Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs

Go down 
+55
matt270avian
th3fr4nchi5e
Sir Psycho Sexy
bigdave
Richouser
Johnny5
joshuadalegrimes
bmcd9179
stan
al_roethlisberger
69GSColorado
charlieRobinson
RidzRiv
highwaywarrior
Abaddon
reboot13
flyineagle96
Eldo
97 park ave
Tank
BKRIV
VJD2
abaucom
Hometown Hero
Sweepspear
SToP
97rivsc
parrot5254
joe's riv
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
mak3
albertj
No-Lift
Buapo
robotennis61
mountainrider
97rivman
ewolfe0050
Jack the R
turtleman
1998 Riv
HirohataMerc
Riv in Reno
Jason
AA
T Riley
racinfan
jax95riv
pwmin
oldsman105
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 3:55 pm

AA wrote:
I think the point is, from what I've heard, once you plasti-dip something, you must then dip as many other things on your car as possible.

That does seem to be the prevailing result. razz

Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Karma wrote:
AA wrote:
I think the point is, from what I've heard, once you plasti-dip something, you must then dip as many other things on your car as possible.

That does seem to be the prevailing result. razz

Correct.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I even dipped my tires for added traction. wink
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 3:59 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
I even dipped my tires for added traction. wink

When you wear out the dip you can just dip again, that way your tires will never need replacing!
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Charlie, have your springs came in yet?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:50 pm

69GSColorado wrote:
Charlie, have your springs came in yet?
They're sposed to be here tomorrow. I'm going to try and get them painted tomorrow or Thursday and installed Friday.
Maybe..
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:34 pm

FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 Imag0912

Check out the difference between OEM rear spring and Eibach! Dang!
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 3:15 am

Awesome dude! Where did you get them from again?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 3:16 am

awesome....
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 8:43 am

69GSColorado wrote:
Awesome dude! Where did you get them from again?
Got lucky on an Ebay auction!
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:14 am

What's the P/N for the kit?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:21 am

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:31 am

AA wrote:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t265p45-aftermarket-springs

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for another set. I may do the 98 front end conversion this summer so I can upgrade to F body brakes!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 9:32 am

69GSColorado wrote:
What's the P/N for the kit?
FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 Imag0913
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:43 am

Very excited when we get to see a before and after side shot of the Riviera to see the actual drop.

I had a great experience putting stiffer springs on the Roadmaster. It didn't hurt the ride at all, but definitely helped the handling. I'm pretty sure I need new front struts on my Riviera, so that would be an ideal time to consider springs.

Also very interested to hear your feedback on the ride quality.

In an earlier post in this thread, it was mentioned that the rear springs are too short/soft for the Riviera. How do you plan to address this, or is it even an issue?

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t265p45-aftermarket-springs

Quote :
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Springs Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:28 am

I have the Ebach STS springs on my '97 Riv. Front is fine, rear is too weak to hold up the back end without a 1/2" spacer. I plan to go with an air-ride for the back as soon as I am done with my other projects. Because the Riv is heavier than the STS you get more of a drop. More like 2".

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:49 am

The only thing I'm concerned about in the back is the auto adjust lever. The directions that came with the springs say to bend it right in the middle to shorten it. I may do that or I may remove it all together and install the manual air lines.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 12:54 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
The only thing I'm concerned about in the back is the auto adjust lever. The directions that came with the springs say to bend it right in the middle to shorten it. I may do that or I may remove it all together and install the manual air lines.

I had to adjust mine when I put the new springs in. Instead of bending the leveling rod, just bend the entire bracket it's bolted to. I think in your case, you'd have to push up on the bracket to let air out. Do it in VERY small increments. It doesn't take a whole lot of movement to get the compressor to kick on, or fill up the shocks. It took me about a day to finally get it adjusted right (bend it, drive it, bend it, drive it....).
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Approx 1 inch drop require or recommend camber kit for front?   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

It looks like I'm going to give Robo's custom CSS springs a go now that he's moved on to higher performance coil-overs. The price is too good to pass up, and if I don't like them, not much is lost and I can go back to stock.

These springs do lower the Riviera a bit, which is not my goal (would prefer they didn't lower the car, but no complaints), but their additional ~30% stiffer suspension sounds attractive.... and Robo says the ride did not seem to suffer noticeably thumbsup . So I'm going to give them a try.

But I have a question about aligment, specifically camber, following the installation of these springs. I understand that dropping the suspension will require camber adjustment and some OEM adjustment doesn't offer enough adjustment to accomodate lowering. These springs have an approximately 1" drop from Robo's measurements, and I have no idea if the OEM setup on the Riviera can adjust out this much of a drop or not. So will I need a "camber kit"?

Reading the following thread, it appears that rear camber adjustment will not be an issue with the lower springs for the 95-99 Riviera due to how the rear suspension is built as a unit and OEM camber is maintained regardless of ride height (wihin reason I assume). Please correct me if that isn't correct.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7900-rear-suspension-camber-issue-question?highlight=camber

However, for the front, I may want to get a "camber kit" (essentially special bolts that have a larger camber adjustment) if the stock front suspension can't be adjusted to accomodate the 1" drop. I have read elsewhere that a 1" drop may or may not really need a "camber kit" as the impact may be negligible, but "it depends". Fortunately the "camber kits" I've found for the 95-99 Riviera are essentially two special cam bolts that are less than $30. So if it is debatable, I'd say just get the bolts. Agreed? Or can the stock Riviera suspension adjust camber for a 1" drop.

If a kit would be advisable, would the following be enough additional adjustment to cover the 1 inch drop?

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG%2DK928

Thanks,
Al
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 4:44 pm

I had no issue with camber/alignment after dropping mine.

I cannot express how happy I am with the results. Everything about it is JUST BETTER.

Firmer spring rate and lower stance was just what my Riv needed. Good luck and I hope your suspension mods work for you!

Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks, I guess worst case is that I take it for an alignment and they tell me they can or can't get the correct camber for the front... .and we go from there.

I was thinking about just getting the $30 Moog bolts just in case though. But if you didn't have any issue with adjusting camber on your fronts after your 1-1.5 inch drop.... maybe it isn't a problem. Sounds like it was not for you, which is encouraging.

Did you ever get any "after" photos and measurements following the Eibach kit install? I recall you took some "before" measurements.

Al
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm

The garage that did my alignment had no problem adjusting front camber.

Yes. There are some photos in my showroom thread.
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t9541-charlie-robinson-s-99-riv
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Lowering kits   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 pm

So my 96 riviera is the bounciest ride you will ever feel, i dont want to get just new shocks and springs, i want to lower the front about 1 1/2 inch and the back an inch, anyone know where i can get some springs and shocks to do this?
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson

PostSubject: Lowering springs?   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi I want to lower my 1996 riviera about 1 inch in the front or something like that, I need new shocks anyways, anyone know what I should get or websites anything?
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 am

its a rare find. charlie robinson found a set of eibachs he can tell ya what kind
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 am

man I sifted thru alot of posts yesterday to come up with nothing about springs for the sts or riv gbody wth where do I go from here?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs   FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Aftermarket Lowering Springs
Page 16 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next