Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell

Go down 
+23
llamalor2112
AA
Natesriv
IBx1
BMD
MTRiviera
Eldo
robotennis61
BrianEsser
Abaddon
Rivlanta
deekster_caddy
pearlwhite91
Riviera96
99Rivman
Ironclad-454
1998 Riv
Rickw
Shintsu
albertj
96riv
1995 Riv
JD94SS
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell   Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 5:22 pm

Wow, that is the opposite of my car. The next time I go to the garage I will pull out the parts I grabbed to see if they can help you.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell   Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 6:08 pm

I don't think that will help, but thanks. Maybe what I need is an updated photo cell that isn't sensitive to LED outdoor lighting. I wonder if some kind of stick on filter will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell   Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 7:22 pm

The last time I checked the part number was 914032 but nowhere to be found.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell   Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 8:50 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
My Twilight sentinel stopped working outside long ago.  I recently got a garage for the Riviera, and I noticed that in the dark of the garage, the lights come on immediately upon starting the engine.  It is still dark outside as I pull the car out, but 15-20 seconds later, the lights go out, and I have to put them on manually.  No big deal, but I was wondering if the newer LED lighting outside triggers the sensor enough so that it thinks it is daylight?

It's not so much the "newer LED lighting" as it is any lighting with the color spectrum and intensity of sunlight. As compared, say, to lighting in a tunnel.

So yes if the night lighting is bright enough and has a spectrum more or less of daylight, the sentinel will think it's time to turn out the lights.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell   Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2022 8:07 am

[quote="albertj"]
LARRY70GS wrote:
It's not so much the "newer LED lighting" as it is any lighting with the color spectrum and intensity of sunlight.  As compared, say, to lighting in a tunnel.

So yes if the night lighting is bright enough and has a spectrum more or less of daylight, the sentinel will think it's time to turn out the lights.  

That's exactly what is happening.  I am wondering whether it is my particular ambient light sensor, or whether this is simply a consequence of the newer LED street lighting.  Since a new light sensor is no longer available, maybe some kind of filter over the existing sensor might restore function?  If this is a problem with newer LED street lighting, do newer cars have a less sensitive sensor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell   Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 25, 2022 4:50 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
albertj wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
It's not so much the "newer LED lighting" as it is any lighting with the color spectrum and intensity of sunlight.  As compared, say, to lighting in a tunnel.

That's exactly what is happening.  I am wondering whether it is my particular ambient light sensor, or whether this is simply a consequence of the newer LED street lighting.  Since a new light sensor is no longer available, maybe some kind of filter over the existing sensor might restore function?  If this is a problem with newer LED street lighting, do newer cars have a less sensitive sensor?

Hard to tell, Larry.

I took a look at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/ambient-light-sensor/s?k=ambient+light+sensor - there are a bunch of sensors for sale, and several with the same top as our sensors but need new connector to go to the base.

The fix feels complicated. If the sensor could read the sky past the light, it would not be fooled. Not sure how to pull that off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell   Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Replacing Twilight Sentinel Photo Cell
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4