Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Keyed 12 volt source

Go down 
+3
Abaddon
matt270avian
Yardley
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

Keyed 12 volt source Empty
PostSubject: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:24 pm

I've never worked like this on a new car. I done direct head unit installs using harness adapters and such, but never just wired into the harness before. My 69 took a little doing to get a decent keyed 12 volt source, but I certainly don't want to start cutting and splicing wires on this Riv unless necessary.

Where is there a keyed 12 volt source under the dash? Is the cig lighter on the side of the console by the passenger's feet keyed? If so, is it easy to get at?

Is there an open spot in the fuse block to attach a wire like on the 60's/70's cars?

Thanks

Yardley
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 pm

If you're talking about wiring up a headunit, I would strongly suggest getting the correct harnesses.

Otherwise there are plenty of them. The lighter by the passengers feet is keyed, but the one by the ash tray is not. I think there are some open spots on the fuse block, but you could probably also tie into one if needed for whatever purpose you're doing.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 3:23 pm

I agree with Matt on the harness if you're wiring a head unit.

You have to be careful which 12V circuit you tap into. You don't want to overload the circuit that you tap into by adding too much more amperage to it. You might start popping fuses like mad. That cigarette light on the passenger side IS a good one to tap into.

What is it you're wiring up?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Yardley I was thinking of that same think years ago....where can I get 12V power without connecting straight to the battery 'cause that could be dangerous.You know 3rd party accessories drain the battery over night,that's why you need to get power from the right place and be sure after you turn the engine off NOTHING drains the battery.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm installing an iSimple Tranzit FM converter. Plug iPod into the Tranzit and the Tranzit plugs right into the radio antenna. Tune radio to preset frequency and the iPod plays through the radio without broadcasting over the airwaves. I know the sound quality won't be the best but the cassette tape iPod converter is horrible. And for now it is OK.

And I found out today that the lighter port on the side of the console by the passenger's feet is 12v switched, but NOT when in the accessory position - no power in the Acc position. Bummer. I'll use it because it's convenient, but eventually I'll replace the head unit and won't have to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 12:05 am

In all honesty, you're better off just getting a new headunit. After spending the time and money on some adapter you'll come to find that you could have gotten a decent headunit. I've wasted more than enough to have gotten a headunit twice as good as what I have now. Spend the money, get something you are really happy with. Sorry to sound like an asshat
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 am

In defense of the stock head, it sounds really good with a proper speaker upgrade, and even better with amplified power + EQ. I've used an FM modulator for ipod on my wife's car. They do what they say, and the sound is as clear as the strongest FM station.

Aftermarket heads are great if you want extra options like sat/nav and ability to tinker with the sound. But for those who want to listen to iPod and keep steering wheel controls, the stock head is surprisingly capable, and looks more like it belongs in the dash.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 am

The Tranzit is half what an OK head unit is, and I also don't have the additional $$ for the add-in unit to keep the steering wheel controls... if those things are still available and if they even work. Head unit is a down-the-road upgrade. Besides, the stereo in my 69 is among the best I've ever heard, so if I'm Jonesing for sound I'll sit it that in the garage and jam.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Yardley wrote:
the add-in unit to keep the steering wheel controls... if those things are still available and if they even work.
They are, and they do. PAC audio makes them. Some are specific to the head unit (I prefer and recommend that). Some are "universal" and a bit of a pain to program.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks Derek.
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

Name : matt saari
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Should be a yellow wire near door panel that is a rap wire acc retained piwer which will have power till the door is open or u can go tp the acc wire in the ign harness. remember to put a inline fuse. but i recomend the more expensive hqrness as you may lose some warning chimes without it
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

Name : matt saari
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:33 pm

P.s yellow wire no yellow sleeve yellow sleeve could be airbag so beware
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keyed 12 volt source   Keyed 12 volt source Empty

Back to top Go down

Keyed 12 volt source
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Audio & Electronics-
Jump to: