Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

seat memory & power mirrors not working

Go down 
+9
manofmany
LARRY70GS
deekster_caddy
Rickw
robotennis61
albertj
BMD
robertwolf86
akh
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
akh

Merit : 0

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working Empty
PostSubject: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 4:39 pm

the mirrors will not adjust or move with the switch. The seat memory and exit will not work with the switch either. When I push the unlock on the remote the mirrors move. The passenger mirror does tilt in reverse and then moves up in drive. Do i have something programed to prevent the movement or what?? thanks Anthony
Back to top Go down
robertwolf86
Fanatic
robertwolf86

Name : robert
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 10:59 pm

try checking your fuses and also take the bat out of the remote and reset it
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Power mirrors won't work. Went to the scrap yard and found another switch and it also doesn't work. In the manual, it doesn't indicate which fuse is for the remote mirrors, can anyone offer some direction? If its not the fuse or switch ( which I will determine ), could it be the motor behind the mirror itself?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 7:19 pm

do your seats move/not move?

It might be the thermal breaker, which is under the rear seat. Pop off the rear seat bolster and smell/feel for an overheated metal breaker. But if you have to touch it use a dry rag because if you don't you will get a 1st to 2nd degree burn trying to pull that sucker (ask me now I know).

If this is your problem check for damage or clutter under the drivers' seat and remove/repair it; also make sure there's no water under there and tell your teenage passengers don't kick the control box or shove stuff under the drivers or passengers seat please.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for the response albertj. Yes, my seats do move. Since this is the case, could it still be the Thermal Breaker? If it is which one could it be? In the owners manual, I don't see a spot for breaker that is for the power mirrors? In the meantime my friend is checking the contacts in the switch.

Last edited by BMD on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 1:33 pm

sound like a switch issue.

Just to be aware of what's up you ought to pull the rear seat and check if any of those little cans are hot.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 pm

i had the same problem a short while after i bought her. it turned out to be the wires, connected to the commands on the side of the seat, that had somehow gotten chaffed to bare wire and shorted out on the seat rails. i was allerted to this by the burning smell,after popping the switch cover on the side of the seat. the bare wires were made visible after i tugged a little on the harness and exposed them. check it out?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks robotennis61, but the seat is fine, the problem is the power mirrors. But I will keep that in mind if a problem with the seats arises.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Please go check the underseat wiring as was suggested; the mirrors are wired through the seat control module, which is under the drivers seat, and that is the location of the memory device that remembers teh different settings for different drivers if your Riv is so equipped. If your riv is not so equipped, guess what - the wires run under there anyway, only the memory module is missing (replaced by a plug jumper).

Albert
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 6:20 pm

Oh okay, I gotcha. Sorry robotennis61, I didn't read your post carefully enough, thanks for your input. Albert, my car is equipped with different settings for different drivers, so I will take a look at it. But, what does the seat control module look like exactly. BTW, I am still waiting to get my switch back from my buddy.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 pm

BMD wrote:
But, what does the seat control module look like exactly.
It's a nondescript black box. IIRC.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:13 pm

...and it's the only guilty-looking gizmo box under the drivers seat. About the size of an "I'm guilty" box of chocolates.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:15 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
i had the same problem a short while after i bought her. it turned out to be the wires, connected to the commands on the side of the seat, that had somehow gotten chaffed to bare wire and shorted out on the seat rails. i was alerted to this by the burning smell,after popping the switch cover on the side of the seat. the bare wires were made visible after i tugged a little on the harness and exposed them. check it out?

This sounds like something worth checking on a Saturday even if you don't have a problem, if you have a hi mileage Riv.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 12:00 pm

We could start our own Service Bulletins sort of.
For issues like this if the majority of high mileage owners could inspect and report back with findings it would be very useful information.
We could create a separate section in the index for these types of things.
There are quite a few things like this that have been reported by other members as known problem areas. Documenting the inspection results and fix for the problem under it's own heading in a category designated for these would be as useful as the Write up section in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Hmmm... we might call them Experience Bulletins or some such.

Maybe we could set up an index and let hi mileage owners fill in data.

I think the index looks like:

General Info
- maintenance experiences
- lubrication experiences
HVAC
- head unit bulb replacement
- head unit vac fluorescent display repair
Electrical
- what is a Gremlin and how do I find and fix it?
- power windows/seats
- the MALL (it is not a store)
- aftermarket alarm systems: the bad and the ugly
Accessories
- unTheftlocking your radio
- horns
Body
- typical rattles and squeaks, and how to fix them
Steering
- Jack the Rack
Suspension
- strut braces, sway bars and the Zen of Motion
- front strut 'memory steer' problems
- rear shocks: maintaining that cushy Air Ride for the second 100,000 miles
Engine
- radiator life expectancy and other issues
- exhaust life expectancy and other issues
Transmission
- maintenance and repair experiences

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Well, we have ruled out the switch. It appears that power is getting from the board to the connector. I also removed the back seat and checked all the fuses, they seem to be OK,and none of the thermal breakers were hot at all. Under the driver side seat, it appears that all connections are secure and no chaffing has occured on any wires? Could it be the motor behind the mirrors? But why would both go at the same time?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 5:49 pm

You need a 1996 wiring diagram to diagnose the remainder of this problem as it is highly unlikely that both mirror motors went bad at the same time.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:02 pm

i cant find a problem to my left side door mirror. it stays in night light mode. even after unluging it. did you try cleaning out all the connections with electric cleaner? that might do something?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 am

I don't think its the motor either Rick, but where do I find a 96 wiring diagram? I have applied electric cleaner to the switch and to the connectors, but it didn't help. I'm leaning towards it being a fuse or thermal breaker problem, but which one could it be, here is a pic underneath the seat...

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583243

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583253

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583249

None of the stickers in the fuse box covers or in the owners manual indicate that any fuses or TB belong to the power windows. Here are some other pics I've taken during this process...

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583236

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583228

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583222

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583210

mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372583206
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 11:09 am

Albert can identify which breaker is the one you need to look at, as he burned his fingers pretty badly trying to remove the bad one while it was overheating.
I don't know if that is the same one for your problem but he can verify.
As far as the 1996 Wiring Diagram you can do one of two things.
Purchase a used set of Factory Service Manuals (FSM) for your vehicle, they include the wiring diagrams for everything on your car. They can be found on EBay Motors for sale under the sub heading of Part and Accesories and then drop down menu to Manuals IIRC.
You can expect to pay anywhere for $25.00 and up for the set of 2 manuals. Generally average around $50.00
If you plan on keeping the car I highly recommend having a set on the shelf, they are invaluable in troubleshooting problems as well as being able to read the Description and Operation of all systems on the car.
The second way to go is to purchase a one or multiple year subscription to Alldatadiy (alldatadiy.com). I don't know if they have as comprehensive a set of wiring diagrams as the FSM. Maybe someone on here that has both could chime in on that issue.
If you can't wait for an Ebay auction or shipping delay on manuals right now, you could purchase a one year subscription to Alldata and find a set of manuals to bid on and you'll have the best of both.
There is some stuff in Alldata that is better and easier to understand than the manuals and there is some info only available in the manuals. If you can afford both go for it.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Rickw on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 11:12 am

robotennis61 wrote:
i cant find a problem to my left side door mirror. it stays in night light mode. even after unplugging it.
You just have a bad mirror. Needs replacing or you can live with it the way it is until the glass starts to turn a goldish tint then it will get all blurry. That is generally the next step in a failed auto-tint mirror.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Hopefully Albert can help me further, in the meantime I'll take a look online for the items you mentioned, thanks for that info Rick.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Rickw wrote:
Albert can identify which breaker is the one you need to look at, as he burned his fingers pretty badly trying to remove the bad one while it was overheating.
I don't know if that is the same one for your problem but he can verify.
As far as the 1996 Wiring Diagram you can do one of two things.
Purchase a used set of Factory Service Manuals (FSM) for your vehicle, they include the wiring diagrams for everything on your car. They can be found on EBay Motors for sale under the sub heading of Part and Accesories and then drop down menu to Manuals IIRC.
You can expect to pay anywhere for $25.00 and up for the set of 2 manuals. Generally average around $50.00
If you plan on keeping the car I highly recommend having a set on the shelf, they are invaluable in troubleshooting problems as well as being able to read the Description and Operation of all systems on the car.
The second way to go is to purchase a one or multiple year subscription to Alldatadiy (alldatadiy.com). I don't know if they have as comprehensive a set of wiring diagrams as the FSM. Maybe someone on here that has both could chime in on that issue.
If you can't wait for an Ebay auction or shipping delay on manuals right now, you could purchase a one year subscription to Alldata and find a set of manuals to bid on and you'll have the best of both.
There is some stuff in Alldata that is better and easier to understand than the manuals and there is some info only available in the manuals. If you can afford both go for it.
Good Luck.

In your picture, the silver one on the left in the 4th row (counting from the passenger side) of the first (counting from the passenger side) fuse panel.

And thanks Rick, the burn healed OK.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Is this the one you mean Albert?
mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working 372640894

In the fuse box cover sticker its says PWR ST 25A CB, I thought that meant power seats?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Yes that is the one I meant.

Yes that one goes to the power seats.

Again, the memory module controls the seats and mirrors.

This is why you need the wiring diagrams in the FSM; you should get one at your first convenience.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seat memory & power mirrors not working   mirrors - seat memory & power mirrors not working Empty

Back to top Go down

seat memory & power mirrors not working
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next