Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Fuel Pump/Sending Unit

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stealofcentury
Rookie

Name : Matt
Merit : 0

Fuel Pump/Sending Unit Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Pump/Sending Unit   Fuel Pump/Sending Unit EmptyWed May 27, 2009 7:33 pm

I have looked around the site and haven't been able to find the answer I am looking for. My Riv's fuel pump is working fine, but the dash gauge is not reading correct, sometimes reads correct down to half a tank, but then fluctuates back to full. I already checked source voltage and verified ground at the pump harness. Has someone else had this problem in the past? I know I would have to pull the pump/sender, not that big of deal, I just wondering if anyone has repaired the sender to function correctly again, or is it just a better idea to buy a new pump unit for $300+ ? Thanks for any help!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump/Sending Unit   Fuel Pump/Sending Unit EmptyWed May 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Welcome to the site.
Yes, others have had the same problem. The sending unit (rheostat) goes bad.
Try typing "Fuel Pump" in the Search engine on this site, there are multiple write ups concerning replacing just the sending unit and some info on getting a pump assembly for less than $300.00.
I found an OEM AC/Delco unit new on EBay a while back for $ 75.00, but that could have been just a fluke.

What year is your car. Add some info to your signature, it helps us help you better.
Back to top Go down
Stealofcentury
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump/Sending Unit   Fuel Pump/Sending Unit EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks for the info, I will search. Sorry I forgot to mention, 1997 Riv.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump/Sending Unit   Fuel Pump/Sending Unit EmptyThu May 28, 2009 3:27 pm

Rickw wrote:
Welcome to the site.
Yes, others have had the same problem. The sending unit (rheostat) goes bad.
Try typing "Fuel Pump" in the Search engine on this site, there are multiple write ups concerning replacing just the sending unit and some info on getting a pump assembly for less than $300.00.
I found an OEM AC/Delco unit new on EBay a while back for $ 75.00, but that could have been just a fluke.

What year is your car. Add some info to your signature, it helps us help you better.

Thats a steal! I ended up putting a new unit in mine.
Back to top Go down
Stealofcentury
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump/Sending Unit   Fuel Pump/Sending Unit EmptyThu May 28, 2009 4:17 pm

After doing some research on here, I figure that is probably the best idea. I haven't seen anything off someone fixing just the sender. Will replace it all this summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump/Sending Unit   Fuel Pump/Sending Unit Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump/Sending Unit
Page 1 of 1