Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Hey guys, my brother and I are chewing on doing a one of a kind build with a few bits and pieces we have on hand at our farm. Project vehicle is a good solid 1948 Fargo pickup (flat head six) parked due to bent valve eons ago but very good body for a resto. Power plant is a rebuilt 1976 Buick Skyhawk 3.8L engine we have had for years waiting for something to go into. Comp cams does offer a cam,lifters,t-chain kit for it, but we had also tossed around the idea of perhaps fitting a M62 or M90 into the mix, of course there is the obstacle of carb to injection but there must be a way over that. The 3.8l would easily fit under the hood even with the lack of space (kind of why we're shying away from a V8 swap). I guess the real question here is would it be possible to adapt an M62 or an M90 to the factory intake via a custom mounting plate, or a series 1 or 2 aluminum intake perhaps? I am certain the highest the compression ratio is on the old 3.8L is 9:1, so is that still safe to boost or will we encounter problems? I have access to both the M62 and the M90 just not sure on which to choose for the old motor. Thoughts?dunno

Last edited by Hometown Hero on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Me personally I don't know the answer but it sounds like a super project!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Hometown Hero wrote:
Hey guys, my brother and I are chewing on doing a one of a kind build with a few bits and pieces we have on hand at our farm. Project vehicle is a good solid 1948 Fargo pickup (flat head six) parked due to bent valve eons ago but very good body for a resto. Power plant is a rebuilt 1976 Buick Skyhawk 3.8L engine we have had for years waiting for something to go into. Comp cams does offer a cam,lifters,t-chain kit for it, but we had also tossed around the idea of perhaps fitting a M62 or M90 into the mix, of course there is the obstacle of carb to injection but there must be a way over that. The 3.8l would easily fit under the hood even with the lack of space (kind of why we're shying away from a V8 swap). I guess the real question here is would it be possible to adapt an M62 or an M90 to the factory intake via a custom mounting plate, or a series 1 or 2 aluminum intake perhaps? I am certain the highest the compression ratio is on the old 3.8L is 9:1, so is that still safe to boost or will we encounter problems? I have access to both the M62 and the M90 just not sure on which to choose for the old motor. Thoughts?dunno
Go for a 3.8 Turbo Buick motor!!! You can do FI from a speed pro or FAST system. Check with the turbo buick guys... turbobuick.com is a great place to start. I wouldn't mess with trying to adapt an M90 etc unless you were already confident about the system. We have a FAST system on our old 455. Reasonably easy to manage and learn. It's where I learned custom EFI before I got into the GM tuners.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Would that old school 3.8L handle that amount of boost though? I would like to keep it within a decent dollar range as I have immediate access to everything with the exception of a series 2 intake. But working at a wrecker I can easily track one down. It would be a relatively inexpensive build if I use everything I have at my disposal, even if a little more complex. Time is the only catch as I'm getting my Javelin ready for the show in September. Would like to get the powertrain ready before winter. Or at the very least a solid plan of attack.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Well, whatever you decide on make sure to keep it unique and special. I hate it (even though they are really cool) when people just drop a modern LS into an older Camaro or Mustang or whatever. As fun as the cars probably are to drive, they aren't very original. Are you getting what I'm saying? It's why I like modding this car so much. Not many have done it, hardly anyone understands why, and it's always an interesting challenge making everything work.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 pm

That's pretty much what I figure. I can pretty well promise that it will be the only 1948 Fargo in existence with a 3.8L Buick whether it be a NA/SC/or Turbo. Besides doing all the work ourselves will make it that much more fun to do, even if we are re-inventing the wheel so to speak. I can't imagine there is a massive Fargo following that would string me up for my choice of powertrain;)
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am

I don't think there was a lot of difference between the original 231 block and the GN motors, besides maybe some improved oiling. Check w the turbo buick guys to be sure. I'm sure they know if there are any major changes you can't do
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup   Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup Empty

Back to top Go down

Hobby Build 3.8L 1948 Fargo Pickup
Page 1 of 1