Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Penetrating Oil Comparison Test

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
Eldo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Penetrating Oil Comparison Test Empty
PostSubject: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:14 pm

My brother forwarded this info from Machinist's Workshop magazine.
I hope you find it interesting...

They tested penetrants for break-out torque on rusted nuts, with interesting results, especially how we've come to rely on PB Blaster... They arranged a subjective test of popular penetrants, with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from an equivalent "scientifically rusted" environment:

Penetrating oil ........... Average load to break free

None ..............................516 pounds
WD-40 .......................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .....................214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ......................106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds

The Automatic Transmission fluid-Acetone mix was a "home brew" of 50/ 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results! Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is nearly as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:22 pm

dynomite info eldo! i have both chemicals in the garage .ill mix up a batch. cant tell you how many time i had to run to the vatozone for some PB
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow, that's impressive. I hope means when I go to break loose my ATF lines today, they shouldn't give me any trouble! joker

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Eldo,
Thanks for the info.
Have been spraying down a rusted and seized king pin on my yard tractor for the past few days with Kroil to no results. It was fine when it was put away for the winter, now it wont move at all.
I will mix up a batch of ATF and Acetone and try letting it soak overnight in that brew.
I removed the axle today, so I can stand it upright in a bucket of brew and see.
If not I'm going down the road for a 40 ton Hydraulic press.
I hope Type F is good enough as that's all I have around and just happen to have a gallon of Acetone.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:36 pm

I suspect teh different brews work better under somewhat different conditions.

That said, Acetone (cheapie nail polish remover) and ATF are nto hard to get/mix. Any idea what the shelf life of that stuff is once mixed, and any idea how rapidly (if at all) it attacks paint or rubber? It could be that such a mix is not sold OTC due to such side effects.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:37 pm

i used acetone to aid in the removal of my old pinstripe (had both the sticker kind and the actual brush on kind) it WILL take off paint if you rub it too much.

I'll have to mix a batch with dexron VI and store it in an old oil can.
I've always used PB, but this homebrew is easy to make so why not.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:27 pm

acetone is twice as corrosive as lacquer thinner. it will remove paint ,lickity split!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:42 pm

albertj wrote:

That said, Acetone (cheapie nail polish remover) and ATF are not hard to get/mix. Any idea what the shelf life of that stuff is once mixed, and any idea how rapidly (if at all) it attacks paint or rubber? It could be that such a mix is not sold OTC due to such side effects.
Albertj

Mr.Riviera wrote:
i used acetone to aid in the removal of my old pinstripe (had both the sticker kind and the actual brush on kind) it WILL take off paint if you rub it too much.

robotennis61 wrote:
acetone is twice as corrosive as lacquer thinner. it will remove paint ,lickity split!

Thus, the nail-polish remover...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penetrating Oil Comparison Test   Penetrating Oil Comparison Test Empty

Back to top Go down

Penetrating Oil Comparison Test
Page 1 of 1