Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation

Go down 
+43
stan
charlieRobinson
joshuadalegrimes
llamalor2112
abaucom
al_roethlisberger
69GSColorado
BMD
ghpcnm
dboydakid
Eldo
vovchik
robotennis61
#1BearsFan
Rickw
LARRY70GS
Mr.Riviera
TonySmooth89
patillac
KillaKeninaRiv
ibmoses
ToledoRIv
sburch23
Kustom Kreationz
oldsman105
jimmyriv
IBx1
ewolfe0050
Natesriv
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Ridin-Rivi
robertwolf86
T Riley
turtleman
97rivman
AA
racinfan
xxsupergman25xx
SpaceBar
Jack the R
99Rivman
97Riv-Jon
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Guys,
Just noticed something really strange. On the passenger side door overlay, the labeling for the door lock switch is reversed. The word "Lock" is inboard instead of outboard. Caught that when I reached into the window to unlock the door and kept locking it instead. I immediately called and e-mailed www.carid.com, and they are handling it great. They are getting me a replacement overlay for the door, free of charge of course. Wonder how that happened. The driver's side door is correctly labeled.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Whoever made the graphic put the text backwards in Photoshop.
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

Name : vovchik
Merit : -6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Riv brothers i need an opinion...
i've looked though all the posts (its not like i have nothing better to do its just that i love my baby to much) and i guess sherwood is the best option BUT there are no parts for the rear...is that right?
Now im just concerned because about a year maybe 2 ago i ordered a dash kit for my 01 suzuki xl-7...when i got the shit i wasnt happy at all and after a few days i put it up, took it off right away it was pure sticker dash kit, i never seen such a cheap quality which wasnt even 2D... im not sure but i think it was the BD kit... and im just afraid that its going 2 happen again... but i do have to do something about it because my interior is to much of the same dark tone... thanks to anyone that would read and reply...
Back to top Go down
https://s860.photobucket.com/albums/ab168/vovchik_88/
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 6:55 pm

vovchik wrote:
i've looked though all the posts (its not like i have nothing better to do its just that i love my baby to much) and i guess sherwood is the best option BUT there are no parts for the rear...is that right?
Now im just concerned because about a year maybe 2 ago i ordered a dash kit for my 01 suzuki xl-7...when i got the shit i wasnt happy at all and after a few days i put it up, took it off right away it was pure sticker dash kit, i never seen such a cheap quality which wasnt even 2D... im not sure but i think it was the BD kit... and im just afraid that its going 2 happen again... but i do have to do something about it because my interior is to much of the same dark tone... thanks to anyone that would read and reply...

No pieces for the rear in the Sherwood kit, but the BD kit that Jack installed had some for the rear armrests.

I'm not sure what you want to know, but the Sherwood kit I installed was not a simple sticker.
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 7:12 pm

what about the BD?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 7:24 pm

vovchik wrote:
what about the BD?

What about it? All I know is what Jack wrote in this thread. It wasn't good. He wasn't that happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 8:19 pm

vovchik - If you were able to remove the overlays, it wasn't a BD Trims kit. Those pieces will not come off.

Write the company you're interested in and ask for samples.

If you're willing to ride the hell out of BD Trims and spend months nagging them for replacement pieces, you can eventually get a good dash kit out of them. It won't have the lettering for the window switches, but it will look good. My problem was, I got several pieces with dust in them, and several with damage to the surface that looked like they'd been stacked on top of each other before they were cured. It took a long time to get clean replacement pieces. Some pieces they had to redo 3 time before they could produce a clean copy.

I have one installed piece where the top layer started coming up, just a little, but it hasn't progressed. In another place it looks like the print layer is developing a bumpiness. Neither fault is really noticeable, but neither should have happened at all.

I'm very happy with the final result I got, but Lordy it was a fight getting there.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 8:29 pm

vovchik wrote:
As Jack said you can request samples online from some of these companies.
That will give you an idea of quality and color that you might be thinking about.
If you can live without the pieces for the rear of the car, I liked what i saw of the Sherwood Kit and that is the one I would buy. Just my $0.02.
Back to top Go down
vovchik
Amateur
vovchik

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 pm

you see guys i would love the quality of the sherwood kit with the quantity of the BD kit, please tell me theres another option if any of you guys are geminis you would know in what position im at right now... frown

yea and i dont really have the patience jack has.... ( 2 deal with crappy customer service... ive had enough with fcukin bell and rogers)
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 9:21 pm

I didn't install all the pieces in the BD kit. I wouldn't install all the pieces in the Sherwood kit.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Got the replacement passenger door overlay yesterday, and it was labeled correctly this time. Put it on right away. Had to trash the one that was on there to get it off, but it came off with some prying.

www.carid.com was a pleasure to deal with. They returned my e-mails promptly and expedited the replacement. I give them a big thumbs up, and wouldn't hesitate to give them my business again. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 8:30 am

I love all that wood, especially when it follows the natural lines into the door panels (hello GM stylists!!) I just can't get around the 'gaps' that are left between the beautiful new surfaces, and the original-color rings around the gauges, registers, etc...

