Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Keep Doors From Freezing Shut

Go down 
+14
71stagegs
robotennis61
IFallsRon
LARRY70GS
albertj
Abaddon
matt270avian
AA
RidzRiv
ZEP
charlieRobinson
Yardley
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keep Doors From Freezing Shut   Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:55 pm

What if you were to attach a flat piece of rope or something securely to the back of the door somehow? Like a backpack strap and left it dangling out on cold nights so you could pull on that instead of the door handle. Lift the handle, pull the rope. My car is away for the winter so Im not gonna be looking into this but Im sure someone could make it work and aesthetically acceptable. The winter I did drive the car, I found myself pulling on that handle alot and am thankful it didnt break!
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Keep Doors From Freezing Shut   Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 pm

I recently heard that spraying a solution of vinegar and water (I don't know at what ratio) will unfreeze a car door. Might be worth a try for you guys that are having this problem. Maybe 75% vinegar to 25% water would be a good start.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Keep Doors From Freezing Shut   Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 am

Forgot to wipe my seals with silicone spray this time. Solution: a carefully aimed kerosene-powered torpedo heater, held like the giant machine gun Jesse Ventura carried in Predator. Door was dripping wet and warm to the touch in 10 minutes.

Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 Jesseventua2shootingpredator

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Keep Doors From Freezing Shut   Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 am

Extension cord and a hair dryer warming around the window seals and door edges should get it open.
Back to top Go down
Tajis
Amateur

Name : Tajis
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Keep Doors From Freezing Shut   Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 5:29 pm

I wanted to add my $0.02 for keeping the doors from freezing shut before winter rolls around. This is what I learned from the cold snap we had earlier this year (5*F temperatures) that confounded this poor warm-weather soul.

1. Silicone spray works wonders, but only if you do it plenty in advance. This seems to help keep the moisture from building in the seals in the first place.

2. Keep an eye on your weather sealing and stripping that goes down into the door. Water likes to find its way in and freeze all sorts of things inside our behemoth sized doors.

3. If it freezes, do not use hot water or you run the risk of breaking a window. Cold and lukewarm water will work just as well. Try to keep it away from the glass while alternating pushing and pulling on the door. Pulling on the door may not be enough to break it open. Pushing tends to be less damaging to the handles.

4. Silicone lubricant spread over/inside the door locks can help keep ice out and keep the key holes from freezing shut. While this isn't a problem, per-se, if your car battery is used to Alabama heat versus what-the-heck cold you may not be able to rely on the remote working.

5. As a random (unrelated) note you can buy hand warming packs (those little goo packs you squeeze to create a reaction to produce heat) and stick them around the battery under the back seat to get it just warm enough to crank. This year I'm debating putting some sound deadening / thermal insulation back there to help with both road noise and to help if I have to warm the battery up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keep Doors From Freezing Shut   Keep Doors From Freezing Shut - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Keep Doors From Freezing Shut
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2