Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents Empty
PostSubject: ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents   ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 6:40 pm

picked up my riv over the weekend really haven't had much time to go over it but a few things i noticed was:
1 ac compressor Bearings are Bad should i get the compressor replaced or get a bypass pulley. Pros and Cons
2. Pass side climate control always blows cold air all the time (no Heat) what should i look for
3. when the car is idling i give it gas the rpms go up to about 3500 then drop to 3000 then back to 3500 then to 3000 is this normal or is something wrong. when i drove it i didnt notice any hesitation but i really didnt jump on it either .
Any help would be appreciated thanks

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents   ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 8:08 pm

there is a rev limiter on your no-load idle revving. I think that's normal. What year is your Riv? S/C or not?

A/C? Do you need it? If you do, get it fixed. If not don't bother. Every A/C repair I've dealt with has been about $1000. (haven't had to do anything to A/C in the Riv yet)
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents   ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 8:21 pm

96 s/c, ya i was thinking same thing about a/c
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents   ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 8:25 pm

My '98 has a sunroof, and quite frankly I could do without my A/C. I just love cruising with all the windows down and sunroof open even when it's 90 outside.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents   ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 1:12 am

i live in tx, a/c is NOT optional.
When my ac crashed, it was the compressor, specifically the bearings due to lack of lubrication.
Yes, the total was over $1K.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents   ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 12:00 pm

a nice thing about 96's is when the a/c is ON both fans run which brings down the coolant and engine temps. (i dont believe the 97+ do that) cool temps are a must for s/c engines.
you can get a used compressor pretty cheap, and if it were me i would fix it. (but i live in FL and again, a/c is no option.)

the passenger side climate hot/cold is determined by little door actuators in the dash, it is common for these to get stuck in a position. usually you can manually move it to place it back withing the proper door range. but if not the actuators are pretty inexpensive from someone like ed morad.
IIRC the rev limiter is 3500, that sounds normal but make sure the car runs fine driving at WOT too. you may just need new plugs/wires.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents   ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents Empty

Back to top Go down

ac compresser , RPMS, pass Vents
Page 1 of 1