Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rattling rear self leveling

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Denton_NOLATX
Special

Name : Denton
Merit : 0

Rattling rear self leveling Empty
PostSubject: Rattling rear self leveling   Rattling rear self leveling EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 11:53 pm

My 98 Riviera has had a rattle when the self leveling is running. I would like to know if anyone has an EASY way to make the rattling stop?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rattling rear self leveling   Rattling rear self leveling EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 12:49 am

If there's a rattle, it means something is moving. Find the source and dampen it. If it's a loose part, tighten, bend, or remove the part. It could be the pump itself is making the noise, in which case the pump would need to be removed. There are inexpensive manual fill valve kits available for our cars. Good luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Rattling rear self leveling   Rattling rear self leveling EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 am

The pump is located in the rear passenger side of the car. Get on the ground and look up behind the rear tire. Check the rubber bushings that the pump is mounted on. Also check the bolts on the pump and the shield.

Special

PostSubject: Re: Rattling rear self leveling   Rattling rear self leveling EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 11:41 pm

98riv wrote:
The pump is located in the rear passenger side of the car.  Get on the ground and look up behind the rear tire.  Check the rubber bushings that the pump is mounted on.  Also check the bolts on the pump and the shield.  

Thank you! I'll have a look when I rotate my tires this coming weekend!!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rattling rear self leveling   Rattling rear self leveling EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi Denton,

Take a close look at the pump and it's mounting bracket. It's behind the pass. side rear wheel. You can see the black nylon air lines from the rear shocks leading you right to it. While you are under there inspecting it, turn the key on and watch what happens when the pump self-tests.

Hope this helps. Saw your PM.
Back to top Go down
Denton_NOLATX
Special

PostSubject: Re: Rattling rear self leveling   Rattling rear self leveling EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 1:04 am

I know that it has been a year since this thread started. I looked at the pump but I could not get the shield off. I left it thinking it would eventually quit working then I'll worry about it then, It still runs and performs correctly but is just loud! I recently was locked out of my car when both of the door handles broke within the same day. Currently she is in the shop getting repaired with non-matching handles. I guess have another fun Plasti-dip day coming up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rattling rear self leveling   Rattling rear self leveling Empty

Back to top Go down

Rattling rear self leveling
Page 1 of 1