Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Just Bought My First Riv.

Go down 
+3
ghpcnm
matt270avian
urbanski_m
7 posters
AuthorMessage
urbanski_m
Amateur

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Just Bought My First Riv. Empty
PostSubject: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just bought a Supercharged 97 Buick Riviera from the quintessential little old lady about a month ago.  It has 76,000 miles, always garaged, and came with all the service records since she purchased it as a dealer demo.  Before selling it she replaced the pads, rotors, and calipers on all four wheels and the battery.  I paid $3500 and I LOVE driving it.  The interior looks like it was never sat in and I'm using it as a second vehicle.  My mechanic looked it over before I bought it and said that everything looked good with no deal breakers but once I got it I had the valve covers replaced, brake fluid flushed, and AC recharged.

Since I have been driving it, I have notice a few issues that seem common to these cars since I started reading the posts on this site:
Horn keeps blowing fuses and the gas gauge/sending unit is inaccurate.  

But I have two other issues that I could use some help with:
1. It appears that the AC compressor appears to be leaking Freon, not sure if its the compressor or the lines as the Freon drips off the bottom of the compressor

2. Driving with the windows open I have heard a metal on metal clank coming from the right front suspension/wheel when going over most bumps and pot holes.  I have looked over the suspension and everything looks fine.  Can't hear it with the windows rolled up.

Glad I can be part of this site.  Seems like there are many out there who appreciate these cars and can help keep them on the road.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:25 pm

As far as the horn goes, I would just replace it with a nice aftermarket one. I permanently blew the low note one, so I need to replace mine as well. Oddly, I haven't blown a fuse since. I believe mine had the same issue with the compressor as yours. Since we bought it from a dealer we just had them replace it along with the valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket. Does your antenna still work?
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think my horn is more complicated than that. I replaced the fuse and after a week I was driving through a parking lot and the horn went off erratically without me touching the pad. It didn't stop until the fuse blew. I think the steering pad is sticking.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Mine did that once. Some have had the issue where it just won't stop blaring. Have you tried replacing the relay as well?
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Haven't checked the relay, where is it located?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Next to the underhood fuse IIRC.
Back to top Go down
urbanski_m
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks. And yes my antenna still works. Is your Riviera color Bright White or the White Diamond Pearl?
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Welcome Aboard, Mike hi 
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Check the sway bar end links for the clunking. The oem ones are just plastic.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 pm

I have the pearl paint that looks like crap. I really want to get it repainted, but performance mods take priority.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:06 pm

all go no show! right matt. welcolme to the group, ive got a 97 sc also and my ac has been a nightmare. before next summer im rippin it all out and replacin the whole system
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 pm

joshuadalegrimes wrote:
all go no show! right matt. welcolme to the group, ive got a 97 sc also and my ac has been a nightmare. before next summer im rippin it all out and replacin the whole system

Just rip it out! thats what windows are for!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 pm

But summer is what it's for
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 pm

i usually just run with windows down and radio up anyway but those 90+ days i sure miss it
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:21 am

Welcome there Mike!
hope you have some luck with the issues - can be some tricky bastards sometimes
I have many little stupid things it's been so long I've just learned to live with at this point including one of my horns shorting out (just removed it), a/c not working due to some electrical/control problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought My First Riv.   Just Bought My First Riv. Empty

Back to top Go down

Just Bought My First Riv.
Page 1 of 1