HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:28 am

Thank You for taking on the position of "Board Police"
It is much needed.
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:15 am

This was posted at V8buick.com:

tools needed:
-a set of deep and short 5mm-10mm sockets(the smaller sizes will have to be 1/4 in sockets) and extensions
-wire cutters and strippers
-soldering iron and solder
-electric tape and/or heat shrink
-zip ties(small ones)

1.unplug the air bag fuse and wait an hour before doing anything else. if you dont then you have to replace the air bag!
2.remove the dash
3.remove both panels that sit under the steering column
4. follow the wires coming from the mf switch down to the connector by the fire wall.
5. you will have to unbolt that connector from the plug(i think its an 8mm)
6. cut the zip ties that hold the wires to the steering column
7. you will have to remove the steering wheel cover( i think these are 5 mm)
8. remove the cover by pushing in on the bottom half while pulling up on the top half. be careful its old plastic
9. there are 2 bolts that hold the mf switch on the steering wheel. one top of the mf and one on the front of the mf ( i think these are 5mm also. i used a swivel and a 9in extension to get it off. this when the sort sockets in the 1/4in size come in handy)
10. now there are 2 white wires at the base of the wire connector. mark those wires in relation to where they go into the ignition tumbler. cut these 2 wires about 6 in from the connector. these wires go into the ignition tumbler and are for the chip on our keys.
11. i soldered my wires together, because if they ever came apart i would never be able to start my car.
12. reverse this to install it
13. DON'T FORGET TO PLUG YOUR ABS FUSE BACK IN ONCE YOU ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!

Link: http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?p=1540821
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Would it be easier to just replace the steering column??? I have a '97 and may have access to a '96 and 95.
Thanks,
Mikel
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Anyone know if its possible to just replace the turn lever and not the entire multifunction switch? My switch works fine but the letters are pretty faded and was wondering if it possible just to replace the stalk?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert

Name : Matt
Merit : 49

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:25 pm

No, it and the hazard button are all 1 assembly. That and a new one is something like 250 bucks last I checked. Its unique to the riviera so you can't get it off anything else, and every one I've seen in a junkyard is just as bad.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:45 pm

The reason why I asked if the turn signal lever could be replaced instead of the entire multifunction switch is because I was taking apart my in-laws 97 Century that is destined for the junkyard, and thought I would keep the multifunction switch. But before I learned how that particular air bag comes off, I tried drilling out the bottom torx screw that holds the MFS to the steering column, because you canít reach it with air bag on. So while trying to drill it out I broke that part of the MFS bracket. And although I now know that the wiring harness is anchored with an 8mm screw to the wiring housing , at the time I didnít, so with the bracket broken and my in-laws wanting the car of their property sooner than later, I decided to cut the wires and at least salvage the turn signal lever.

Anyways, I started poking around on the MFS and found in fact, you can swap out the turn lever .
Here's the switch...

There are four small torx screws, cant remember the size right now. once the four torx screws are removed you can pry open the first section of the MFS...

The part with the turn lever separates from the rest of the MFS...

The lever itself kinda snaps into place, so you can pop it out of position, but you can't completely remove it the wiring to the lever is connected to the third section of the MFS and you have to pry the second from the third to give it the space for the plug to come loose...

To separate the second section from the third, look for this tab which when once lifted, allows you to pry all around to separate the sections...

Here is a pic of the three sections...

The back of the second section is where all the contacts are housed, now's a good time to give them a cleaning...

There are a lot more details to describe, like maintaining the correct location of the wiper speed gears, or a couple of small push pins that if you don't keep track of will fall out of place and you won't know where they go. This isn't really a write-up, but I am planning on doing the swap in the spring so I'll try and make one then. I am pissed at myself for cutting the harness and breaking the MFS bracket cause it would have been easy to just swap out the whole MFS, but at least now I will have a like new turn signal lever! Hope this help people.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Wow, I just replaced mine along with the harness because my horn was out. There is this little button on it that activates the horn
Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3