Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?

Go down 
+25
joshuadalegrimes
LARRY70GS
matt270avian
Rickw
1wickedninja
robertwolf86
sburch23
IBx1
99Rivman
oldsman105
T Riley
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
98riv
palermocorey90
albertj
ibmoses
TonySmooth89
racinfan
deekster_caddy
turtleman
Jason
NO 4 EVR
¤DoughBoy¤
AA
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 2:24 pm

and another
FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Picture_0511
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 2:26 pm

pic
FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Picture_0512
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 2:27 pm

one more
FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Picture_0513
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: tesioner pic   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 2:55 pm

How about the tensioner?tavis
Is this tensioner adjusted correctly, or is it close enough??
FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Picture_0516

Bert:tavis:
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 5:33 pm

There is no way to answer your question from the pictures provided, except to say that with the printing still visible on those belt backs most likely they were changed at least once. And with the GM numbers on them, the change was at the dealer.

Look - all you need to do is look at the back of the belts and make sure there are no cuts or abrasions that fray or cut the fabric in the belt. You then need to look at the grooved side of the belts and count the breaks in the rubber. If there are no belts, great. If there is one break per inch, or so, plan to change the belts the next time you have service done like a state inspection or a tire rotation. Serpentine belts are designed to warn you by having the grooved face crack up VERY LONG before they fail. In my personal experience, I've run belts about a year after seeing that they had a crack or two per inch on the face. Actually, I think the thing to look for as a signal for 'change belts soon' is that there are bits of rubber missing out of the face (grooved side) of the belts.

Dayco has a video about this at --> http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.nsf/cf652a4feb630ad0862571a4005ae40c/45ddb8bb3b44d189862571d400512bc7!OpenDocument

Albertj

Last time I replaced my belts, I used Dayco "PolyCog" belts and did it myself.
Albertj
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 5:50 pm

theres one way to be safe, replace them for the hell of it
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 5:50 pm

albertj wrote:
There is no way to answer your question from the pictures provided, except to say that with the printing still visible on those belt backs most likely they were changed at least once. And with the GM numbers on them, the change was at the dealer.

Look - all you need to do is look at the back of the belts and make sure there are no cuts or abrasions that fray or cut the fabric in the belt. You then need to look at the grooved side of the belts and count the breaks in the rubber. If there are no belts, great. If there is one break per inch, or so, plan to change the belts the next time you have service done like a state inspection or a tire rotation. Serpentine belts are designed to warn you by having the grooved face crack up VERY LONG before they fail. In my personal experience, I've run belts about a year after seeing that they had a crack or two per inch on the face. Actually, I think the thing to look for as a signal for 'change belts soon' is that there are bits of rubber missing out of the face (grooved side) of the belts.

Dayco has a video about this at --> http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.nsf/cf652a4feb630ad0862571a4005ae40c/45ddb8bb3b44d189862571d400512bc7!OpenDocument

Albertj

Last time I replaced my belts, I used Dayco "PolyCog" belts and did it myself.
Albertj

Thanks Albertj, thumbsup they should be fine then. There are no cracks in the belts.
It is odd that the SC belt is black and the accessories belt is brown.
Bert:burnout:
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 6:12 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
theres one way to be safe, replace them for the hell of it
Thanks Corey, I will keep that sage advice in mind.
Bert:burnout:
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 9:32 pm

ibmoses wrote:
How about the tensioner?tavis
Is this tensioner adjusted correctly, or is it close enough??
FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Picture_0516

Bert:tavis:

How do you read/interpret the lines on the pulley in relation to the notch on the housing?suspect
There are four lines that divide the "indicator" into four segments...
If tension is correct should the notch be aligned with the indicator line as shown in the attached pic?study
Bert
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Actually, Bert, the different color belts - well, it's not odd. Most likely belts are different composition. There's Gates, Dayco, Goodyear, Ningbo (China), Bandu (Japan) and others. Replacement belts for just about every car on US roads are sold under the AC Delco name - I suspect they are from one or more suppliers (mostly Goodyear) but don't quote me on that 'cause I am only guessing. dunno

Watch out for the belts becoming noisy for no apparent reason. If that happens, check the pulleys (take belt off track at tensioner and turn pulleys by hand). If they do become noisy, they can't really be fixed so just replace them.

