Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Garage Door Opener

Go down 
+7
matt270avian
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
stan
96riv
joshuadalegrimes
charlieRobinson
11 posters
AuthorMessage
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 11:39 am

How do I program this thing? Do I just hold the button down while pressing the garage door remote? Is that how it remembers the IR signal? Huh?
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Omg I tried for three hours before I gave up on mine. Please if anyone knows this enlighten us!
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 6:35 pm

I could never get mine to work either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 7:13 pm

i remember many years ago i also tried to play with it,read the manual but...nothing....
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:06 pm

joshuadalegrimes wrote:
Omg I tried for three hours before I gave up on mine. Please if anyone knows this enlighten us!

I just go online and find the answers.My garage door opener is a Clicker product.I go to it's web site and find the solution.If I dont,thats usually the case 'cause I'm part dumb,I just call customer support and they walk me thru it in 10 minutes or less.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Nah, i'm talking the built-in opener in the Riv. You know.. up top, above the rear view mirror?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Works great in my car. It's in the owners manual. (I don't have mine nearby)
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Nah, i'm talking the built-in opener in the Riv. You know.. up top, above the rear view mirror?

oh..durr..All I know is you have to position the cliker just so the button is bellow one of the built in nub protrusion thingies.its a PIA to set up and not all clikers work without some modification to the nubs,either extending them or making your own.At least its what I found.I just gave up.my cliker is in it's permanent spot in the cup holder.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 11:27 pm

ours have programable buttons built in above the mirrors robo. they can control up to 3 things. i sat for hours with the ownersmaual and still couldnt get it to work
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:13 am

joshuadalegrimes wrote:
ours have programable buttons built in above the mirrors robo. they can control up to 3 things. i sat for hours with the ownersmaual and still couldnt get it to work

Oh,the 95 dont have that.shucks.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:14 am

In addition to teaching the homelink buttons your garage door opener, you also often have to press some kind of 'learn' button on the opener itself.

I have to read the owners manual in the car and the owners manual for my garage door opener each time I add a homelink device.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:53 pm

IIRC you just hold the button you want to use until the red light flashes rapidly, and then press the "open" button on the opener. Most newer openers don't work. I've had 2/3 craftsman openers program no problem. It is in the owners manual, but it is a bit tricky to find. It's near where it goes over all of the inserts you use for different openers. I'll edit this post later with more detailed instructions.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Quote :
Works great in my car. It's in the owners manual. (I don't have mine nearby)
What he said. Mine works great. I have doors on my garage, remote can open one, the other, or both.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Page 2-56 in the manual.

1: If you have not previously programmed a universal remote, proceed to step 2. Otherwise hold the 2 outside buttons until the red light begins to flash rapidly (about 20 seconds). This erases the memory/settings for the 3 channels.

2: Hold your handheld transmitter against the bottom of the one in the car (I didn't have to do this, it just had to be in the car).

3: Press the button on the remote and the transmitter in the car at the same time. Continue to hold both buttons until step 4.

4: Hold down the buttons until the red light begins to flash rapidly (may take up to 90 seconds). At this point it is programmed and should work perfectly.

NOTE: On one or 2 remotes for me it has acted like it programmed it, but did not work. Like I said, probably won't work on newer openers.
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 am

matt270avian wrote:
Page 2-56 in the manual.
NOTE: On one or 2 remotes for me it has acted like it programmed it, but did not work. Like I said, probably won't work on newer openers.
My opener is a Chamberlain 2003 vintage and it does not work.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 am

so it doesn't work with every door a? but why not?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 pm

A FYI for those of you unable to program Homelink (the remote in the Riv is Homelink, if you look close at the red lite you can see the logo).

If you are programming a garage door that has a radio control from after about 1996 it probably has "rolling codes" and you likely will have to do 2 things. Let's call the Riv remote buttons 1,2,3 in order from the driver side.

1) clear the old codes from the Riv.

IIRC you press the outermost buttons, 1 and 3, until the lite on the Riv's remote blinks rapidly. That clears the old codes.

2) if you have other vehicles that are preprogrammed to open that garage door, move them out of range. So that the garage door receiver does not try to "ping" them while you are setting up the Riv. You will need to move them at least 500 feet away I think, to be out of range.

3) program the Homelink per the instructions in the car's user manual BUT use the pre-1996 instructions AND use the second handheld remote, not the same one you used to program the homelink in the other car AND NOT the same one you are using from the other car (if it does not have homelink). This could take 90 sec - 2 min. Seriously.

4) if you are still stuck click the link http://www.homelink.com/support and follow the instructions to send a trouble report to Homelink. If your remote can indeed be programmed they will be able to tell you how.
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 am

Due to the age of your vehicle, we no longer offer customer support. Please use our online programming instructions for step by step programming instructions. You may also view our FAQ section for further troubleshooting assistance.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 3:05 pm

96riv wrote:
Due to the age of your vehicle, we no longer offer customer support. Please use our online programming instructions for step by step programming instructions. You may also view our FAQ section for further troubleshooting assistance.
A workaround might be to install la 3rd party/aftermarket receiver that does work with Homelink.
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 6:14 pm

I have lived without it for years,  will have to continue to use my old school transmitters.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Man,I hate it when shit don't work.........
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

There are some transmitters that run on 27MHz band (cb radio, old analog cordless p ones) that Homelink **never** worked with.
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

Name : Russ Gollen
Merit : 1

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 1:28 pm

I tried setting mine up the other day by following the owners manual instructions. Everything appeared to successfully program. The light blinked each way that it was supposed to, but still no opener operation.
Back to top Go down
Rivit
Enthusiast
Rivit

Name : Jim
Merit : 22

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Russ, Onboard Homelink device can be correctly programed and still be fussy. I've got two vehicles programed to three identical doors. One works all the time any door any reasonable distance (GMC). The other,,,,,well, no mid driveway open ever no (Toyota). Real close and from the street works most often.  headbutt   Try various distances .
And again Beautiful Riv, Original paint? Plan on seeing it at future NW Rivy River Run gathering of Gen 8s (all others welcome)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Garage Door Opener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garage Door Opener   Garage Door Opener Empty

Back to top Go down

Garage Door Opener
Page 1 of 1