Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors

Go down 
+9
woggy
ibmoses
BMD
Buapo
Rickw
robotennis61
playa
AA
deekster_caddy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you buy a replacement mirror? How much would you pay?
heated
Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_lcap24%Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_rcap
 24% [ 6 ]
tinted
Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_lcap8%Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
heated and tinted
Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_lcap24%Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_rcap
 24% [ 6 ]
>$75-$149
Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_lcap44%Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_rcap
 44% [ 11 ]
>$150
Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_lcap0%Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 25

AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm

A while back my drivers side mirror developed the eternal green leak, the electro-chromatic tint fluid all leaked out. My car had the optional heated mirrors, but I couldn't find one of those. I was able to get a good condition tinting mirror, but couldn't find a heated one at the time, so I got it and put it in. No problem, tints fine, but doesn't heat.

So, this year I found a used driver's side mirror with the tinting and heating (defrost) in great shape. I finally got around to installing it, and it says in the FSM to push with the flat end of a 2x4 until it snaps into place. Not wanting to scratch it, I also covered the end of the block with a few rags, but unfortunately frown frown it popped a fluid leak.

So, I put the non-heated on back in.

Here's my issue. I could care less about the tinting/dimming part. It's neat, but I've been fine without it for years and years in all my other cars. What I really miss is the heated part. It's a great way to dry the mirror off when it's got cold morning dew on it, and deicing in the winter is great.

GM sold it's stock of these mirrors to a third party company who has 29 of them in stock according to their website, and they are charging well over $400 for them.

I am interested in finding a third party to make some of these, maybe a lot of 100 or something. As far as I know, the tint goes bad in every. single. one. So, just skip the tint, and make them clear with the defroster rows glue to the back of it.

What does everyone think? Who would buy one? How much would you pay? Would you want the crappy tinting that's just going to fail again? Or be sensible and skip it?

At this point I still have no idea who I could turn to to get one made, the only thing I know is that nobody makes one. I have a busted sample to send out if anybody knows someone.

Can we find out who actually made the original pieces for GM?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I would pay maybe $100 for a new, non-tinted, heated mirror. I'm in the market for one right now, too. Great idea, I hope we can find a supplier!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:20 pm

So that's what happened to my mirror. Glad to see I'm not the only one that's dealing with this.
I'd like to keep it stock in that respect but you're right. I called around and got a $324 quote mad
Regardless, is it difficult to remove the mirror (ie: has someone done a write-up?)
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 pm

mine too! there must be a way to service the mirror right? if the fluid gets in ,cant it come out?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 pm

playa wrote:
So that's what happened to my mirror. Glad to see I'm not the only one that's dealing with this.
I'd like to keep it stock in that respect but you're right. I called around and got a $324 quote mad
Regardless, is it difficult to remove the mirror (ie: has someone done a write-up?)
Yes there is a "Write Up" that has pic's of removing just the glass from the housing.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Wow... I was wondering what the hell was wrong with my mirror.

Now I know. I have to find this write-up...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:58 am

I have a couple of inquiries in with PPG auto glass, they do make a "fit over" mirror with tinting, but I'm not sure how that would work without the wiring... Has anyone ever tried it?

I sent emails to a couple of high level people at PPG, I'm curious to see what they come back with.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 1:14 pm

In the event that a third party agrees to make the mirrors, will we be re-using the black frame that surrounds the mirror and mounts to the motor? Becuase correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the mirrors "gooped" on there really well?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 1:51 pm

BMD wrote:
In the event that a third party agrees to make the mirrors, will we be re-using the black frame that surrounds the mirror and mounts to the motor? Becuase correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the mirrors "gooped" on there really well?

yeah, I'll try to go that route first. I don't think any of us wants to use a 'stick on' replacement. I am looking for a long-term fix here.