And that tensioner in your picture looks fine to me, the index ridge is in the middle of the 4 marks.

By the way, if your car was serviced at the dealer, then service records are available by asking the service manager at the dealer. You have to ask real nice on a day that is not busy, though, because the records take a while to pull from their computer system and although they can give you what they have they can not warrant that it's complete service history.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Do I need to change my belts? With Pictures (Belts Changed)   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 9:04 pm

I am pretty sure that they need to be replaced, but I just wanted to double check.

FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Dsc00974smallpn8.th

FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Dsc00978smallww8.th

Last edited by 98riv on Thu May 15, 2008 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 9:41 pm

I would.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 9:57 pm

They could last quite a while longer, but I'd go ahead and change them if you have the time.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 8:22 am

It would be a wise move.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 8:25 am

1998 Riv wrote:
They could last quite a while longer, but I'd go ahead and change them if you have the time.

AHHHHHHH you dont want to buy a underhood fabric thing
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 8:42 am

I would change them.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 10:03 am

Mine looked like that at 90k miles. That's when my mechanics started getting on me about changing them. And I did.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
98riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:07 am

I just had them changed about 5 years or so ago. Only put like 25,000 miles on them. I thought they would have lasted longer.

Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:14 am

It's not just the miles, it's also exposure to the elements that will cause deterioration over time. How is the backing? After 5 years, it's probably time for a swap.
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:17 am

1998 Riv wrote:
It's not just the miles, it's also exposure to the elements that will cause deterioration over time. How is the backing? After 5 years, it's probably time for a swap.

The back of the belt seems ok. You can't see the writing on the belts anymore. The tensioner mark is in the correct spot.

Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:31 am

If it's your DD car, I'd do the belts. Or if you drive somewhere that you don't want to lose belts unexpectedly.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:52 am

Gates warrants their belts as long as the writing is still visible. I could barely read mine when I changed them. Also, I've been told that more than one deep crack per 1" of belt length means to change the belt.

Are yours Gates (NAPA) belts?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Thu May 08, 2008 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
98riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:53 am

AA wrote:
Gates warrants their belts as long as the writing is still visible. I could barely read mine when I changed them. Are yours Gates (NAPA) belts?

I think they are AC Delco.

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:33 pm

I think I will go ahead and change the belts. I am already changing a lot of parts, so might as well do the belts to. I will try to follow these steps to replace the belts to see if it is any easier.

Quote :
Best way to do all this is to:

- Put on the parking brake
- Block the rear wheels (safety first, you know)
- Jack front of Riv
- Support front using jackstands
- Remove passenger side wheel
- Remove plastic splash shield pins from plastic shield and remove shield (or remove the back two or three and rotate shiled forward out of the way)
- Remove nut and stud from center of TAM sleeve (sometimes the nut and stud come out as one unit and sometimes the nut comes off then the stud), Stud is an external torx but can be removed using a regular socket that fits tightly over the torx head of the stud (may be a 5/32nd...i can't remember exactly)
- Remove metal sleeve, I found for my car that pushing the sleeve up, towards the hood area, from underneath the car, was easier than trying to pull it striaght down and out of the bottom of the car. Also may need to wiggle the sleeve, and eventually ist will come out.
- Slip belt off and past any pullies. (notice belt path so you put it back on correctly)
- Slip new belt on and reverse the above.

Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Are you only doing belts? How is your lower SC idler pulley? I hadn't examined mine until the past couple months when I was running without the SC belt. I'd guarantee it was the 118k mile original, and was in much worse condition than the other pulleys I'd already changed out. It was plastic and badly deforming. The smooth surface wasn't even flat across anymore. Unless you have time constraints, or know that pulley is good, I'd recommend going the long way about it, and pull the engine mount to get that pulley changed. Dayco 89006. Gates 38001. $20-ish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?   FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Upgrading Serpentine Belts & Pulleys?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next