www.eatonsprings.com/cuttingcoilsprings.html

I'm not sure how to drop the back if the springs are pig tails.

Anyone have any firsthand experience with this? Either the Eibachs will magically come my way, I will cut a pair of Moogs, or I will pay Coil Spring Specialties to make me a set.
It's just a matter of time.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 12:51 am

I don't know why you'd need to lower the rear. Just let some air out of the ALC shocks.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Lol, charlie you keep going back to suspension things... Don't waste your time money and energy, save up a grand, and do robo's coil over set. It will do all you want and more, and is really a hell of a bargain.

Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Karma wrote:
Lol, charlie you keep going back to suspension things... Don't waste your time money and energy, save up a grand, and do robo's coil over set. It will do all you want and more, and is really a hell of a bargain.
I will either get custom coil springs made or I will consult with Robo. It's only a matter of time. This will happen before any intercooler sits in my car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cutting the front coil springs on struts   cutting the front coil springs on struts Empty

Back to top Go down

cutting the front coil springs on struts
Page 1 of 1