If anybody knows of another contact who manufactures parts like this, please do let me know.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Did you know that the PPG fit-over mirror's for the Riv (not universal) are available at www.autopartswarehouse.com
I know this isn't a solution to the need for a replacement heated mirror, but I was wondering do you think the heat from a working heated mirror, that has cracked and oozed or just turned yellow/gold, would penetrate the fit-over mirror and provide some de-ice and de-fog capabilities.?
I could re-install the cracked heated mirror that still heats and put one of these replacement mirrors over the top of it.
An electrochomic tinted replacement is under $50.00 from them.
Anyone have any thoughts on this.??? Do you think it would work. ?????
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Rickw wrote:
Did you know that the PPG fit-over mirror's for the Riv (not universal) are available at www.autopartswarehouse.com
I know this isn't a solution to the need for a replacement heated mirror, but I was wondering do you think the heat from a working heated mirror, that has cracked and oozed or just turned yellow/gold, would penetrate the fit-over mirror and provide some de-ice and de-fog capabilities.?
I could re-install the cracked heated mirror that still heats and put one of these replacement mirrors over the top of it.
An electrochomic tinted replacement is under $50.00 from them.
Anyone have any thoughts on this.??? Do you think it would work. ?????

I think I discussed this, if not I meant to. I also asked PPG directly for more specifics about the fit-over mirror, if it would heat through from the OE heated mirror or not.

Also, I asked for specifics about how the wiring for the tinting would work. Would the wires just go around the stock mirror? (ugly, at risk of damage?)

Nobody from PPG has returned my emails, though.

Is anyone aware of another manufacturer who produces a similar piece?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:33 pm

From the pictures I saw on Auto Parts Warehouse there are no wires. It must be some other type / technology for the Auto-Dim feature.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:40 pm

I like the idea of the PPG fit over mirror. Even if it uses an adhesive, that really doesn't bother me. Should hold pretty well with all that surface area. I think the heat would transfer though, too.

If it has no wires, great. If it does, could just drill a hole through the old mirror and route them through. I'm thinking about buying this just to see if it holds up through winter.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:44 pm

They are having a sale of 10%-20% off on everything through Labor Day. (the 6th)
Use code "LABORDAY2009"

NEVER MIND, that's for item's totaling over $100.00
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Hmmm.. anyone wanna go halves on a couple?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 6:00 pm

i still dont,after reading through this thread, why it cant be fixed? isntt there a way,a chemical to be use3d that would reverse this problem?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Also, be careful about the measurements. They list 2 different mirrors for Direct Fit but have slightly different measurements. I measured my mirror and one of them would work very good, size wise.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 6:22 pm

I think I got pissed off after cracking the replacement mirror and threw it away. I can't find any broken heated mirror's in my Riviera inventory.
This sucks, now I can't try this with the PPG replacement.
I guess I'm still on the look out for a OEM used heated replacement.
Have a couple of non-heated ones.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 7:53 pm

AA wrote:
Hmmm.. anyone wanna go halves on a couple?

Sounds like a plan to me. I need one for the 99 Riv. Let me know if you decide to go for it.

You guys figured out which one would work.

I also figure the heat transfer might work with these but down here its not really necessary to have the heated mirrors.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 5:17 am

ibmoses wrote:
You guys figured out which one would work.Bert tavis
Bert, you'll have to measure the overall length and height of mirror to check for proper replacement glass size.
As I mentioned there are two possible sizes, depending on your mirror, for some reason !!!

Last edited by Rickw on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 9:17 am

I'll test mule the "fit-over" on top of the heated OEM and see if the defrost action comes through. It's cheap enough to test.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:55 am

Let us know after you've had it on for a while about the heat issue and if you could report on the fit and finish of it, that would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 11:10 am

I ordered the PPG electrochromatic tinting one from "car-stuff.com". PPG part number B471186

I'll take pics and all that, be assured we'll see a thorough review. It was $48.00 with shipping.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 11:14 am

Do you know if it is the same P/N as the one available at Auto Parts Warehouse.?

Never mind, i just looked it up and it is the same P/N, just less expensive.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 11:55 am

Here is another source, I think its the same part but not positive (yet)

Edit: I went ahead and "pulled the trigger" ---it was $31.49 shipped

Deek if it is the exact same part, car-stuff.com says they guarantee the lowest price so perhaps they will match the price.

By the way Deek. good job startting this thread. clap

http://market.autopartsfair.com/buick-exterior_parts/riviera-1999-mirrors-b471186.html

Bert tavis

Last edited by ibmoses on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors   Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors Empty

Back to top Go down

Group Buy: Drivers Side Heated Mirrors
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next