Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New to Forum with BIG problem

Go down 
+5
al_roethlisberger
96_Juggernaut
deekster_caddy
Abaddon
Steelrain
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Steelrain
Amateur

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

New to Forum with BIG problem Empty
PostSubject: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I have a stock 95 Riv. About a week ago, the car seemed to fall out of OD and not catch any other gear. I shut the car off, started it back up and it took 1st thru 3rd then fell out. I limped it home by keeping it in 1st/2nd but RPMs were about 3700 to 4200 for about an hour. I got it home and let it sit over night. Started it up the next day and it now has a Knock and a massive oil leak. The leak seemed to be coming from either the Oil pan Gasket or the Crankshaft. I have the oil pan dropped atm and am in the process of replacing the gasket. I just want to know what your thoughts are on this.

Is my motor/Tranny junk? Is it worth trying to fix. I just bought it about 2.5 wks ago for 1700 with 207k miles. I put 250 miles on it.

Not sure if this makes much of a difference. The car sat for a little over a year and i put Gumout thru it the same day that it crapped out on me.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:30 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the transmission took a dump. That was the first problem. The second problem was driving it home for an hour at 4000 rpms. You may have spun a bearing or something by doing that.

We can't diagnose your car by what you've described, or not seeing any pictures. By the description though, it sounds like it may be a boat anchor.....
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

i do have a question about the oil pan gasket. I didnt go the RTV route rather, i bought a fel-pro gasket. all of the Tut's that I have found are using RTV so i just need to clarify that the replacement just sit over the top of the inner tray and use the clips to hold it in place while it gets bolted back up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, too bad you come with such major issues!

Did you put the Gumout in before or after you started having problems? (I do not like that stuff)

Sounds like a pressure solenoid got stuck causing your issues. With nothing else to go on, I'll second Abaddon's diagnosis.

I would use the gasket, but RTV both sides of it.
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:28 pm

i put it in prior to the issues. Now i was just cleaning out the oil pan and noticed that the inlay gasket in the Tray was shot and after i removed that the plastic in between the gasket is cracked really badly. would it be worth trying to fix that put pan back up new oil/filter and seafoam it to see it it COULD help with some of my issues?
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:53 pm

While you have the oil pan off grab each rod at the crank and try to jiggle them. I have had a rod bearing fail before on a different motor and I was able to jiggle the rod which had noticeable play in it. There should also be pieces of the bearing sitting at the bottom of the oil pan.
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:59 pm

I have one rod that has a bit of play in it. did not notice any bearing pieces in the pan. If i remember correctly it is in cyl 3
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Gosh, really sorry to hear about this.  I don't have anything else to offer than what has already been posted, but I know that has got to be really disappointing after just buying and putting the car back on the street.

Anyone think running the car wth the Gumout at high RPM may have had an effect or contributed to the issue once the transmission failed to go into top gear?   I thought most of the "motor flush" (if that is what this was) treatments were supposed to be run for just a short time and not under heavy load.

Again, very sorry to hear about this happening.

Al
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, i think im going to try flushing the Tranny and running some additives thru it. And, draining the motor new oil and some additives flush tranny. then pray for the best. cant really afford to fix a car i just bought
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 4:55 pm

Steelrain wrote:
Well, i think im going to try flushing the Tranny and running some additives thru it. And, draining the motor new oil and some additives flush tranny. then pray for the best. cant really afford to fix a car i just bought

Well, if it has to be that way, please use Lucas products. They are the ONLY ones (Oil & Trans Stabilizer) that I use and trust.
Oil Stabilizer is $12/bottle, and you only have to use half of it (1/2 quart Lucas, 4 quarts oil), so you get 2 uses.

I wouldn't bother trying to "flush" the trans. You'll probably do more harm than good. I would go buy yourself a trans filter/gasket kit, some fluid, and a bottle of Lucas Transmission stuff at the very least. It's not hard at all to pull the trans pan off of change the filter. This way, you can also inspect for debris that may be sitting in the pan and/or filter. That'll give you a better idea as to if and how long the trans might survive (if it isn't shot already).

Don't run anymore "flush" anything through that car.....
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 5:12 pm

sorry i wasnt specific with what i was referring to when i said flush, what i meant was run lucas thru the tranny and seafoam thru the engine. I have all the stuff to re-gasket the tranny pan and oil pan. just have to get a day where it isnt snowing and really cold.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Just my opinion, but I don't think using additives are going to help your situation. Your transmission is probably done. How's the tanny fluid look? Burnt or black? Any metal on the magnet?

Quote :
I have one rod that has a bit of play in it.

You've diagnosed a spun rod bearing there. Nothing is going to fix that knock except a new rod bearing.

I could be wrong. Throw some Lucas in and pray, but I don't think the Riviera gods are smiling today.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Tranny fluid is normal red color no odd smell no metal flakes..
Back to top Go down
ironclyde
Enthusiast
ironclyde

Name : Cody
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 2:23 am

Let's figure some way to get that thing to Tucson. I have spare engines and transmissions. They are pretty cheap to rebuild.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 2:30 am

Yeah Cody,let's save that 95.
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 am

If only I could get it there... The JY's here want 1600 for a motor/tranny with 185k on them, and only a 14 day warranty.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 am

Hey, it gives you an excuse to do a series 2/3 swap. Always a positive somewhere in the mess.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am

matt270avian wrote:
Hey, it gives you an excuse to do a series 2/3 swap. Always a positive somewhere in the mess.

I don't think that a budget $1700 Riv was bought with the intention to blow more $$$ and time trying to swap in a newer engine and trans, Matt.
Back to top Go down
Steelrain
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 pm

that's for sure. I have literally no money to drop into this car. shit part is is that after i bought the car i sold my other car. so now out of $$ and no car.. Hopefully the simple "fixes" i am going to try will keep it going til i can really fix it.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Abaddon wrote:

matt270avian wrote:

I don't think that a budget $1700 Riv was bought with the intention to blow more $$$ and time trying to swap in a newer engine and trans, Matt.

Shhhhhhhh.... It will all be ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Forum with BIG problem   New to Forum with BIG problem Empty

Back to top Go down

New to Forum with BIG problem
Page 1 of 1