Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
firesidepoet
Special

Name : Barrett
Merit : 0

Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day Empty
PostSubject: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:46 pm

Novice working on my '96 Riviera with the object of replacing that stupid little elbow that squirts coolant all over my engine. Took out the alternator, took the pulley and put in the new elbow - no problems, then comes reassembly ... I have 1 stud and several bolts and I am in a quandry where the stud goes and don't remember what bolts go where to secure the alternator... not sure if it was the drinking or not, but now it has come back to bite me. This is a non-supercharged V6 and the pulley and alternator are down for the count until I figure out where this stud goes. If someone would be so kind as to direct me with some pictures of where this should go, I would appreciate it and be forever in your debt. Thank you for your kind patience with such idiocy.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 9:37 pm

not sure how the N/A motor differs from the S/C one but on my L67 there are 3 13mm bolts holding the alternator on. one long one at the bottom, one threaded bolt at the side where the intake is, then the smaller of the 3 goes at the back into the black metal bracket. there is also a small 10mm bolt on the bracket that goes to the alt too.
as for the pulley and assembly, with our motors it is connected to the front cover and the bolts require thread sealant. there should be remnants of the sealant on those bolts.

Can you take a picture of what parts you have left over?

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:09 am

firesidepoet wrote:
Novice working on my '96 Riviera with the object of replacing that stupid little elbow that squirts coolant all over my engine....

If someone would be so kind as to direct me with some pictures of where this should go, I would appreciate it and be forever in your debt. Thank you for your kind patience with such idiocy.

Now that is the kind of self-deprecating politeness that is refreshing to see on the board...
(Totally not mocking you, I can identify) drunk

Now let me see if I can find a photo for you...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:19 am

Do these help?

Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day 4737826448_d0655d75d1

Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day 4737190343_175048cb6c
Back to top Go down
firesidepoet
Special

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks for the information, but this is the stud I am referring to:

Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day Img00347e

Looking at the alternator, on the right hand side, it comes from the inside of the engine out, but I am not sure if it is this stud or one of those long 13mm's that also secures the bracket ... thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:28 pm

on my car that bolt goes here and connects to the tensioner bracket:
Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day Untitl10

Back to top Go down
firesidepoet
Special

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks to all for the quick replies and I am now leak-free and no longer running through coolant. Thanks also for your patience on my ignorance and I will be sure that my next set of stupid questions are done in a sober manner. smile
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks!!! joy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day   Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day Empty

Back to top Go down

Stud, Bolts & Alternator equals a bad day
Page 1 of 1