Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Wiper electrical problem or motor?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Wiper electrical problem or motor? Empty
PostSubject: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 11:41 pm

Been a good minute since i made a post on here, but today i had an odd issue arise.
I was driving home in the rain and my wipers were on low. Then they just froze mid way up the window.  scratch 
I cut them off and they finished their cycle and went down.
Turned them back on and the stopped half way up again...
Back off and they finished and retracted.
Turned them to full speed and one notch below that and they ran fine.

What gives??

I wouldnt think its the motor because they work too well on other settings.
I cant see it being multifunction stalk because its too consistently doing the same thing on that setting and stopping at the same point.

Is there a separate relay for the mid/low setting that is faulty?
Or maybe a voltage short/issue?

I am going to try them again tomorrow after its cooled down...yea it was 85* here today.

Open to knowledge on the mater, i dont recall anyone ever replacing their wiper motor or relay on here before.

Thanks,
Matthew

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Typically a ground issue. Check em all and clean em good.
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 pm

I have ALOT of trouble getting my wipers to turn off due to a bad multi switch
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 am

I can not get this issue to repeat itself....

I really hate electrical problems  evil 

I suppose it could be the multi switch since im on the original still. But im also on the original alternator, could a voltage issue cause this but not other drive-ability problems.

Derek, thanks for the idea. ill clean them all next oil change, though i dont expect to find anything since there isnt any rust/decay on anything that ive ever seen.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? EmptyThu May 01, 2014 12:08 pm

So now that we are knee deep in rain reason, my wipers are acting funny again.
Todd, i think you were on the right track with the multifunction switch. Now they dont turn off half the time, the other half they have only 1 speed (Fast) and they randomly still stop mid wipe.

Looks like a new multi switch is in order. Sucks they are $400 at rockauto. Anyone know why the 96 is different than the 98? 98's have more brand options and are cheaper...

Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am

4 years passed.... So, was it failed MF switch?
I have similar issue. All "wiper delay" modes may cease working unexpectedly, leaving only continuous LO and HI speeds. Then, equally unexpectedly, everything is fine again.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am

I never replaced it and the problem never full went away. It seemed to be when i switched them on it would happen but if i left it alone at that speed it would start working normal after awhile.
I would replace the MF wiper unit to remedy the problem (but i also no longer have the riv)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wiper electrical problem or motor?   Wiper electrical problem or motor? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wiper electrical problem or motor?
Page 1 of 1