Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

motor! ...yeah

Go down 
+2
nothincame2mind
Stealth96
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stealth96
Rookie

Name : Kyle
Merit : 0

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyWed May 06, 2009 12:59 am

ok well i blew my motor, like.....eh 2 and a half months ago, something about the piston cap making a uh...3 inch hole in the bottom of the block. fun! frown
(96' series ii s/c)

i am currently wondering if anybody can roughly guess the price of a full s/c replacement, or if it would be cheaper with the n/a and using the old s/c with some tuning

idk, just as many others i do not have much money to fiddle with so under $1000 would be fantastic, or is it more of a fantasy?

as per mileage concerns, obviously less the better, but with my price tag, what do you all believe i can expect to get?

and lastly, it shouldnt matter if its a series ii out of say a gtp or anything? concerning like the wiring locations or plumbing or anything

thanks for all the help, i appreciate this site like none other, its a safe haven for my otherwise undermined "grampa car" i love it smile
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:38 am

This is the only one I found for under a grand.

L67 89K

I bought an L32 (series III) with 7k on it for $2K, but I don't remember where it was from.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyWed May 06, 2009 6:49 am

You should be able to find an L67 in decent shape for around $600 complete, depending on the miles. Worst case scenario you find the N/A motor and do a top swap with your old intake manifold and associated parts. You can get a ported Gen3 blower for short money these days, and just need to return your old one as a core.

Ed morad always has a few engines around (http://www.moradpartscompany.com/) but you'd need to pay for shipping which puts a bummer on the deal.

Try car-part.com - I see they don't list any in the midwest for less than $900, but a local search may give you better results. Call a few local yards too. Also check on clubgp for a local chapter and see if any of those people can help you out!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyWed May 06, 2009 9:51 am

Derek,
I thought you couldn't put a SC on a N/A motor due to the fact that the N/A has a higher compression ratio.
Is this correct or false?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyWed May 06, 2009 10:31 am

You "can", but I don't agree with it in principle. The result is a very sensitive build that needs exact tuning and probably race gas - not everyday user friendly, imo.

It's been tried here: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/riviera-street-f21/coreys-engine-build-now-have-a-regal-thread-t3050-30.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyWed May 06, 2009 12:10 pm

It's called a 'top swap' and it does require some tuning work, but can be done. You have to be very careful about the fuel you run due to the higher compression though.

BTW I also don't recommend it unless you are ready to tune, just saying that it's possible if you are having a lot of trouble finding an L67 or L32 near you.

I should have disclaimered my first statement ! oops
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyThu May 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Try this out.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/1155616239.html
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
Stealth96
Rookie

Name : Kyle
Merit : 0

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:18 pm

thanks guys smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

motor!   ...yeah Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor! ...yeah   motor!   ...yeah Empty

Back to top Go down

motor! ...yeah
Page 1 of 1