Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv

Go down 
+139
Calvin90
Rivieraz
R1V 1T UP
MaxLegroom
carguy8888
nickwon
DeepFrozen
albertj
Lmck3
ubushaus
XCELLR8
jbird
Animator
Yoss
ZEP
98riv
jayeli
ironclyde
h20man
Johnny5
llamalor2112
96_Juggernaut
al_roethlisberger
chitown_riv98
joshuadalegrimes
69GSColorado
Sir Psycho Sexy
Rivillac
th3fr4nchi5e
Z-type
charlieRobinson
bigdave
matt270avian
makemann1
LT1Squirrel
highwaywarrior
Rogerh11
The Roadmaster
LARRY70GS
Ultra16
Ron's Rocket Riv
Jason
gmann3001
denim
rivparadise
BigRay1125
Riv95SC
wee-one
ghpcnm
BlownRiv
Eldo
crlombardi69
EatDirtFartDust
Cmurphy
Bowersk
flyineagle96
J. Chris Davis
Abaddon
Fastbuick95
BMD
madrivage
envus87
stan
Tank
krazyfish
DEMonte1997
Hometown Hero
TheAviator
robotennis61
sburch23
No-Lift
parrot5254
charged95riv
manofmany
L67
97 park ave
StrictlyBusiness
sqrivi
97rivsc
patillac
EASHER
1wickedninja
curious riv
captshiner
Snowdog
Rickw
SuperRiv07
jamie
KillaKeninaRiv
riviera2454
deekster_caddy
Chicken
SamsSC
Supercharged
Steve98
ewolfe0050
Shintsu
Joey98riv
IBx1
ibmoses
texasfan010
mr.19982tone
palermocorey90
TonySmooth89
97Riv-Jon
Buapo
Archangel
Ridin-Rivi
oldsman105
mcgusto82
TradeMark
Natesriv
97rivman
RivMan
54_nailhead
Rivster
Rebekahssm
T Riley
¤DoughBoy¤
SpaceBar
mayfair4life187
dreww
Jack the R
1998 Riv
RhinoFLA
AA
jimmyriv
bumpyknucks
99Rivman
jax95riv
SoCal Riv
turtleman
gosloriv
Blowin95
Mr.Riviera
racinfan
xxsupergman25xx
143 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 37, 38, 39

New wheels for 95 Triple black??
Yes
FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_lcap33%FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
No
FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_lcap67%FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 9:45 pm

No, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling and why would I - the tires are the very same.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
No, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling and why would I - the tires are the very same.

DeepFrozen wrote:
these STS rims are noticeably lighter than my new ones.

Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am

Oh, that ))
Heavier rims should affect number of things, of course. But let me tell you this. Several months ago my rear sway bar snapped at the end so the sway bar link disconnected and the sway bar stopped doing its job completely. And I didn't notice ANY difference - it gives you a hint of what kind of driver I am ) I drive very gently, I never corner hard, I never exceed speed limits (on purpose). So - no, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling with heavier rims.

P.S. I still haven't fixed my rear sway bar )
Back to top Go down
MaxLegroom

Name : Robert Smith
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 11:18 am

The matter of weight is paramount on any aftermarket rims I'd buy. Fortunately, Tire Rack lists the weight of their wheels, and allows you to filter them by weight. FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 HiDMAl3
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Steve98

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 3:17 pm

The only non-stock wheels I've ever seen on a Riv that I liked enough to buy are those cool 18" 5x120 chrome Lacrosse rims Dave (ghpcnm) put on.

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 GkHcRE4

I'm trying to decide if I can make them work.

My stock 12-spoke rims have a +32 offset and the Lacrosse rims have a +42 offset. That means, if my understanding is correct, that the Lacrosse rims - if the bolt pattern actually matched - would move the wheels 10mm inward when mounted. The wheel's wider width comes into play so that the net result, I think, is that the Lacrosse wheels would end up 2.7mm further out than the stock ones.

