Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk

Go down 
+19
matt270avian
BMD
T Riley
Mikel
Rickw
GMFreak8
SuperRiv07
99Rivman
1996RIV CALI
TonySmooth89
albertj
'96reese
deekster_caddy
1998 Riv
Jack the R
dreww
jimmyriv
AA
SpaceBar
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 5:28 am

Thank You for taking on the position of "Board Police"
It is much needed.
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:15 am

This was posted at V8buick.com:

tools needed:
-a set of deep and short 5mm-10mm sockets(the smaller sizes will have to be 1/4 in sockets) and extensions
-wire cutters and strippers
-soldering iron and solder
-electric tape and/or heat shrink
-zip ties(small ones)

1.unplug the air bag fuse and wait an hour before doing anything else. if you dont then you have to replace the air bag!
2.remove the dash
3.remove both panels that sit under the steering column
4. follow the wires coming from the mf switch down to the connector by the fire wall.
5. you will have to unbolt that connector from the plug(i think its an 8mm)
6. cut the zip ties that hold the wires to the steering column
7. you will have to remove the steering wheel cover( i think these are 5 mm)
8. remove the cover by pushing in on the bottom half while pulling up on the top half. be careful its old plastic
9. there are 2 bolts that hold the mf switch on the steering wheel. one top of the mf and one on the front of the mf ( i think these are 5mm also. i used a swivel and a 9in extension to get it off. this when the sort sockets in the 1/4in size come in handy)
10. now there are 2 white wires at the base of the wire connector. mark those wires in relation to where they go into the ignition tumbler. cut these 2 wires about 6 in from the connector. these wires go into the ignition tumbler and are for the chip on our keys.
11. i soldered my wires together, because if they ever came apart i would never be able to start my car.
12. reverse this to install it
13. DON'T FORGET TO PLUG YOUR ABS FUSE BACK IN ONCE YOU ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!

Link: http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?p=1540821
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Would it be easier to just replace the steering column??? I have a '97 and may have access to a '96 and 95.
Thanks,
Mikel
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Anyone know if its possible to just replace the turn lever and not the entire multifunction switch? My switch works fine but the letters are pretty faded and was wondering if it possible just to replace the stalk?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 10:25 pm

No, it and the hazard button are all 1 assembly. That and a new one is something like 250 bucks last I checked. Its unique to the riviera so you can't get it off anything else, and every one I've seen in a junkyard is just as bad.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 10:45 pm

The reason why I asked if the turn signal lever could be replaced instead of the entire multifunction switch is because I was taking apart my in-laws 97 Century that is destined for the junkyard, and thought I would keep the multifunction switch. But before I learned how that particular air bag comes off, I tried drilling out the bottom torx screw that holds the MFS to the steering column, because you can’t reach it with air bag on. So while trying to drill it out I broke that part of the MFS bracket. And although I now know that the wiring harness is anchored with an 8mm screw to the wiring housing , at the time I didn’t, so with the bracket broken and my in-laws wanting the car of their property sooner than later, I decided to cut the wires and at least salvage the turn signal lever.

Anyways, I started poking around on the MFS and found in fact, you can swap out the turn lever .
Here's the switch...
Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 IMAG1065_zps06780f52
There are four small torx screws, cant remember the size right now. once the four torx screws are removed you can pry open the first section of the MFS...
Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 IMAG1068_zps957899d1
The part with the turn lever separates from the rest of the MFS...
Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 IMAG1073_zps54e13f12
The lever itself kinda snaps into place, so you can pop it out of position, but you can't completely remove it the wiring to the lever is connected to the third section of the MFS and you have to pry the second from the third to give it the space for the plug to come loose...
Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 IMAG1072_zpsb9485fa1
To separate the second section from the third, look for this tab which when once lifted, allows you to pry all around to separate the sections...
Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 IMAG1075_zpsb090bd55
Here is a pic of the three sections...
Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 IMAG1077_zpsd8d54143
The back of the second section is where all the contacts are housed, now's a good time to give them a cleaning...
Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 IMAG1078_zps90ae1f08
There are a lot more details to describe, like maintaining the correct location of the wiper speed gears, or a couple of small push pins that if you don't keep track of will fall out of place and you won't know where they go. This isn't really a write-up, but I am planning on doing the swap in the spring so I'll try and make one then. I am pissed at myself for cutting the harness and breaking the MFS bracket cause it would have been easy to just swap out the whole MFS, but at least now I will have a like new turn signal lever! Hope this help people.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Wow, I just replaced mine along with the harness because my horn was out. There is this little button on it that activates the horn
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 9:36 am

BMD wrote:
Anyways, I started poking around on the MFS and found in fact, you can swap out the turn lever .
Here's the switch...
Thank you very match for your discoveries and pictures!
So, have you managed replacing the lever, after all? How did it go?
Back to top Go down
CoffeeCommando
Amateur

Name : HttpWayne
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 7:45 pm

I come from the Jeep Cherokee community. I have had to disassemble and clean off the copper contacts pictured above by BMD. They get oxidized over time from the design. I'd wager anyone who has a malfunctioning multifunction switch just needs to disassamble the unit and clean those contacts.

