Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

I might have a Rivirea garage queen!

Go down 
+5
99Rivman
stan
ghpcnm
IBx1
abaucom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

I might have a Rivirea garage queen! Empty
PostSubject: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Just joking about the garage queen but my 1998 has always been garage kept.
Did a vin search. Less than 11,000 1998 Riviera's produced.
"There are 3 1998 RIVIERA vehicles (0.027%) matching your exact options list. There are 29 (0.265%) with at least as many options."

My low milegage Riviera must be a garage queen as it has never been driven in snow. November must get oil changed before it goes into winter storage. Love my Riviera but only used two tanks of gas in 12 months. My bad as I should be driving this beautiful car more often.
1998 Riviera (67,00 miles):
I might have a Rivirea garage queen! 98RivieraPearlWhitefrontrear-vi
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Looks great, and yeah run another tank of gas through before storage. Don't want any rubber parts to rot!
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 am

Very nice. Drive it but keep it out of the salt and weather. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 6:05 am

great
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 am

ghpcnm wrote:
Very nice. Drive it but keep it out of the salt and weather. thumbsup
agree

I am one to keep the miles low too, I would like to find one with THAT low of miles! I would probably drive it "some" but keep them low also!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:00 am

Welcome and congrats! Did you find it in the Ottawa area or elsewhere? Definately keep her out of the elements and don't treat her like transportation but more like a classic. Post more pics of the interior and engine bay.
Back to top Go down
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

Name : GM FIEND
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 2:56 pm

I BROUGHT MY 98 RIVY FROM A PRIVATE OWNER FOR $1300 WHO KEPT IT GARAGED AND IT HAS 99K BUT IM NOT AS FORTUNATE AS YOU GUYS BY HAVING A GARAGE ETC.. SO IMMA HAVE TO HAVE MY BABY OUTSIDE IN THESE BS BALTIMORE CONDITIONS AND I HAVE A SOFT TOP frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 3:39 pm

GM FIEND wrote:
I BROUGHT MY 98 RIVY FROM A PRIVATE OWNER FOR $1300 WHO KEPT IT GARAGED AND IT HAS 99K BUT IM NOT AS FORTUNATE AS YOU GUYS BY HAVING A GARAGE ETC.. SO IMMA HAVE TO HAVE MY BABY OUTSIDE IN THESE BS BALTIMORE CONDITIONS AND I HAVE A SOFT TOP frown

It will be alright if you don't **drive** it when the streets are salted and wet. A cover will keep the sap and stuff off but can encourage rust by trapping moisture underneath. To slow that problem down make sure the car is CLEAN when you cover it. Dirt encourages and some say catalyzes rust.

If you do have to drive it in the slush, then each and every time the temp goes back above freezing, go to a self serve car wash and use the pressure washer hose to clean off the underside. Use the soap spray then follow with a quick rinse and then the liquid wax or liquid clear coat protector or what have you. In the spring scrape rusty areas with a wire brush then repaint with POR-15 (once and done) or prime/paint with Rustoleum (you ahve to do this every season, like midsummer when it's warm out it's not so bad working under there).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 pm

My 1998 pearl white was my South Carolina aunt's auto and when she died in 2005 she left the car to me and I imported it to Canada. Rare to see a Riviera in Ontario but a few are still seen driving around here in Ottawa.
For decades when she wanted a new car she would call me, and regardless what state I was living in I had to report to South Carolina and start test driving new cars. We would always test drive Eldorado's and Mark's. She never discussed her new car purchases with my uncle or her son-in-law, only me. This started in 1976 when I bought a new white Eldorado convertible, she loved it, but that week during my visit she bought her first white Riviera. She had no interest in anything 4-door and I also have never owned a 4-door. She was a real car gal and told me stories, not suitable for the web, of her adventures in her first brand new car, a pale yellow 1952 Chevy convertible.
My 1998 was her 4th white Riviera. The family joke was I always reported to South Carolina when summoned, spent days test driving new cars, and she always ended up buying a white Riviera (LOL). My aunt loved getting on the open road and just driving. She liked power, liked to drive fast, and she told me her Riviera's made her feel young. I remember visiting her and sometimes we would drive 100 miles one way just for lunch. I swear my aunt knew every two lane back road in South Carolina and North Carolina where she could open it up. Wonderful memories and I still keep her red umbrella in the Riv.
Last time I visited my aunt was X-mas 2004, and I was living in Canada. I already had plane tickets to spend the holidays at a rental beach house in Thailand with two US expat friends I knew from when I lived in the Middle East. Mid Dec., almost last minute, Gwen called me and insisted I spend Christmas with her even though she was surrounded with other family and friends, and she said if I needed a beach break from the Canadian winter she had found a new restaurant on the South Carolina coast. South Carolina coast in the winter for lunch or a week at a sunny Thailand beach house? I went to South Carolina and Gwen and I had a wonderful week together. Well... my two expat friends died when the Tsunami hit. June 2005, Gwen and I talked. She wanted me to visit again. I was leaving for China on business in two days but said when I returned I would turn around and visit by the end of the month. While I was in China aunt Gwen died peacefully at home. Was told two days before she died she drove the Riviera to get her hair done (once weekly) and that was the last time she drove.
I swear, sometimes I now get in the car and just for a moment can still smell a hint of her perfume which always makes me smile. Guess that is why I want to keep aunt Gwen's car as prestine as she always kept it.
Sorry for the long post. Just my way of explaining why this one Riviera owner loves this car.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 5:05 pm

gotta love white Rivs
Back to top Go down
GM FIEND
Rookie
GM FIEND

Name : GM FIEND
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 5:10 pm

I luv mine diamond pearl white only thing I dont really like is the soft top!!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 5:15 pm

i too have a white diamond dust and i love it.( mine is a hard top)
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 66

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:11 pm

You might have seen me or my girlfriend driving around Ottawa. We both have Qc plates. I have an emerald green 98 with 70k km and she has a Pearl White with 50k km. We don't store them in the winter though, they are our winter cars.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
abaucom
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Jason in Ottawa,
I might have seen both your cars only because there are so few Riviera's driving around Ottawa. Had to post today as I planned to drive the Riv, dentist, groceriers, etc., but was running late to dentist. I am a professor at Algonquin, had a 1 PM class, was in such a rush did not have time to switch campus parking pass from Camaro to the Riviera this morning. Anyway, driving the Camaro...turning into the grocercy store on Baseline, a white Riviera behind me. Parked the Camaro and walked across the lot where a nice old man was still parking his white Riviera. Told him I liked his car and I had a white 1998. He smiled, said there were only four white Riviera's in Ottawa. It is a nice story and made me smile, he also smiled because I complimented him on his car.
Next Thursday, oil change (after only two tanks of gas since last Nov.), following weekend clean leather upholstery. Last weekend of Nov. my Rivera is garaged until mid to late April 2012.
Al in Ottawa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I might have a Rivirea garage queen!   I might have a Rivirea garage queen! Empty

Back to top Go down

I might have a Rivirea garage queen!
Page 1 of 1