Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New '99 Riviera

Go down 
+7
99Rivman
turtleman
albertj
stan
deekster_caddy
charlieRobinson
makemann1
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
makemann1
makemann1

Name : Max
Merit : 5

New '99 Riviera - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New '99 Riviera   New '99 Riviera - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 8:23 am

98riv wrote:

makemann1 wrote:

turtleman wrote:
Oh I didn't even realize that was something other than black paint. I wanna do that now. Let us know how it holds up

It's been over two years and the leather still looks and adheres like the day I installed it. Still loving the look.

Thanks for the update!  How hard was it to wrap the wood around the shifter?  Does that piece come off?

It is removable and relatively easy to do, once the entire center console was removed.

The toughest part was wrapping the piece that surrounds the radio. That involved removing the entire IP and removing eight or more tiny fasteners that held it. Then wrapping and securing the leather on the back of the piece and making sure that the tiny fasteners still hold with the added thickness of the leather that was added.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: New '99 Riviera   New '99 Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2016 2:03 pm

makemann1 wrote:

98riv wrote:

makemann1 wrote:

turtleman wrote:
Oh I didn't even realize that was something other than black paint. I wanna do that now. Let us know how it holds up

It's been over two years and the leather still looks and adheres like the day I installed it. Still loving the look.

Thanks for the update!  How hard was it to wrap the wood around the shifter?  Does that piece come off?

It is removable and relatively easy to do, once the entire center console was removed.

The toughest part was wrapping the piece that surrounds the radio. That involved removing the entire IP and removing eight or more tiny fasteners that held it. Then wrapping and securing the leather on the back of the piece and making sure that the tiny fasteners still hold with the added thickness of the leather that was added.

How did you remove the wood off the console? I have my center console removed but don't see an easy way on removing the wood piece without destroying how it is attached.

makemann1

PostSubject: Re: New '99 Riviera   New '99 Riviera - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2016 2:44 pm

I don't remember clearly, but I think I took a soldering iron and melted the plastic tabs that held it on. After wrapping it with leather, I used plastic weld to reattach it.
Back to top Go down
myersty
Special

Name : Tyler
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Radio   New '99 Riviera - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 9:33 pm

What model is the radio? Do the steering wheel controls work? Looks really nice!
Back to top Go down
makemann1
makemann1

PostSubject: Re: New '99 Riviera   New '99 Riviera - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks. It is an Alpine IVE-W53SHD. Also have a steering wheel control module that plugs in between the head unit and the steering wheel. The steering wheel buttons still work to advance songs, change inputs and control the volume of the Alpine. Works great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New '99 Riviera   New '99 Riviera - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New '99 Riviera
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2