But of course the bolt patterns don't match and the only local shops I can find willing to do a redrill each want $200 per wheel, which I refuse to pay. So I've decided to go with adapters. I know that's not ideal, but if I get quality American-made ones and install them properly, I should be OK. I don't drive my Riv hard at all and really not even that much (about 3k per year). I think it's a reasonable risk if I am careful.

But then there's the question of how wide the adapters will be and how much width can be added before the car looks bad. I haven't yet determined the necessary width to ensure a flush wheel mount, but let's assume 1.5 inches. That would mean the wheels would protrude 1.6 inches wider than the stock wheels, which would make them just a mm or two wider than the fenders. I'm not sure how that would look. I might actually like that look or it could look silly. Has anyone mounted wheels that protruded outward that much? Do my calculations seem correct?
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 pm

That would work for me.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2020 12:46 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
Oh, that ))
Heavier rims should affect number of things, of course. But let me tell you this. Several months ago my rear sway bar snapped at the end so the sway bar link disconnected and the sway bar stopped doing its job completely. And I didn't notice ANY difference - it gives you a hint of what kind of driver I am )  I drive very gently, I never corner hard, I never exceed speed limits (on purpose). So - no, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling with heavier rims.

P.S. I still haven't fixed my rear sway bar )

I have seen your Russian dash cam vids. You're going to have to dodge someone someday, so you might want to have that sway bar working for you.
Back to top Go down
Calvin90
Amateur

Name : Calvin Buenavides
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2020 10:24 pm

Steve98 wrote:
The only non-stock wheels I've ever seen on a Riv that I liked enough to buy are those cool 18" 5x120 chrome Lacrosse rims Dave (ghpcnm) put on.

My stock 12-spoke rims have a +32 offset and the Lacrosse rims have a +42 offset. That means, if my understanding is correct, that the Lacrosse rims - if the bolt pattern actually matched - would move the wheels 10mm inward when mounted. The wheel's wider width comes into play so that the net result, I think, is that the Lacrosse wheels would end up 2.7mm further out than the stock ones.

But of course the bolt patterns don't match and the only local shops I can find willing to do a redrill each want $200 per wheel, which I refuse to pay. So I've decided to go with adapters. I know that's not ideal, but if I get quality American-made ones and install them properly, I should be OK. I don't drive my Riv hard at all and really not even that much (about 3k per year). I think it's a reasonable risk if I am careful.

But then there's the question of how wide the adapters will be and how much width can be added before the car looks bad. I haven't yet determined the necessary width to ensure a flush wheel mount, but let's assume 1.5 inches. That would mean the wheels would protrude 1.6 inches wider than the stock wheels, which would make them just a mm or two wider than the fenders. I'm not sure how that would look. I might actually like that look or it could look silly. Has anyone mounted wheels that protruded outward that much? Do my calculations seem correct?

I have seen a lot of rims with the same design on 4wheelonline. It looks stylish but I am really not a fan of glossy wheels.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2020 9:10 pm

I agree they would look beautiful but that's probably an awful lot of work.
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

Name : Dave Derhak
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyThu Jun 03, 2021 12:03 am

17 inch rims. Tires are to be updated to 235/50 17s shortly . These are only 215/45 17s now that came with the wheels off of a guess what .... (without using image search)FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 20210510
FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 20210511
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

PostSubject: Wheel Adapters   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyThu Jun 03, 2021 12:24 am

Steve98 wrote:

I had wheel adapters custom made to be HUB CENTRIC. Most adapters are BOLT CENTRIC because of differing hub sizes that share this pattern, and wheel choices. . A Riviera is 5 x 115mm with a 70.3mm center bore. My chosen wheels are 5 x 114.3mm or 4.5" with a 60.4mm center bore. The adapters are 1.25 inches thick, although 0.75" would be a better choice. So my adapters have a 70.3 to match the car hub and a 60.4 to match the wheel. The 5x114 was chosen as its a popular OEM wheel size and I am using an OEM wheel that's easily replaced if damaged.

