Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bad Valve Cover Gasket

Go down 
+4
albertj
Tank
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 am

Tank wrote:
Good call Albert! I got some bad wiring in this thing! Must have been a half-a$$ install on the new engine.

I've noticed that albertj is GREAT at diagnosis.... clap

Enthusiast
Tank

Name : Shawn
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Well I kno the engine was blown the first time...but I am shur that's why I got it so cheap was the wiring lol.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 10:45 am

Karma wrote:
Tank wrote:
Good call Albert! I got some bad wiring in this thing! Must have been a half-a$$ install on the new engine.

I've noticed that albertj is GREAT at diagnosis.... clap

Thanks, you all are super teachers.

By the way how much time should I allow to replace valve cover gaskets on an S II SC 3800? My mech at dealer was looking for a coolant leak (isn't one apparently) and noticed mine were kind of runny. Could one of you with access to flat rate book tell me what the time is (then I'll double that. I am not a mech.)

Thanks

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Tank
Enthusiast
Tank

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 11:17 am

I could when I get to class...but someone will prolly already have it by then. I think it took us...being students...3 or 4 hours and that was going slow and carefull so. Also I been seeing the drilled Tstat on sig's. What's the process and benefits??
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 pm

albertj wrote:
By the way how much time should I allow to replace valve cover gaskets on an S II SC 3800? My mech at dealer was looking for a coolant leak (isn't one apparently) and noticed mine were kind of runny. Could one of you with access to flat rate book tell me what the time is (then I'll double that. I am not a mech.)

If you do this job yourself Albert would you be so kind as to pass on any tips or what exactly you may have had to remove first before being able to remove the valve cover?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:17 pm

This write-up may be of help for your '96 Series II engine:

Link

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Tank wrote:
I could when I get to class...but someone will prolly already have it by then. I think it took us...being students...3 or 4 hours and that was going slow and carefull so. Also I been seeing the drilled Tstat on sig's. What's the process and benefits??

OK so absent other info I am looking at a ~3-4 hour tie-up? And the 'dark horse' tool is a shop vac.

Hmmm....

i know that having the LIM gaskets replaced would run me $300. Maybe the thing to do is identify and get the gaskets from the LIM up and do 'em all.

I will look again at the info in the FSM, I just could not figure out from that how long I should expect it to take.

geez, it was 1/2 hour job on my old Rambler... 45 min on a Chrysler 2.5 and on a Chrysler 2.2 turbo... what am I missing here? they are just valve covers for cryin out loud... Please set me straight on this one.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:47 pm

AA wrote:
This write-up may be of help for your '96 Series II engine:

Link

Wow, what a write up, very detailed and clearer than an FSM! Thanks Aaron wink
Back to top Go down
Tank
Enthusiast
Tank

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Well like I said it was a slow process lol there really isnt that much involved. We had something else going on at the same time so maybe wasnt the whole time we were just working on that. I have so much other stuff going on in this thing so I am prolly way off the normal time.
Back to top Go down
Tank
Enthusiast
Tank

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Well my baby is back! I guess I had corrosion all over my wires going into the ecm. So what causes that?? Had to re do all 20 or so wires I guess.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 5:44 pm

cold weather can do incredible things to wiring. my old legend also had the same problems u speak of....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad Valve Cover Gasket   Bad Valve Cover Gasket - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad Valve Cover Gasket
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2