Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Headlight bulb replacement.

Go down 
+3
Derek
AA
LARRY70GS
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Headlight bulb replacement. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight bulb replacement.   Headlight bulb replacement. - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:15 am

This is something I SHOULD have mentioned many moons ago.  On the other hand, I wonder if my car was the only one so 'blessed', as no one else ever mentioned it...  It almost belongs in the "Didn't know this about my Riviera" thread.

Now, the shop manual is just plain wrong about being able to replace bulbs without removing the entire friggin' lens assembly.  However, despite my brain disbelieving, I just confirmed that it says that ALL headlight bulbs should be removed counterclockwise...  

Normally, this would be true.  But in my '97, the  passenger side bulbs are indeed backwards - I have to rotate them CLOCKwise to REMOVE...  twak study

cheers   boys
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Headlight bulb replacement.   Headlight bulb replacement. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Eldo wrote:
This is something I SHOULD have mentioned many moons ago.  On the other hand, I wonder if my car was the only one so 'blessed', as no one else ever mentioned it...  It almost belongs in the "Didn't know this about my Riviera" thread.

Now, the shop manual is just plain wrong about being able to replace bulbs without removing the entire friggin' lens assembly.  However, despite my brain disbelieving, I just confirmed that it says that ALL headlight bulbs should be removed counterclockwise...  

Normally, this would be true.  But in my '97, the  passenger side bulbs are indeed backwards - I have to rotate them CLOCKwise to REMOVE...  twak study

cheers   boys

when I replaced my highbeams, I removed the bolts inboard of the light housings so I could get my hands behind the housings from the obvious opening in the top of the assembly that includes the radiator support.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Headlight bulb replacement.   Headlight bulb replacement. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2022 1:25 am

Yes, per FSM for both high beams:  
   Remove the 2 (forward-facing) headlamp-bracket mounting bolts at the inboard edge of the
headlamp in order to allow access to the high beam sockets.
   Remove the sockets by reaching through the opening and turning the sockets counterclockwise (maybe.)

As an aside, I've always bitched about how a headlight used to - and SHOULD - be replaceable on a dark & stormy night with just a phillips screwdriver...  Now I've learned how 'good' our Rivi's are.  Here is someone's procedure for a Gen-I Cadillac CTS coupe:

"First, remove the top cover of the radiator.  Next you remove the 2 outer black plastic clips on the top of the bumper cover along with the two 10mm bolts.  Next you have to remove 2 plastic clips on each of the wheel wells. Then there are about 6 plastic clips on the bottom of the car. Pull the side of the bumper cover away from the wheel wells & pull towards you. Next there will be three 10mm bolts holding in the headlight & the harness on the bottom of the headlight. Once you have the light removed from the car, you have to remove the three 7mm bolts on the bulb cover. The D1S bulb is held in with 2 Torx screws.
(I forgot to mention that there is one 10mm bolt behind each inner fender that holds the bumper cover to the fender.)"

FIRST KILL ALL THE LAWYERS... THEN KILL ALL THE ENGINEERS!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight bulb replacement.   Headlight bulb replacement. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Headlight bulb replacement.
Page 1 of 1