Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info

Go down 
+32
chitown_riv98
Abaddon
95RivieraVino
matt270avian
joshuadalegrimes
Rivnut
98riv
al_roethlisberger
highwaywarrior
LARRY70GS
charlieRobinson
ghpcnm
Jelorian
Jamax
sqrivi
norsky86
ewolfe0050
robotennis61
Rickw
deekster_caddy
1998 Riv
Jack the R
Chicken
TonySmooth89
texasfan010
turtleman
Mr.Riviera
jrocha
¤DoughBoy¤
okiedrifter
racinfan
AA
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm running American Racing 17x7.5 wheels. 5x115 pattern, 40mm offset, 5.79" backspace with 245/45/ZR17's. They fit perfect with no issues whatsoever. The wheel assemblies are actually further out for more of a "flush" look. Makes the car look wider.

If I were to do it again, I'd go 245/50/ZR17 though. The 45's are a bit thin in the sidewall. They handle like a mofo though.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 3:28 pm

XCELLR8 wrote:
I picked up my Riviera last week and like the car except the rims.  I have a set of rims from an old car of mine that I think will work on the Riviera.  They are a 17X8 rim with a +25 offset with a 5X115 bolt pattern.  My reading has led me to believe that the Riviera's stock rims are 16X7 with a +32 offset and the 5X115 bolt pattern.  Is this correct?  I'm thinking everything should work out as the wider rim makes the offset shorter to overcome the rim's width.  I'm wanting to run a 245/50/17 tire which is the same OD as the stock 225/60/16.  Anybody confirm my thinking?

Will those clear the brake rotors on the front? They kinda fill the stock wheels.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 3:50 pm

XCELLR8 wrote:
I picked up my Riviera last week and like the car except the rims.  I have a set of rims from an old car of mine that I think will work on the Riviera.  They are a 17X8 rim with a +25 offset with a 5X115 bolt pattern.  My reading has led me to believe that the Riviera's stock rims are 16X7 with a +32 offset and the 5X115 bolt pattern.  Is this correct?  I'm thinking everything should work out as the wider rim makes the offset shorter to overcome the rim's width.  I'm wanting to run a 245/50/17 tire which is the same OD as the stock 225/60/16.  Anybody confirm my thinking?

If you go to www.tirerack.com and click on wheels, and input the year Riviera, you will get a selection of rims that will fit.  The offsets range between 35mm and 46mm, depending on the rim width.  I find the term offset very confusing to a lot of people.  IMO, you are way better off measuring back spacing, which is not the same.  Offset can be positive or negative, and it can be much harder to actually measure offset than back spacing.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
XCELLR8
Amateur

Name : Kent
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 5:29 pm

I'm trying to use rims I already have in the garage and really don't want to buy new rims if I don't have to. Are my specs of the stock supercharged rims correct? Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 6:12 pm

XCELLR8 wrote:
I'm trying to use rims I already have in the garage and really don't want to buy new rims if I don't have to. Are my specs of the stock supercharged rims correct? Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know. Someone has to take a wheel off and measure. Like I said, it is much easier to measure back spacing. To measure offset, you have to find the center of the rim and measure to the mounting surface. Take one of your stock rims off and measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 10:57 am

To measure backspace, run a straight edge across the backside of the wheel, then measure the distance from that straight edge to the hub face.....where the wheel meets the hub.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 2:29 pm

I thought there was already a "Write Up" or 2 concerning this subject IIRC. With some very good info that would answer the OP's question without measuring the stock wheel.

But, Hey, I could be wrong. Have been many times in the past.

Good Luck with your wheel/tire mounting. Hope it all works out for you.

What Stock wheels do you have.? After you install your 17" inch wheels are you keeping the stock ones for winter use.???
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 12:56 pm

There are a few calculators online that can help. Just enter the existing wheel specs and the new ones and it will tell you how much farther they'll stick out. Then just measure out to the fender to see how much farther you want to go.
Back to top Go down
XCELLR8
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm looking for the true wheel specs of the 12 spoke painted supercharged wheels. In my reading I'm getting some mixed results.

I plan to keep the stock wheels and put them away, they are real close to flawless.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 4:57 pm

They're 16x7 with between a 50mm and 55mm offset, 70.3mm center bore, and the stud thread is 12 x 1.5.
Back to top Go down
XCELLR8
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 8:02 am

matt270avian wrote:
They're 16x7 with between a 50mm and 55mm offset, 70.3mm center bore, and the stud thread is 12 x 1.5.

I thank you for the info. I'm just going to take a wheel off and do some measuring and comparing with the aftermarket wheels I have. I have read different factory offsets of +32, +35, and now +50 to +55. I you are correct at +50 then my rims will not work, at an offset of +25.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 12:22 pm

XCELLR8 wrote:

matt270avian wrote:

I thank you for the info. I'm just going to take a wheel off and do some measuring and comparing with the aftermarket wheels I have.  I have read different factory offsets of +32, +35, and now +50 to +55.  I you are correct at +50 then my rims will not work, at an offset of +25.

25 should fit just fine. A common setup is jumping up to an 8" rim and running 245s. Use this website to really help you decide what you want. 18" seems to be a really good size for our cars but comfort is sacrificed, 17" looks just a hair too small IMO.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=60&diameter=16&wheelwidth=7&offset=50&width2=245&aspect2=45&diameter2=18&wheelwidth2=8&offset2=25#content
Back to top Go down
XCELLR8
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Took the Riviera's wheel off and did some measuring. The offset of the 12 spoke wheel is +51mm and they have a back spacing of 6.125", the aftermarket rims that I have are +25mm and have a back spacing of 5.625". I put one of the rims on without tires and they poke out too far for me. They might work, but I'm not going to spend $600 to $800 in tires just to find out. Thanks for all the info given.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 8:24 pm

That should only bring them out 1.5" or so. Take a tape measure to the existing rims and measure out, I'm willing to bet 1.5" would put them pretty dang close to flush.
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 12:52 am

I am in need of new tires and am thinking of getting 235's as opposed to the 225's. I have 16 inch late 90's Cadillac rims. Are there any differences/loss in performance, or will they rub against the inside fender/strut?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info   FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Wheel & Tire, Lug, Bolt Pattern, Offset, Center Bore Info
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7