Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

front license plate removal

Go down 
+22
charlieRobinson
llamalor2112
stan
GMFreak8
97rivsc
Derek
97 park ave
robotennis61
Rickw
Eldo
DEMonte1997
1998 Riv
brians74x
jonly
Sweepspear
Ash
#1BearsFan
99Rivman
deekster_caddy
albertj
AA
KillaKeninaRiv
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

front license plate removal Empty
PostSubject: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Hey does anybody know an easy way to remove the front plastic plate? I got the two flathead screws but the other four seem to be rivets and I dont want to damage the bumper by tearing it off. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Drill out the rivets?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:15 pm

KillaKeninaRiv wrote:
Hey does anybody know an easy way to remove the front plastic plate? I got the two flathead screws but the other four seem to be rivets and I dont want to damage the bumper by tearing it off. Thanks!

If they are indeed rivets why not just drill them out? Or put a vanity plate in the holder and leave it?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

They should not be rivets, but plastic push-pins very similar to what holds the belly pan under the radiator. Pull on the centers with needle nose and you should be able to slide them right out.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

That was just in time. Im about to go and grab the needle nose...
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 pm

All that I have removed have had aluminum pop rivets holding them on? You have to be careful drilling them out, since they are popped into plastic they will/might spin on you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:40 am

I am sticking with my (some say ugly) vanity plate!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:48 am

Mine was held on only by screws. Maybe the brackets were put on by the dealer, and they use whatever method for attachment they prefer?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Mine is also held on by large metal rivets. I thought of drilling them out to remove the holder, but just decided to look for a riviera themed vanity plate of some sort. No luck yet.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:04 pm

My '96 has rivets I know.

Perhaps cars that are shipped to states like Florida that don't use a front plate don't have them mounted at the factory?
I know the '04 Jeep Gran Cherokee we bought was a fleet vehicle from Florida and I had to put the plate holder on.
It was in a bag with screws and instructions. It killed me to have to drill the holes in the bumper.

I wish all states would go to one plate.
Back to top Go down
jonly
Enthusiast
jonly

Name : james
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Ash wrote:
Mine is also held on by large metal rivets. I thought of drilling them out to remove the holder, but just decided to look for a riviera themed vanity plate of some sort. No luck yet.
http://www.rivowners.org/clubcor.html
front license plate removal Licenseplate
?
Back to top Go down
brians74x
Enthusiast
brians74x

Name : Brian
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Mine didn't have one on the front because it was from PA. I got pulled over by a statey a got a warning so I had put the stupid front plate on. Look a lot better without. frown stupid ohio law.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Sweepspear wrote:
My '96 has rivets I know.

Perhaps cars that are shipped to states like Florida that don't use a front plate don't have them mounted at the factory?
I know the '04 Jeep Gran Cherokee we bought was a fleet vehicle from Florida and I had to put the plate holder on.
It was in a bag with screws and instructions. It killed me to have to drill the holes in the bumper.

I wish all states would go to one plate.

Mine was a Florida car, no license plate holder. I suspect they were all dealer-installed in states that required them, thus varying fastening methods.

City police pulled me over this winter, going a bit too fast, and got just a verbal warning for the missing plate, after I told him it was in the trunk. Sure am happy I didn't have to install one.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 4:28 pm

1998 Riv wrote:

Mine was a Florida car, no license plate holder. I suspect they were all dealer-installed in states that required them, thus varying fastening methods.

City police pulled me over this winter, going a bit too fast, and got just a verbal warning for the missing plate, after I told him it was in the trunk. Sure am happy I didn't have to install one.

So, you never put the front plate on then?
The cars look so much cleaner without them.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 4:59 pm

When I initially got my Riv, that was the first thing I took off. IIRC, it was just screws. Guess I lucked out. Front plates suck.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 5:24 pm

OH Riviera owner, 7 years so far with no front plate, not pulled over for it yet. I have been pulled over for other stuff, but they never bring up the plate thing. Also no problem being pulled over in NC.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Same here in CT. Regal sans front plate for over 5 years now and Riv hasn't had one for over a year as well.
Back to top Go down
brians74x
Enthusiast
brians74x

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 pm

AA wrote:
OH Riviera owner, 7 years so far with no front plate, not pulled over for it yet. I have been pulled over for other stuff, but they never bring up the plate thing. Also no problem being pulled over in NC.
My streak of having no front plate lasted a little bit over a month gripe D@mn state highway patrol shouldn't u be looking for drunk drivers and other more important things??....... shout
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Sweepspear wrote:
1998 Riv wrote:

I won't put a front plate on until the day they write a ticket for it. In what, 3 years, I've been stopped just one time for speeding, and no big deal was made of the front plate, other than asking me about it. I highly doubt I'd ever get stopped just for the plate.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:14 am

Sweepspear wrote:
1998 Riv wrote:

Which is exactly the look Im going for. It takes away from the naturally curving lines with that plastic black box.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am

1998 Riv wrote:

I won't put a front plate on until the day they write a ticket for it. In what, 3 years, I've been stopped just one time for speeding, and no big deal was made of the front plate, other than asking me about it. I highly doubt I'd ever get stopped just for the plate.

While I am tempted to remove it, the cops around here just look for things like this to pull people over for. nono
It also seems they pay more attention to my Riviera than any car I have owned in a long time. I don't know what the deal is. Might be a trouble maker that owns one the same color as mine or something, but on more than one occasion I have had them speed up and pull up on my bumper, pale then back off which makes me think they are running the plate.
One even did a U-turn in the street after passing me going the other direction to do this.

Makes me feel 18 again. lmao
Back to top Go down
brians74x
Enthusiast
brians74x

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 12:30 pm

I had a cop tailgate so close that I couldn't even see his head lights in my 87 turbo T for a block once.... if I had a pos car I would have slammed my brakes on and turned on my turn signal just to have him hit me.... Fricken moron!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

My front plate looks just fine. Others in this state have gotten tickets for it. It's obeying the law, therefore does not make the car look any different than any other car.

When I bought the car I made the dealer buy a front plate bracket from Buick for me. It looks fine.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 9:19 pm

I agree with the majority: that damned license plate is the only flat surface on the front of the car, it's larger than the bumper, and looks like an afterthought... or a limpet!

Mine is also riveted, and I'm sure the installation was left up to the dealers/customers.

Things are probably only going to get worse, as more & more jurisdictions discover the profits to found in Lidar and Red-light cameras...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Does LIDAR need the front license plate.? I didn't think so, but could be wrong as I only know that has been the only speeding ticket I couldn't talk my way out of to the court magistrate.

Where I am, we have no camera's yet, but who knows, maybe after the credit crunch and economy recovers we can get some of that Big City Technology here too. I'm sure Bubba be waitin on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal Empty

Back to top Go down

front license plate removal
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next