Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal

Go down 
+8
97rivsc
DEMonte1997
AA
allfalldown
98riv
Jack the R
99Rivman
jax95riv
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal   Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 pm

My door panel was busted up at a couple attachment points too - probably happened when the windows were being tinted. Just another example of why you should do everything you're capable of doing yourself, and when you have to get work done by someone else, do as much of the prep work as you can (I pull the center caps before letting a mechanic mess with the wheels). They really don't care about your car at all.

I thought I might be able to fix those areas with a little JB Weld. It wouldn't stick well enough to the plastic though. Maybe I could drill holes for pins through it. I succeeded in fixing a few plastic parts that way.

Are the tabs you're talking about molded onto the door? I don't know of anything that will bond plastic parts together well enough to take stress.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal   Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Need to invest in a cheap plastic welder from Harbor Freight or someone like that.
I've used a friends to plastic weld some broken pieces on my door. Works well with ABS and other plastics.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal   Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:48 pm

I had a Volvo with a similar problem - it was a common problem - and a company made up little plates of stainless steel that you screwed onto the door panel with itty bitty wood screws to repair the hooks.

Maybe you could fab such a thing yourself with a shassis nibbler and some time on your hands? I imagine it'd look like a big picture hanger. sort of. You'd need one replacing each busted hook.

In the meantime here is that plastic welder. HF sells the rods, too...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal   Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 pm

i used plastic epoxy on those black L shaped tabs holding the door panel on. so far none have broken off again. it seems to be a common problem as the car ages and the plastic becomes brittle.

Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal   Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 6:53 pm

All great ideas. Thanks guys!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal   Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Interior Door Panel Removal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2