Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster

Go down 
+9
robotennis61
black shadow
Eldo
deekster_caddy
DEMonte1997
albertj
Tank
Derek
brian10962001
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster   Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:20 am

Don't feel you have to only do Monroes. I used Gabriels on my a week ago. That said, do replace them. I was very surprised at the diffeerence in handling and sway. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference. Was tempted to try the uber expensive sachs touring edition ones, but that was literally twice the cost. By the way, Autozone has a special on the Gabriel shocks right now (a week after I bought mine - go figure frown

I may have missed it but did you get a chance to gut your airbox?

Another thing that some may disagree with, but I used Slick 50 fuel treatment on my car soon after I got it. I gained over 100 miles a tank and it ran so much better. Mind you, I got it at 19,000 miles so just in that limited time, people using lower octane gas did that.

Good luck and lets see some pics.
Back to top Go down
brian10962001

Name : Brian Tucker
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster   Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:21 am

The monroe's I ordered are the 90007 conversion kit shocks. I would just replace and repair the air shocks, but the system doesn't work all together so it seemed the most economical route. The problem with the Monroe 90007's is that RockAuto, Shockwarehouse, and even O'Reilly's claim to have them in stock when you go to order them, but they're on a "national backorder". I've already gave Shockwarehouse my money since they weren't up front with the fact that they would be back ordered. RockAuto was the only company that actually went the extra distance and told me about the national backorder status and this was after I had already orderd with Shockwarehouse. Shockwarehouse just wrote me today (7/23) claiming that my shocks have been "pushed back until the middle of next month". Looks like I may end up working on that air ride after all.

Playa, I have actually run Gabriel shocks on my S10, and my 4X4 Blazer. The ones on the S10 didn't hold up all that well, but the newer style on my Blazer work fine to this day (Probably 20,000 miles of HARD use on and off road).
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster   Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:52 pm

They come with a lifetime warranty. That was the other reason I went with a local store versus online. I have a good relationship with my guys at Autozone (I know there are anti-AZ guys out there but so far, they've been more helpful than all others combined).

So for me, it made sense to buy the Gabriels since I'm keeping the car for as long as they still allow fuel burning motors (or a tree falls on it) afraid
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster   Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 2:33 pm

brian10962001 wrote:
The monroe's I ordered are the 90007 conversion kit shocks. I would just replace and repair the air shocks, but the system doesn't work all together so it seemed the most economical route. The problem with the Monroe 90007's is that RockAuto, Shockwarehouse, and even O'Reilly's claim to have them in stock when you go to order them, but they're on a "national backorder". I've already gave Shockwarehouse my money since they weren't up front with the fact that they would be back ordered. RockAuto was the only company that actually went the extra distance and told me about the national backorder status and this was after I had already orderd with Shockwarehouse. Shockwarehouse just wrote me today (7/23) claiming that my shocks have been "pushed back until the middle of next month". Looks like I may end up working on that air ride after all.

Playa, I have actually run Gabriel shocks on my S10, and my 4X4 Blazer. The ones on the S10 didn't hold up all that well, but the newer style on my Blazer work fine to this day (Probably 20,000 miles of HARD use on and off road).

You can probably get whatever other parts you need to fix the air-ride from moradpartscompany.com. I did not know you were looking for conversion , I thought you were looking for the air shocks. As far as your story goes that is one reason I like dealing with RockAuto.

That said, if you want a conversion kit try strutmasters.com - their main business is doing coilovers and coil-spring-based changeover kits for air-ride Lincolns and Caddies - the Buick Riviera air ride is like that on some Caddies and IIRC they have a conversion kit that fits the RIv just fine.

I ran Gabriel struts with VST on the fronts of my Riv for several years, replaced them only because the cases had rusted thru and they began to leak oil. They never actually quit working, I just did not want to have them on when they did finally quit. I liked the Gabriels ride better than that of the Monroes and way better than the OE's.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
brian10962001

PostSubject: Re: Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster   Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Figured I would update this. The Monroe's on the rear are PHENOMENAL! This car rides awesome. I have a bushing going out on the front drivers side A arm, I need to fix that soon, but the ride is great overall. I found out why my performance was hurting, My 02 sensor is dead, AND my ICM is running on default timing. I'll be getting the ICM pulled and cleaned and see what that does. I've really been enjoying this car. I can't wait till the rain relents and I get a few days to put subs in the car and get it finally tuned up. For more info on my codes, see my thread i started in this same section.
Back to top Go down
brian10962001

PostSubject: Re: Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster   Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Pulled and cleaned ICM, replaced O2 with a new NTK unit, problems with power and mileage were still there. Swapped in a new PCM and the car gained a mountain of power up top! The first fill up the car got 21mpg mixed driving (up from 18 to 19) I was a bit down hearted about this, but the next fill up the car got 22.5mpg with my g/f driving! Performance is right there where it should be now. We still have an SES coming on and off that I'm working on sorting out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster   Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just picked up a 95 and the performance is lack luster
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2