Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rough start of warm series 1 engine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

Name : Jeff Del Vechio
Merit : 4

Rough start of warm series 1 engine Empty
PostSubject: Rough start of warm series 1 engine   Rough start of warm series 1 engine EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi all,
My 95 has been starting very rough recently.

It happens mainly on days that are above 50 degrees and ONLY when the car is warm. After it starts, it stumbles at around 300 RPM and then stallls. If I give it about 25 - 50% throttle it eventually revs up and runs clean after 5 - 8 seconds then runs perfectly fine.

Ive been going nuts trying to figure out what it is.
I've changed the plugs and wires, and cleaned the coil contacts and the ignition module (there was some corrosion).

Well I found this on the web today (a generic auto review site) that said the following:

Engine misfire: The idle may be rough when restarting a warm engine (supercharged) and is fixed by replacing the fuel-pressure regulator and computer MEM-CAL. (1995)

I had a mechanic replace the fuel pressure regulator about 3 months ago and the car ran great. the engine control module (under the hood) was replaced by a previous owner.

I have 2 questions:

1 - should I look at the FPR again or look at replacing the computer?

2 - referring to the "computer" do they mean the one under the glove box?

here is a link to the page... has some interesting info that I'm sure many of you already know... thought Id share>
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-1999-buick-riviera-2.htm

thanks for the help and sorry for being such a pain in the ass. gotta drive the old girl across the country in 6 days and want to be sure she's going to be OK.

Jeff 3gears
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Rough start of warm series 1 engine   Rough start of warm series 1 engine EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 pm

if you have a 95,and the Air idle control valve has never been cleaned. clean it. it helps a bunch. then the fuel filter if you haven't already. many of my driveability probs disappeared after i did these steps.
Back to top Go down
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

Name : Jeff Del Vechio
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Rough start of warm series 1 engine   Rough start of warm series 1 engine EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Ok robot thanks.
I am looking at taking the TB apart this weekend and cleaning everything but I'm having trouble finding the gasket locally. I may just take out the IAC and MAF and clean them without removing the TB.

I was wondering if the IAC would cause this... it seems like it gets gunked up from some of the pics Ive seen.

Im running seafoam in the gas and oil right now so I have my AC delco fuel filter ready to go in. Im going to be doing the seafoam intake treatment as well.

thanks

Jeff
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rough start of warm series 1 engine   Rough start of warm series 1 engine EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:17 am

Doing the Seafoam is a good preventive maintenance item.
But with the problem your having you should try hard to find the gaskets for the Throttle body and remove it along with the IAC and clean everything very good with the proper cleaning solution and a toothbrush.
Use TB cleaner from the parts store and get some MAF cleaner and carefully clean the MAF screen with a soft used toothbrush.
Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough start of warm series 1 engine   Rough start of warm series 1 engine Empty

Back to top Go down

Rough start of warm series 1 engine
Page 1 of 1