Chrysler uses 5x115 on chargers, challengers and 300s..but the bore is 71.6mm so hub spacers would make them hub centric on a Riv and theres some cool wheels in that parts bin. The offset on the Dodge is 24mm and 35mm on the Riv so there'sFAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 20210512
a 10 millimeter diff pushing the wheels out slightly but in a good way. My offset is 19mm with the adapters and I would say thats the limit on the Riviera.
Back to top Go down
dbriviera
dbriviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyThu Jun 03, 2021 12:25 am

Useful website to compare offsets and tire sizes

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/buick/riviera/1998/
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 11:42 pm

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Z06-06

C5 Z06 rims.  I believe these are 18's.  They're also more period correct than the C4 ZR1 rims.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

Name : Mek

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 12:31 pm

Jack the R wrote:
FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Z06-06

C5 Z06 rims.  I believe these are 18's.  They're also more period correct than the C4 ZR1 rims.
yes yes yes! i have c6 wheels and they would look amazing but they dont fit, ill have to get me a set of c5 or the zo6 wheels. i was right about to post my new wheels i got on the riv
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 12:50 pm

These may not fit any better, and they're harder to find. I saw a set on eBay and they wanted nearly $3000 for rims with curb rash and no tires. I'd rather have clean reproductions unless there's a big difference in quality.

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

Name : Mek

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 pm

Jack the R wrote:
These may not fit any better, and they're harder to find.   I saw a set on eBay and they wanted nearly $3000 for rims with curb rash and no tires.  I'd rather have clean reproductions unless there's a big difference in quality.  

$3,000 is crazy, i can buy a whole corvette with that much! sheesh.. i coulda bought my riviera 5 times with that amount
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 1:45 pm

I was curious about how good the replica wheels are. They look great in the pictures and they're priced well. Most of this era vette wheels are forged and I would not want a cast reproduction of a forged design. I rounded up used oem wheels and frankly not the nicest ones but they still get the job done! Those zo6 wheels looks really good too
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 1:17 am

Good point about cast vs forged.  Here is a source for the C5 Z06 rims in chrome, but it doesn't say whether they're cast or forged - Link

CorvetteMods.com has the C7 Z06 rims too, but they're cast - Link

I bet that rim would look great on a Riviera too, but it's not period, FWIW.

Here's an article about cast vs forged - Link

Quote :
Contrary to what some enthusiasts will tell you, cast wheels are not terrible. A properly built cast wheel will weigh more than a forged wheel, but the build quality is typically more than enough for street use and light track use. Heavy track usage is where you’ll see low-quality cast wheels (often replica wheels) fail, resulting in an ugly crash. A high-quality cast wheel will survive heavy track usage, but the heavier design it not ideal.

Now I know why the eBay seller wants $3000 for a set of rough Z06 rims!

It sounds like the best way to approach this is to have cast for normal street usage and a set of forged with sticky rubber for those all-too-frequent Riviera track days rotf
Back to top Go down
Ro9beam
Special

Name : Rob Rob
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Did they make those with black mesh    FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 pm

MaxLegroom wrote:
For those who wondered what a Riv would look like with Bonneville diamond rims, this came up on Cars and Bids.  FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 DkL0SvE
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

Name : tommy z
Merit : 1

PostSubject: lesabre rims maybe   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 12:21 pm

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 2006_l10  5 x 115 17 inch, I was told they came off a 2006 lesabre but i dont see the buick trademark on the center caps? waitng to get center bore size and offset does anyone know if the 2006 lesabre wheels bolt up to a 1995 riv?

Last edited by Rivieraz on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add on)
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 12:30 pm

Nice!
But whoever puts weights on the outside of the rim, should be punished pirate

Rivieraz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Name : Luis
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 4:42 am

Rivieraz wrote:
FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 2006_l10  5 x 115 17 inch, I was told they came off a 2006 lesabre but i dont see the buick trademark on the center caps? waitng to get center bore size and offset does anyone know if the 2006 lesabre wheels bolt up to a 1995 riv?

If you're in the market for wheels I have 4 chrome Riv wheels for sale 😁
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv
Page 39 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 37, 38, 39