Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

front license plate removal

Go down 
+22
charlieRobinson
llamalor2112
stan
GMFreak8
97rivsc
Derek
97 park ave
robotennis61
Rickw
Eldo
DEMonte1997
1998 Riv
brians74x
jonly
Sweepspear
Ash
#1BearsFan
99Rivman
deekster_caddy
albertj
AA
KillaKeninaRiv
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

front license plate removal - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 pm

In some states that may true that you don't need a front plate if it wasn't equipped but not in Jersey where ALL cars must have a front plate visible. I've had to drill into pristine bumpers to mount ugly plate holders onto 2 of my cars because of it. A cop buddy of mine told me its acceptable to mount it on the dashboard as long as there is nowhere on the bumper to put it and its secured in place.
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 4:45 pm

ya......there are two holes in my front bumper.........i need to get taken care of.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 1:42 pm

AA wrote:
Part of me thinks this chrome Lambo would be easy to track with laser; the other part thinks it may be near impossible:

front license plate removal - Page 3 London_chrome_lamborghini

i get exactly what youre saying, i think if he hit the hood there would be no chance of refletction but maybe on the bumper or mirror. but still even then its not exactly flat.
im just going to go all out and create a cloaking device... lol
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Just get a laser jammer. Most places it's not illegal to use, and are actually very effective, unlike radar jammers that are illegal and don't work at all really. Combine a laser jammer with a Valentine One, and know how laser and radar work and you'll be good to go.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't know the answer, but I wonder how it is that radar jammers could be illegal, and laser jammers okay? Both of these devices interfere with the officer's ability to do his job. Is it an FCC thing?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 pm

AA wrote:
I don't know the answer, but I wonder how it is that radar jammers could be illegal, and laser jammers okay? Both of these devices interfere with the officer's ability to do his job. Is it an FCC thing?

Like anything new, it takes years for the government to catch up with reality. I think it's just the fact that laser is rather new and not widely used in a lot of places compared to radar, so there isn't that many laws on the books regarding the regulation of it. I'm sure it'll eventually be illegal. Until then you can still buy them. Even afterwards you probably will be able to, you'll just have to be more vigilant in where in the vehicle you place it.

It's just like police scanners in this state. They're illegal, but that doesn't stop many from carrying them in vehicles, including me. I'll be damned if I'm not going to carry a laser jammer just because it's illegal. If the cops can play games to catch speeders, well then as far as I'm concerned I can play games right back.

The law doesn't stop me from carrying a cell phone jammer either. I love turning that thing on whenever someone is talking loud as hell on their cell phone and is annoying as hell. The look when their phone cuts out is priceless.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 9:18 pm

GMFreak8 wrote:
AA wrote:

Like anything new, it takes years for the government to catch up with reality. I think it's just the fact that laser is rather new and not widely used in a lot of places compared to radar, so there isn't that many laws on the books regarding the regulation of it. I'm sure it'll eventually be illegal. Until then you can still buy them. Even afterwards you probably will be able to, you'll just have to be more vigilant in where in the vehicle you place it.

It's just like police scanners in this state. They're illegal, but that doesn't stop many from carrying them in vehicles, including me. I'll be damned if I'm not going to carry a laser jammer just because it's illegal. If the cops can play games to catch speeders, well then as far as I'm concerned I can play games right back.

The law doesn't stop me from carrying a cell phone jammer either. I love turning that thing on whenever someone is talking loud as hell on their cell phone and is annoying as hell. The look when their phone cuts out is priceless.

Where did you find a cellphone jammer? They have those on the Hummers in Iraq, so that they cant detonate IEDs
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 9:50 pm

KillaKeninaRiv wrote:
GMFreak8 wrote:
AA wrote:

Where did you find a cellphone jammer? They have those on the Hummers in Iraq, so that they cant detonate IEDs

They are legal in the UK and actually a lot of movie theaters there apparently use them. You can buy them online from there and have them shipped. It's amazing what is outlawed in this so called free country but isn't in other areas.