If they included little concave blackout rings in their package, I'd be all over it!! dunno
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 am

Eldo wrote:
I love all that wood, especially when it follows the natural lines into the door panels (hello GM stylists!!) I just can't get around the 'gaps' that are left between the beautiful new surfaces, and the original-color rings around the gauges, registers, etc...

If they included little concave blackout rings in their package, I'd be all over it!! dunno

I guess some of us are more detail oriented than others. The kit makes such a vast improvement in an otherwise bland interior, and that is what I notice most. You could paint the areas you notice most. I think it wouldn't be hard for me to do that now come to think of it. Just have to get the right color.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 11:22 am

I think it looks GREAT!! thumbsup

LARRY70GS wrote:
I guess some of us are more detail oriented than others.
I disagree about being detail oriented, I am ANAL about details!!!
I just think this would be one person’s preference that is different than another person’s preference!

LARRY70GS wrote:
The kit makes such a vast improvement in an otherwise bland interior, and that is what I notice most.
agree
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 11:25 am

99Rivman wrote:
I think it looks GREAT!! thumbsup

LARRY70GS wrote:
I guess some of us are more detail oriented than others.
I disagree about being detail oriented, I am ANAL about details!!!
I just think this would be one person’s preference that is different than another person’s preference!

LARRY70GS wrote:
The kit makes such a vast improvement in an otherwise bland interior, and that is what I notice most.
agree

I thought detail oriented sounded better than ANAL lol
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

Name : noah rose
Merit : 0

PostSubject: woodgrain dash kit   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 am

has anyone bought or installed one of these ...if so ..where dod you get yours from? and how do you install it?
one interior shop told me 350 for it and install .

but if i can order it and do it myself..i can save money...thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 am

I got my kit from www.carid.com It's a Sherwood kit, and much nicer than the BD kit.

http://www.carid.com/1998-buick-riviera-wood-grain-dash-kits/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 1:13 pm

dboydakid wrote:
has anyone bought or installed one of these ...if so ..where dod you get yours from? and how do you install it?

If they're good, pay 'em and be done with it. This job can take time, and you don't want a misaligned piece permanently stuck to your car, or a piece with a bubble trapped underneath (be very careful to work the air out as you lay the piece on, if you do it yourself).
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Jack the R wrote:
dboydakid wrote:

If they're good, pay 'em and be done with it. This job can take time, and you don't want a misaligned piece permanently stuck to your car, or a piece with a bubble trapped underneath (be very careful to work the air out as you lay the piece on, if you do it yourself).

I agree, 350.00 installed is a good price. I paid about 250.00 for the kit. Mine was real Rosewood though. The hardest part was the actual dash piece. It consisted of the 2 largest pieces in the kit. I found it easier to completely remove the dash and take it inside to do. You need to take your time when lining it up to get the best fit. Once you press it down, it does not come apart easily. The rest of the install is easy. Most important, is to clean everything with Prep-Sol and rubbing alcohol to get all the wax and Armor-all off, so that you get good adhesion. The Sherwood kit I bought had the lettering labeling the switches. It was a well made kit.

dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 DashKit1

Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Larry is right...If you do it yourself, remove the dash and go with the Sherwood Kit. teach
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Has anyone ever used 3M 1080 sheets? I think everything would have to be removed to look OK but it would be much less expensive.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Scott:

I had to do a quick Google to learn exactly what you're talking about...I don't see why it wouldn't work and I would be interested to see someone try it.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Sure, you could use that. It would be more work I think, because you would have to cut it to fit around the gauges and switches. It wouldn't be labeled either, but I suppose that you could get around that. I like the wood grain look. I don't see that in the choices. What color would you use?

Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 pm

CHECK THIS OUT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DarTJsvbaQk&feature=related
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 pm

ghpcnm wrote:
CHECK THIS OUT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DarTJsvbaQk&feature=related

Wow, that's awesome. Love the ACDC too rock

That's a lot of work to do a dash! Wonder how durable it is.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   dash kits - Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation
Page 9 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next