Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change

Go down 
+43
IFallsRon
Tajis
rivierafrenchboy
rk0ehn
robotennis61
werdstrave
manofmany
charlieRobinson
BMD
dtrumbo
DEMonte1997
BlownRiv
BKRIV
Jason
L67
Bawb2u
playa
LARRY70GS
moldymac
beninohio
BatMobile
Ash
flyineagle96
albertj
VJD2
Eldo
Cam
Rickw
Abaddon
Mr.Riviera
96RIVMANN
ibmoses
98riv
captshiner
deekster_caddy
lionfish
SpaceBar
Buapo
dreww
turtleman
pwmin
AA
SoCal Riv
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Now I know why they only say to add 1%.
It's made primarily for hydraulic systems, and it reduces friction. Not something I would recommend putting in an automatic transmission, with all those clutches...

If you wanted to try an additive, I'd use either TransX or Lucas.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I use Dexron VI. No need for additives that I'm aware.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 9:24 pm

Eldo wrote:
It's made primarily for hydraulic systems, and it reduces friction. Not something I would recommend putting in an automatic transmission, with all those clutches...

Where did you do the research regarding friction reduction.? Just curious.
I Know that's much different than friction modifier, and I agree with the use of TransX based on the amount of usage he has out of this car since Trans overhaul.
Never had TransX hurt anything, only help.
But I will go back to my previous 3 posts.
Drop the fluid and change the filter, gasket and fluid.
I don't care how few miles it has on it. Then take the car on a nice long, and i mean about a 100 mile or longer ride, enjoy a Sunday cruising the country side and see how it performs before condemning the Transmission.
Hell, the fuel system needs to be run and new fuel put in it as well.
If you don't have the time to it, give the car to someone you trust and have them run it by driving normal and giving a couple of wide open throttles spurts after warm up to clear ir out and get things circulated.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:

Where did you do the research regarding friction reduction.? Just curious.
I Know that's much different than friction modifier, and I agree with the use of TransX based on the amount of usage he has out of this car since Trans overhaul.Never had TransX hurt anything, only help.

...Then take the car on a nice long, and i mean about a 100 mile or longer ride, enjoy a Sunday cruising the country side and see how it performs before condemning the Transmission.

I simply Googled HydraMaxx and went to their site.

Yes, we agree on TransX.

As far as 'exercising' the tranny, I think I'd actually recommend some serious urban driving. The cruising will warm up the fluid, but all those fresh friction surfaces need to be used by shifting up & down...
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Does any of the usual auto stores provide a kit with a good filter and gasket combo. (autozone, napa, advance, etc?) I read that cork is a no no and something about the inside of the filter? No paper or something?

I need to change the fluid asap, it looks like a light brown now. Nasty.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:21 pm

VJD2 wrote:
Does any of the usual auto stores provide a kit with a good filter and gasket combo. (autozone, napa, advance, etc?) I read that cork is a no no and something about the inside of the filter? No paper or something?

I need to change the fluid asap, it looks like a light brown now. Nasty.

most do. If you want to shop around look at rockauto.com on line then decide. If not, just go to NAPA - it won't be cheapest (if they give you a choice don't get the cheapest one) but it will work fine.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:19 pm

NAPA offers the metal gasket that is sandwiched between rubber. Also, Get their NAPA GOLD Filter, it is just as good, if not better than factory. That's what i have been using. And the gasket is a re-usable gasket. Just like the OEM gasket and is cheaper, about $12.00, that's what i used recently.
I also got a drain plug from them. You will have to drill a hole in the lowest portion of the pan and install the kit they offer, but it makes it real easy to change the oil in the future.
The Drain plug Kit was about $10.00.
I figure, i will drain the fluid now once per year after having drained, installed a new filter and drain plug.
Because i only drive about 8,000 miles a year, I'll do a fluid change once in the Fall (with the drain plug it takes about 7.5 to 8 qts ) and then change the fluid and filter every other Fall.
With the better gasket, all you have to do is wipe it clean and re-install it.
With my mileage, I'll be getting a Trans Fluid change every other year and the same with the filter.
You can adjust frequency depending on the amount of miles your driving annually.
Rick
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Very good,that's what I've been doing, to my cars.Flush trains fluid every year,fluid + filter every other.I was pulling off a trains line,starting her and letting her pee.Thanks for the plug info.That"s how i will be draining her now.Well worth the money,much nicer. SWEET
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Rickw wrote:

I also got a drain plug kit from them. You will have to drill a hole in the lowest portion of the pan and install the kit they offer, but it makes it real easy to change the oil in the future.
I always do the same thing to my cars, the first time I change the fluid/filter... Just don't forget the hole-saw!