And I know some people may think I'm an ass as far as the cop thing goes but after you have a good radar detector for awhile you realize just how dirty and sneaky some cops are setting up traps. It's really aggravating when a cop drives right on your ass and uses you as cover when hitting oncoming traffic with instant on just so those who have radar detectors can't react fast enough, or they hide in someone's driveway facing the other direction and use the rear facing radar to trick people into thinking they aren't going to be hit. It's just given me an even more bitter taste in my mouth regarding cops.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 11:50 pm

I won't even get into the discussion of cops, politicians, and using citizen-drivers as revenue-enhancing ATM's; suffice it to say they are generally hypocritical scum...

As for the question regarding laser-jamming, I do have a very simple explanation: The FCC has the right to regulate and control radio waves in the public spectrum. They don't (yet) have the right to regulate light...
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:53 am

i hate cops, dont even get me started...
i dont understand the "rule of law" if police still seem to be able to do what they want. like how they speed but whos ever going to pull them over? or how they can have tint on their cars but nobody else in the state of MN can have below 50% tint? so much for "to protect and serve", ive never experienced either, just harassment.
if i ever become a cop it will be to pull over other cops, and actually do my job and quit ruining peoples lives...
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:11 pm

I always wanted my car without a front l.plate....
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 pm

12 more years til I can legally go without the front plate in this state. Sigh.....
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 pm

I have my plate under my mat so at any moment I can put it in my windshield at any given notice.

I will NEVER bolt it on. NEVER.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:42 pm

The front plate is such a disease....makes the car so ugly..pfff.....+ there are this expensive cars Ferraris,Lambos,McLarens....they aren't designed for plates....hahaha...
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 pm

I thought it was great how my Riv and yours sat at about the same height because my shocks/struts were so worn out haha. Us Michiganders dont need front plates cool 
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Well, yall cursed me. Thanks.

I got pulled over for no front plate yesterday..

Just a warning cause I have a pretty smile and big tits.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 10:28 pm

I've gotten by 10 years with no traffic ticket for missing plate. I also keep mine on the rear floor and throw it up on the dash when needed. One day I got pulled over with plate in the dash - officer said he pulls people over for this because A) plate in dash isn't a legal place to display (must be on front-most panel of vehicle) and B) it's a safety hazard because during an impact a loose plate can slice your face. Can't argue there. He let me go with a warning, but I don't like the plate in the window anyway because it can scratch the dash board, and it's unsafe like he said.

I've got one of these on the GTO. Works pretty well, so thinking about getting one for the Riv soon:

http://www.pfyc.com/GN1046.html

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 10:36 pm

I like that. You could get the one with the motor in it so that if you get pulled over you just press a button and nobody would be the wiser. I sense a write up coming?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Yeah. Right below the front bumper, in front of the lower intake would be a good spot!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 11:20 pm

If you take the front plate out of the OEM holder and kinda trim it a little & bend and shape it to follow the curves of the bumper,it dont look half bad.I did this and it was totally acceptable to my keen sense of asthetics grimace 
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:05 am

ohh that's cool Aaron.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:02 am

Only thing about the motorized version. If you do get pulled over because of the missing plate, then remotely activate it during the stop, it's gonna piss off the cop. You won't convince them they didn't see it and they'll probably give you a ticket for being smart.

I prefer the manual option. If I get stopped, I'd get out and show the cop my bracket (installed for easier washing of the bumper, obviously) and say, "Oh, did I forget to flip that up? Sorry 'bout that. Won't happen again."

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: temp   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 am

Ohh yeah that's smart....I like the idea.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 pm

This whole topic is hilarious to me. Is the front plate bracket that bad? I think you guys are overreacting. Just put the front plate on if you live where front plates are required.

It's too bad they don't build front license plate areas into the design of cars anymore, it would be so much better if the factory just acknowledged that it's necessary for compliance and included it in the original design, instead of the sometimes gangly after-the-fact front plate brackets, but you do what you gotta do. Why add another reason for cops to stop you?
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 pm

I don't think the factory bracket and license plate look bad on these cars at all. In fact, I think the front bumper covers look a bit plain without them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: front license plate removal   front license plate removal - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

front license plate removal
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next