I already knew that was going to be what I would have to do in the future once I noticed that my windshield wipers wouldn't turn off and one of my turning markers lights up solid when I brake sometimes. Old cars will become increasingly hard to find parts, but I knew that when I bought it a few months ago and resolved to fix anything I could through the MacGyver within me.

I highly recommend anyone with MFS problems just disassemble the unit and hit those copper parts with some QD electrical cleaner. Do not use just any can of anything you have in the garage that seems like it might do the trick. You want genuine electric cleaner to ensure it doesn't start oxidizing a week after you put it back in, and then have to take it out again.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2019 1:39 pm

CoffeeCommando wrote:
I come from the Jeep Cherokee community.  I have had to disassemble and clean off the copper contacts pictured above by BMD.  They get oxidized over time from the design.  I'd wager anyone who has a malfunctioning multifunction switch just needs to disassamble the unit and clean those contacts.  

I already knew that was going to be what I would have to do in the future once I noticed that my windshield wipers wouldn't turn off and one of my turning markers lights up solid when I brake sometimes.  Old cars will become increasingly hard to find parts, but I knew that when I bought it a few months ago and resolved to fix anything I could through the MacGyver within me.  

I highly recommend anyone with MFS problems just disassemble the unit and hit those copper parts with some QD electrical cleaner.  Do not use just any can of anything you have in the garage that seems like it might do the trick.  You want genuine electric cleaner to ensure it doesn't start oxidizing a week after you put it back in, and then have to take it out again.  

Any hints, suggestions or photos from disassembling the switch (if different from those already contributed)?  Would be appreciated...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2019 3:59 pm

I wonder if my intermittent Cruise control could be related to this?
My "cruise" light comes on every time i hit the set button, but it is getting rare for the speed setting to actually set. It thinks its set, the cruise light will extinguish with the brake applied.
Has anyone seen this with the MFS?

Jbird
Back to top Go down
CoffeeCommando
Amateur

Name : HttpWayne
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2019 5:49 pm

albertj wrote:
CoffeeCommando wrote:
I come from the Jeep Cherokee community.  I have had to disassemble and clean off the copper contacts pictured above by BMD.  They get oxidized over time from the design.  I'd wager anyone who has a malfunctioning multifunction switch just needs to disassamble the unit and clean those contacts.  

I already knew that was going to be what I would have to do in the future once I noticed that my windshield wipers wouldn't turn off and one of my turning markers lights up solid when I brake sometimes.  Old cars will become increasingly hard to find parts, but I knew that when I bought it a few months ago and resolved to fix anything I could through the MacGyver within me.  

I highly recommend anyone with MFS problems just disassemble the unit and hit those copper parts with some QD electrical cleaner.  Do not use just any can of anything you have in the garage that seems like it might do the trick.  You want genuine electric cleaner to ensure it doesn't start oxidizing a week after you put it back in, and then have to take it out again.  

Any hints, suggestions or photos from disassembling the switch (if different from those already contributed)?  Would be appreciated...

Albertj

When I rectify mine I'll be sure to document it and bring it here.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 27, 2019 1:10 am

albertj wrote:
Geez...

[small flame on]

if you look up the part on RockAuto.com or GMPartsDirect.com, and use the features on those web sites, you should be able to find the cross references to different cars.   Also, many used parts dealers will use the Hollander interchange for this... but won't necessarily tell you.  So please try to find the cross-references -  I will leave that as an excercise for you, Riv Cali - because if it turns out to be too much to figure that out, it really might be you want to take the car to the dealer instead of asking the same question (what does the MF switch cross to) over and over - not a great use of time, and I suspect you noticed the answers are not getting any better each time you repeat asking.
[flame off]

I saw one '97 riv, some years back, that had a Pontiac 6000 MF switch installed.  I feel for you - the original switches that were color-keyed to the Riv interiors were flimsy I am told.

I'd probably just buy the switch from Morad rather than burning the time up.
Albertj

WOW, First and only time I've seen Albert get pissed at someone for being so stupid. Good on you Al. I know it was eons ago but still fun to look at.

Me on the other hand, never had a problem calling someone out for not having any common sense. wink

But that's just me. Y'all know me right.??? I used to hang out here all the time until I had my Riv crushed. headshot
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 pm

CoffeeCommando wrote:
albertj wrote:
CoffeeCommando wrote:

Albertj

When I rectify mine I'll be sure to document it and bring it here.  

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 1:32 pm

jbird wrote:
I wonder if my intermittent Cruise control could be related to this?
My "cruise" light comes on every time i hit the set button, but it is getting rare for the speed setting to actually set. It thinks its set, the cruise light will extinguish with the brake applied.
Has anyone seen this with the MFS?

Jbird

You may need to borrow a Tech II and check the outputs of the transmission output sensor (speed sensor). I think that is where the cruise gets its heartbeat from, and it should check out OK. Then check the servo. I wonder if your servo cable is merely disconnected or damaged at the throttle, or if the servo itself went intermittent (never seen that though).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk   Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Mulitfunction Switch / Stalk
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3