Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake

Go down 
+43
bmcd9179
llamalor2112
charlieRobinson
Jayrydingslab
95riv
DEMonte1997
Abaddon
97 park ave
VJD2
BMD
sealk
Ash
Jack the R
L67
Rickw
Snowdog
captshiner
EASHER
97rivsc
ibmoses
Lucas
Chicken
RhinoFLA
IBx1
lyonsperformance
SuperRiv07
Blown_99_Riviera
Supercharged
texasfan010
palermocorey90
96RivSCMI
turtleman
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
1998 Riv
robotennis61
T Riley
urbsnspices
jax95riv
AA
Jason
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Blown_99_Riviera
Amateur

Name : Kevin
Merit : 0

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 3:43 pm

ive hd my 4" fwi in my car for over a year now and ive driven my car in
-3 degree weather to 95 degree weather and thats with no insulation and then i decided to wrap it in foil tape and it looks better and runs about 4 degrees colder than befor thats what my aeroforce scan guage tells me but id say go for it and dont worry
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 4:55 pm

yeah, weather is definitely not a factor in the FWI setup. As long as your IAT sensor is installed properly...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 8:03 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
yeah, weather is definitely not a factor in the FWI setup. As long as your IAT sensor is installed properly...

When you're stopped, things can get just at hot as w/ stock airbox, especially on 90ºF+ days. Last summer I got my IAT up into the 140ºF range. Once moving, things will cool down.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 9:15 pm

NOt bad man
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael

PostSubject: PISSED!   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 6:14 pm

just built AN INTAKE FOR MY 97, NOT MORE THAN AN HOUR AGO, and I drove around for 30-40 minuts woith absolutly no problems or CE< my douche neighboor wanna be garage mechanic, gets in my Rivi and starts mashing on the gas like an asshole, now the service engine soon light is on, i need to hook up the vacuum sensor to the intake i know, is it not being in use the reason for the CEL?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Probably. What's the code?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 10:46 pm

You mean the Intake Air Temp sensor? Yes, you need to plug it in. And keep your keys in your pocket.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 8:16 am

Ok, I'm considering doing a PVC FWI on my '95. What I need to know is does anything have to be removed to install this? Do I have to undo the fenderwell black plastic piece? What kind of tools do I need? I'm going to get a 7" filter if I do it, is that big enough?

Last edited by IBx1 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 10:15 am

1998 Riv wrote:
You mean the Intake Air Temp sensor? Yes, you need to plug it in. And keep your keys in your pocket.
yes sorry brother messed up in a fit of rage! HAHA, IAT sensor is what i should have put, i dont have a code reader, but im assuming this is an obvious problem.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:11 pm

bump

Ok, I'm considering doing a PVC FWI on my '95. What I need to know is does anything have to be removed to install this? Do I have to undo the fenderwell black plastic piece? What kind of tools do I need? I'm going to get a 7" filter if I do it, is that big enough? Also, what length do you cut the straight section down to???
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:19 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
Intense or ZZP intake tubing. its about 11-12 bucks a foot and supposedly works well. I have some sitting in my room waiting for me to have some free time right now.

To be honest, that tubing is what's up. Unbelievably easier than making it out of pvc, one piece so it's not prone to leaks, super flexible, and it also has an internal metallic spiral which keeps it somewhat rigid. Looks alot cleaner imo, but I do like the look of a well done pvc intake as well.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 pm

I don't think there's a huge diff on your 95, so the stock intake box has to come out, along with the stock intake tube. Unplug your sensor first. Take the top of the box out first, separately. Makes it easier to get the bottom out. Assuming it's similar to later models. You'll need to test fit your pieces in order to determine the length you need the straight piece to be.

If you're doing a 4" tube, you'll need to enlarge the existing hole in the fenderwell. It is probably easiest to install the cone filter if you do it thru the FW with that plastic shielding removed, that's what I did. A 7" cone filter should be fine. Do you have one yet? I have a new K&N cone with 4" ID opening that is in the For Sale section. I paid $50 with shipping from Summit. Selling at $40 shipped. New in the box, never installed.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:28 pm

RhinoFLA wrote:
TonySmooth89 wrote:
Intense or ZZP intake tubing. its about 11-12 bucks a foot and supposedly works well. I have some sitting in my room waiting for me to have some free time right now.

To be honest, that tubing is what's up. Unbelievably easier than making it out of pvc, one piece so it's not prone to leaks, super flexible, and it also has an internal metallic spiral which keeps it somewhat rigid. Looks alot cleaner imo, but I do like the look of a well done pvc intake as well.

I agree, that would be easiest. I personally don't care for the look though.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks Dave. It seems that if I go with the tubing I'd need to get it @ 3.5" ID so I won't be able to buy your filter, but trust me I did see it. I don't have the filter yet.

So how many feet of this stuff would I need? They sell by the foot and I can do 1 or 2, I don't think it should take any more than that. Also, how would I get the IAT sensor into the tubing??
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Not sure if 2' will do it or not, but I'd "think" so. Let me go measure my intake.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:37 pm

2' may be just enough, but a few extra inches might come in handy.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm

I used 2 1/2' and it worked out nicely. I didn't have to cut it at all.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 pm

So I'll order 3'. Does it cut easily, and where do I put the IAT?
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:50 pm

IBx1 wrote:
So I'll order 3'. Does it cut easily, and where do I put the IAT?

To be honest, I wouldn't attempt to tap it into the intake tubing, it's not smooth on the outside at all and you would probably end up with leaks. What I did was just install it, bought the IAT extension from intense or zzp, and just dropped it down into the fenderwell near your the air filter.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:54 pm

Yep, I don't think you'd be happy with trying to get a good install in the tubing. I do also have an Intense IAT extension cable, new. Plugs right inline, if the 95 is the same. What's Intense' current price? I'll give you $5 off their new price and no frt charges. They are made by Casper Electronics and I bought direct from Casper.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Intense says $20, so you'll charge me $15 shipped? Well, I'm definitely considering this. All I have to do now is find a filter for a good price, and when everything's finalized I'll let you know. Thanks for your help!!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Yep, $15 shipped.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Well i just got done with my third attempt at an intake and , 2' of (ZZP) intake tubing is about perfect for a fenderwell intake IMO. Much better than my last setup consisting of stock intake tubing mated to a PVC cone , it looks like it should flow more and at least will be louder.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Hey guys, I hate to pull the rug out from under ya, but I realized that I gotta start saving up for my prom limo in June. $1,200 for the smallest (12 hours) package.

By the way, it's worth it. 1961 Rolls Royce Princess.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2402/2494928888_fcb8f1e8dc.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2494930108_bff1036990.jpg?v=0
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 5:32 pm

all I can say is....you better damn well get laid.....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake   Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Building a Custom PVC Fenderwell Intake
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next