Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up

Go down 
+2
AA
7901mark
6 posters
AuthorMessage
7901mark
Enthusiast

Name : Mark
Merit : 6

HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up Empty
PostSubject: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Has anyone had this issue? I just replaced my head unit, and now when I turn the radio up all the way (full bass) the HVAC unit goes nuts....turning on and off, etc. I am just wondering if the unit itself is going bad, or if anyone else has had this issue.

Its fine when the volume is down, but when its cranked the thing goes haywire....flashing different characters, turning the defrost on and off.....please just tell me that the HVAC might be bad. Is there a way to reset these things or should I just buy a new one?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm

When you replaced the head, is that all you changed?

Do you have a subwoofer?

How fresh is your battery?

What is voltage reading when you see problems?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
7901mark
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:45 pm

AA wrote:
When you replaced the head, is that all you changed?

Do you have a subwoofer?

How fresh is your battery?

What is voltage reading when you see problems?

I changed the head unit, added speakers and an amp. No sub. Battery is possibly a year old. I am not so sure its a voltage issue (will check that) but I am able to make the HVAC go nuts if I simply "hit" the side of the unit itself. So I am leaning toward the vibration causing the issue. I ordered a new HVAC (used) to see if this fixes the issue. If not, Ill return it. Im thinking something is loose in the unit itself since I can reproduce the issue by banging the side of it.

We'll see when I get the new one, but thanks for the response. I was just actually curious if anyone else has the same with added vibration.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:52 pm

I have a subwoofer that shakes everything in the car, but it does not bother the HVAC system. However, I did see the HVAC behave erratically once when my alternator started putting out 17+ volts!

It does sound like a vibration issue, based on your "smack" test. I wonder if during the installation maybe you rubbed part of the HVAC wiring, breaking through some of the insulation. The head unit chassis may be contacting and shorting one of the wires to ground, causing the chaotic behavior.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Sounds like the HVAC unit may be bad. I can't see out of my rear view mirror when the bass is up, but never had an issue with the HVAC unit....
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyTue May 18, 2010 7:09 pm

I'd verify that the connection plug at the back of the HVAC unit is all the way in and not loose. Also check the insulation on the wires for a rub through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyWed May 19, 2010 12:31 am

Might also need to disassemble the HVAC head unit and flean the little carbon pads behind the buttons, and check the circuit board for cold and intermittent joints.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyWed May 19, 2010 7:26 am

Had the HVAC unit ever exhibited any odd behavior before installing the head unit? If not, there is a very good chance this is an external issue (wires, connections, etc) related to your installation procedure. If the HVAC unit was bad internally, or needed cleaning, chances are you would've experienced some problems before the install, as the vibrations experienced in everyday driving far outweigh anything you're going to see with a new head, amp and door speakers.

Remove the head and check wires, insulation, and connectors for any kind of chafing, shorting, or disconnection.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
7901mark
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:00 am

wires appear to be ok. The sound vibration is certainly more excessive than regular driving vibrations. It never acted up in the past. Once the new HVAC is here Ill see if it does the same thing. If so, Ill add a stiffning cap to the setup to see if that helps

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:33 am

There are a few solder points inside the head unit known to go bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra vibration might do in a couple that were questionable (but unnoticed) before.

I second to double check the connector on the rear of the HVAC head.
Back to top Go down
7901mark
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up EmptyThu May 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Well, it was the unit! I took the old one out and shook the shit out of it...lol. I hooked it back into the car and it didn't turn on at all!!

So the new unit arrived today, installed it and no issues at all. Works great with the radio up all the way. I suspect a loose diode or resister in the old hvac unit itself. Too funny smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up   HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up Empty

Back to top Go down

HVAC goes nuts when bass is turned up
Page 1 of 1