Last edited by Eldo on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:47 pm

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate the info. Off to NAPA!

Rick, that is a great mod! That would make changing out the fluid so much easier!

James, I'm a little leary of letting the fluid drain like that. Would there be any damage if things ran dry with the car running?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Only caveat to the drain plug is, you can't fit a new filter through the hole!

You can run the car and use the lines to pump out the old fluid, as long as your intake line is sucking in the new fluid. Pumps don't like to operate dry, so be sure you use both lines if you try this.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Nice thing about the drain plug is that you can get most of the pan's fluid out, which is generally enough for an annual thing, and when you DO drop the pan it's much much less messy.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 2:26 pm

True, can't much argue with that.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Nice thing about the drain plug is that you can get most of the pan's fluid out, which is generally enough for an annual thing, and when you DO drop the pan it's much much less messy.

Right, which makes it a lot more likely that you will change it more often...
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:26 pm

I've done it to my cars for years, never had any problems.The fluid runs out quickly,shut down quick,usually i ad back, about 8 quarts...Not completely empty i no, but works for me.Every time i refill i use two bottles of Lucas.the rest high pres.fluid, like B&N.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:34 pm

After you disconnect the line to pump out the fluid and reconnect it - do you then drop the pan to replace the filter like the rest of us?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 pm

When i change the filter; i drain the trans, from loosing the pan bolts!! Now when i do it, i will loosen the drain plug. gavel
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 pm

flyineagle96 wrote:
When i change the filter; i drain the trans, from loosing the pan bolts!! Now when i do it, i will loosen the drain plug. gavel

Well, no one else has said it yet, soooooo:

WHY THE HELL DON'T THOSE MORONS PUT A DRAIN PLUG IN AT THE FACTORY?!?

That extra dollar per car is gonna' break 'em worse than their management?

hammer rockets twak

OK, I feel better now...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Quote :
Probably because they didn't expect 99.9% of Riviera owners to ever change their own trans fluid. Many never had the fluid changed, and almost everyone else had it done at the dealer, or at a local mechanic, who would put the car on a lift and asily remove the pan. It might be less messy with a drain plug, but would take slightly longer than just dropping the pan. Not a big enough deal to spend the extra $1 for the bolt + modifying all the trans pans to accept the plugs. It only made sense for the oil pan, which doesn't use an internal filter.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:44 pm

You know, Aaron, sometimes your logic can be extremely annoying.... clap

(But I"m still tired of getting drenched in tranny fluid gripe )
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 9:39 am

...doesn't make it wrong I hope. wink I might use the drain plug if it were installed from the factory, or I might not bother. Pan has to come off anyway. It's one of those jobs that looks a lot messier than it actually is, and how often do you do it? Sorry to piss on your plug parade.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 11:40 am

I can see your logic Aaron.
When I dropped my transmission pan and replaced the filter and most of the system fluid (~68k miles), I thought about installing a drain plug. I could have very easily bought a kit, drilled, and welded in the bung at work. Though I chose not to for the reasons you listed. Also, I typically put less than 4,000 miles on my car a year.
And with the nice pan gasket that our transmission came with, it's not like you have extra work scraping away old gasket material....and in many cases, even buying a new pan gasket.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 1:10 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :
Probably because they didn't expect 99.9% of Riviera owners to ever change their own trans fluid. Many never had the fluid changed, and almost everyone else had it done at the dealer, or at a local mechanic, who would put the car on a lift and asily remove the pan. It might be less messy with a drain plug, but would take slightly longer than just dropping the pan. Not a big enough deal to spend the extra $1 for the bolt + modifying all the trans pans to accept the plugs. It only made sense for the oil pan, which doesn't use an internal filter.

except it has nothing to do with Riviera owners per se - when was the last time you saw an auto trans from the factory with a drain plug? Now our old saturn - drain plug AND an external spin on filter. Talk about easy! But other than that... ???
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 1:14 pm

A drain plug with an external filter would make a lot more sense.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 6:15 pm

So I'll be picking this up tomorrow and installing hopefully on Sunday. Can't wait to get this done. Poor transmission!

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=ATP15927_0271079044&An=599001+101997+50008+2008026

While the drain plug sounds good, I think I might pass on it this round.

Anyone have a favorite / preferred brand of ATF?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next