Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............

Go down 
+6
Jason
SC95Riv
Ridin-Rivi
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
T Riley
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ Empty
PostSubject: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 1:08 pm

So i go and get my check this morning and everythings OK........ i drive like 7 miles and we have to go down a HUGE hill and i made it ok i get my check and then go out to my car start it and im gonna go up the hill............ it has NO first gear....... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it revs really high to like 20 mph AND it has NOOO neutral im FREAKING OUT....... its my 18th BDAY and my tranny is ACTING UP.......... NOT a good april fools day joke..........

so long story short

1) NO 1st gear really
2) when in neutral its still acts like its in Drive
3) SHOULD i disconnect and reconnect the batterey JUST TO SEE???
4) NO REVERSE:pale:

Last edited by 98riviera98 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Check transmission fluid? Always always 1st.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Check transmission fluid? Always always 1st.

ok
shocked
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 1:20 pm

After you check the fluid check all birthday cards and bank accounts and see if you have 2500 bucks or so for a race transmission... I have no real advice actually....
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Well on another note: Happy B-Day
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 1:50 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
After you check the fluid check all birthday cards and bank accounts and see if you have 2500 bucks or so for a race transmission... I have no real advice actually....

pale pale pale pale pale
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 5:17 pm

IS there a TCC fuse???
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 5:19 pm

UPDATE

P R N D 3 2 1 DO THE SAME THING

the car KINDA jerks foward when any pressure on gas
Back to top Go down
SC95Riv
Enthusiast
SC95Riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:16 pm

I'd say your transmission is shot, it could be savable if you get it looked at without forcing it to do things it wont do now, like driving. Sounds like a total failure of the tranny, or ALL the solenoids at once. I have some tranny problems too, two bad solenoids and yet it still drives and shifts into all gears except overdrive.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:35 pm

No movement in any gear points to either a pump failure, or a total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak.
If you are out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage.
To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

Did you notice any symptoms leading up to this catastrophic failure?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:06 pm

Travis- if this is an April fools joke it's a poor one, the Riv's not known to have one of the best transmissions...the 4t65 is not half as bad asthe 4t60 but the valve bodies can cause some problems at around 130k if the fluid gets dirty...could be as simple as fluid turning to piss and not building the pressure because the pump is no longer efficient because it's been pushin piss for so long. I would suggest you make some inquiries and find a good rebuilder, ask alot of questions and you should be able to salvage alot of the internals and get by for around a grand to rebuild it with a good "transtec" overhaul kit. When I get back to work I'll try to help you locate a good builder in your neck of the woods.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:06 am

BKRIV wrote:
Travis- if this is an April fools joke it's a poor one, the Riv's not known to have one of the best transmissions...the 4t65 is not half as bad asthe 4t60 but the valve bodies can cause some problems at around 130k if the fluid gets dirty...could be as simple as fluid turning to piss and not building the pressure because the pump is no longer efficient because it's been pushin piss for so long. I would suggest you make some inquiries and find a good rebuilder, ask alot of questions and you should be able to salvage alot of the internals and get by for around a grand to rebuild it with a good "transtec" overhaul kit. When I get back to work I'll try to help you locate a good builder in your neck of the woods.

this is NO joke man........ its my birthday and i need my car......... i love it....... im calling around tommorow to see what some people charge BUT im scared nervous
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:15 am

Bummer... Sorry to hear this, Travis. Mine failed at 151k. How many miles does yours have?

Might try "double A... M-C-O"

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:17 am

AA wrote:
Mine failed at 151k. How many miles does yours have?

Might try "double A... M-C-O"

145K i believe............. and ummmmmmm im sure your tranny from AAMCO is AMAZING BUT............ i dont have that kind of money....... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked i will need to find a place ALOT cheaper........... if thats not it than 80K mile tranny will be dropped in there and the install will be done by me neutral neutral neutral neutral headshot headshot headshot headshot
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:24 am

I totally understand. Wish I could have done mine myself. I only had the money because I knew mine was on the way out and started the tranny fund last October. Still, I spent more than I wanted. I'd rather have done it myself, but with it dieing on Christmas... not good timing!

These transmissions are pretty common and affordable. I'm sure you'll find something used in the $500 range if you research.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:33 am

AA wrote:
I totally understand. Wish I could have done mine myself. I only had the money because I knew mine was on the way out and started the tranny fund last October. Still, I spent more than I wanted. I'd rather have done it myself, but with it dieing on Christmas... not good timing!

These transmissions are pretty common and affordable. I'm sure you'll find something used in the $500 range if you research.

the problem is that i DONT wanna do it myself shocked shocked shocked

if it was the ENGINE i'd be game........ i would LOVE to swap it..... but i dont know about our tranny's ......... we talk more about our engines and what not...........

there WILL be an AMAZING write up if i do it myself........ but chances lead to i get it done pimp
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:16 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
IS there a TCC fuse???

i was talking to a transmission guy.... he said that it could be a solenoid or a fuse..... he told me to look into it...... SOOO is there ANY FUSES related to the tranny................
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:35 pm

check to make sure the vacuum line to the front of the LIM (under pulley snout) has not cracked or come loose. Mine did and I had similar problems. a $.15 T-fitting is much easier to stomach than a trans rebuild.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:20 pm

TONS of smoke pours out of the exhaust....... thick white smoke and its constant and doesnt go away....... when i try to rev it it revs really quick to 2K and stays and the rpms drop really quick......... torque converter?? BUT what causes the smoke?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:30 pm

The only thing i could think of that would be engine and trans related is vacuum leak....
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:43 pm

frown well i decided to look underneath the car...... and i found about .5 quart of oil and 1 quart of coolant......... MY COOLANT is WAYY LOW... like 5/7 of the radiator is full....... would a engine problem make it not go into drive?? STILL NO SES LIGHT
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Could be a coolant leak past the head gasket. It would burn white sweet smelling smoke. Do not start it or drive it before you check this out!!! You could ruin the engine very quickly. It would explain the power loss too. Pull the oil dipstick out to see if there is any contamination. It would look like condinsation on the stick (oil does not mix with water obviously)
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 pm

ewolfe0050 wrote:
Could be a coolant leak past the head gasket. It would burn white sweet smelling smoke. Do not start it or drive it before you check this out!!! You could ruin the engine very quickly. It would explain the power loss too. Pull the oil dipstick out to see if there is any contamination. It would look like condinsation on the stick (oil does not mix with water obviously)

THATS EXACTLY whats going on!!!!!!! and the oil dipstick has alot of differnt swirls in it....... it appears alot milkier than normal!...... i would rather replace head gasket than tranny.... i think shocked oh and it rev's to 2K max
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Replace the head gaskets, flush the oil a few times, and make sure you haven't damaged anything inside. Might need to check the heads to make sure you did not bend anything. Hopefully it will all be OK. Power should be restored once you stop the water from entering the cylinders.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:43 am

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! tranny will be getting done SOON.....

Engine problem was fixed..... its was just the LIM gasket and the valve cover gaskets..........

im getting a rebuild on my tranny......... 1900 bucks..... BUT!!!!! i get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty which NOBODY can match
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............   TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............ Empty

Back to top Go down

TRANSMISSION problems HELP PLEASE............
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next