Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread

Go down 
+80
96_Juggernaut
h20man
al_roethlisberger
Johnny5
bmcd9179
99Rivman
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
th3fr4nchi5e
bigblue96
2000ws6transam
Setton
stan
llamalor2112
LT1Squirrel
highwaywarrior
Jamax
pwriv97
c0reyl
LARRY70GS
flyineagle96
Pipes
Bowersk
charlieRobinson
69GSColorado
gmann3001
Ron's Rocket Riv
denim
dboydakid
RidzRiv
jlaw
J. Chris Davis
Hometown Hero
hollywood
sealk
VJD2
BrianEsser
Tank
Abaddon
BMD
crlombardi69
IBx1
Snowdog
L67
esquire23
DEMonte1997
Eldo
#1BearsFan
Rickw
robotennis61
Chicken
albertj
1wickedninja
captshiner
Shintsu
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
dreww
urbsnspices
nothincame2mind
BillBoost37
BKRIV
ewolfe0050
envus87
deekster_caddy
TType_Riviera
palermocorey90
oldsman105
Jack the R
97rivman
1998 Riv
turtleman
ender467
T Riley
SoCal Riv
Jason
Mr.Riviera
AA
84 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 pm

I've always wanted an exhaust system that sounded like a Ferrari. Not just any Ferrari tho, like a late 80's early 90's Ferrari.....they just sound cool. We had a GTO (new one) come into the dealer with headers and a complete Corsa setup (I think it was a Corsa). It sounded sweet! I was expecting the loud V8, but instead got a pleasant "Ferrari" sound. Of course, until I get 10-12 cylinders with a smaller displacement than our 3.8L V6, don't think it's gonna happen rolleyes

Last edited by Abaddon on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:53 pm

BrianEsser wrote:
I merely meant Dynomax is an OK product, but it's not in the same class as Spintech. That doesn't mean it's junk, just that you can't really compare the two. Like I said, I used Dynomax and was happy with it on my Jeep, but if cash wasn't a problem, Spintechs all the way.
lol and No, I wasn't calling you a wingnut (or does it fit?). lmao
Thanks for the clarification. My problem with understanding the sentence was that I did not know that SpinTech was a Muffler.
And to answer the other question, yes -at times it does fit. So you hit a soft spot and I'm very sensitive.....NOT.
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah, Corsa is grade A stuff, but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range. A cat back from them, would probably cost as much as my car did.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Rickw wrote:
BrianEsser wrote:
I merely meant Dynomax is an OK product, but it's not in the same class as Spintech. That doesn't mean it's junk, just that you can't really compare the two. Like I said, I used Dynomax and was happy with it on my Jeep, but if cash wasn't a problem, Spintechs all the way.
lol and No, I wasn't calling you a wingnut (or does it fit?). lmao
Thanks for the clarification. My problem with understanding the sentence was that I did not know that SpinTech was a Muffler.
And to answer the other question, yes -at times it does fit. So you hit a soft spot and I'm very sensitive.....NOT.

Here ya go.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/

They mostly specialize in race stuff, but they do have street mufflers. They can custom make mufflers for you as well.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 pm

So Brian,
Your saying you are currently using Spintech on the Riv or not, yet.
Are they all stainless? and which model would you choose for a older wingnut like me that still wants to hear the exhaust but not have the droan during cruising.
I'm beginning to think such a muffler doesn't exist.?
Please prove me wrong. Can I have my cake and eat it too.?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:17 pm

did someone say cake? banana
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Right now, I'm all stock, but I'm stashing $$ back for the new engine and new exhaust as well as some other goodies. I will however be going with Spintechs mufflers, most likely something the Pro-Bullet line, but for some reason they aren't showing them on the site, they have some in clearance, I wonder if they are coming out with a new line soon or dropping them, hmmm. I'm thinking 3 of them, one in place of the stock resonator, all in stainless and no cat. I don't think I can afford headers anytime soon.

I think using a third one would help cancel the reverb and droan.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Header's aren't that expensive. The inexpensive SSAC's I got were less than $300.00 on special +shipping. I think they are a very well made stainless header for the money.
I completely wrapped them and the downpipe prior to installation and you would never know i had headers installed unless I told you or showed you.
I just saw a set of SLP's used on another board go for $150.00 + Shipping.
Keep your eye's open and you can have some cake too.
I would not modify my exhaust without starting at the engine first and get rid of the restrictive manifolds.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Spintech or Corsa on a 3800 would be an expensive mistake.
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 pm

turtleman wrote:
Spintech or Corsa on a 3800 would be an expensive mistake.

How so? If you like the sound, whats wrong with them?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Codith,
You have headers on yours, correct.?
Back to top Go down
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

Name : Chris L
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:49 pm

I have the SLP headers on my riv w/3" straight pipe back to the stock "Y" and mufflers.I want to place one round muffler where the resonator was then split it into two 2.5 inch tailpipes w/nice ss tips.
Back to top Go down
http://crlombardi69@yahoo.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:15 pm

24 pages of this thread and I still have yet to hear a muffler that makes a 3800 sound good.
Back to top Go down
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

Name : Chris L
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm

That depends on what you're interpretation of "good" is. As far as I'm concerned there probably isn't one that's really gonna sound good.(Imo)Unless it is highly modified with a big cam in it!
Back to top Go down
http://crlombardi69@yahoo.com
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:29 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
24 pages of this thread and I still have yet to hear a muffler that makes a 3800 sound good.
I know neither you or I can hear the various combination's of exhaust systems or just mufflers on this board but,

You have more experience than I do as far as being around these engines in all different kinds of cars.
You haven't heard one yet that you might want to try, given all the Pontiac's, etc that you've been around.
Nothing..........?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:33 pm