Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)

Go down 
+74
Yardley
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
artlock
llamalor2112
Mattwa
drdivo
nothincame2mind
Riviera Randy
ZEP
rk0ehn
gmann3001
charlieRobinson
RivieraParadise
flyingjunebugs
bigdave
RidzRiv
BlownRiv
crlombardi69
Derek
J. Chris Davis
VJD2
Abaddon
98inSFl
duckstu
97 park ave
DEMonte1997
LARRY70GS
L67
nigelf
Ash
eagleblanks13
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
EASHER
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
Steve98
Chicken
dreww
98riv
98RIV7777
rascal5478
ibmoses
albertj
robotennis61
Kustom Kreationz
robertwolf86
rivparadise
Joey98riv
BillBoost37
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
ender467
Buapo
Jack the R
54_nailhead
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
turtleman
racinfan
T Riley
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
AA
jax95riv
Jason
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 3:33 pm

98riv wrote:
Try bending the mounting tabs so that you don't have to use as many washers.

With the bar just barely clearing the master cylinder I have hood bulge(see pic).

Not sure but it seems like the master cylinder in this car is a fuzz higher than normal?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:26 pm

You need to even out your spacers. You shouldn't have to make it that high on one side. Lower it back down a little and try to have equal spacing on both sides. Mine has less than 1/8 clearance to the mas. cyl. and I have no hood bulge at all. No contact to the hood whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:10 am

I only put one washer on each bolt (could maybe have gotten away with none). I used a sander and sanded ALOT off the top of the master cylinder - especially where the STB crosses over. Like so much, I almost cut all the way into it. Maybe 1 to 2mm of plastic left.

I had to drill out the bolt holes on the STB. Put my dewalt to the test. happy
My rubber mallet came in handy too.
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Strut tower brace   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 8:19 am

Looking for a strut tower brace, checked ZZP, and Intense, will a tower brace for a GTP, fit a 96 Rivi? car handles well but stock suspension is a little on the soft side as you already know, i will be installing KYB shocks and struts, i would like to limit as much body roll as possible.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 9:20 am

No stb made specifically for the Rivs. However, a late model Caddy STS stb is almost a direct bolt on. Lots of guys here use it. W-body will not fit.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 4:49 pm

what year is your car? Put some info in your sig. please.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 11:17 am

here are some pics of my custom strut tower brace. I thought I'd better post them instead of having them just sitting around on my computer. I'm begining to find that either the series I engine sits a bit higher than the 2, or maybe sits farther back in the engine bay. All the pics I saw of others(all series 2) and how they used the STS STB seemed to have way more room at their disposal, as well as Eric's custom one. So i figured I was better off making one from scratch:
Photobucket
The ends I had actually made almost 5 months ago, but then had no time to finish. I made rough blanks out of cardboard to figure the shape I wanted, made sure that the bolts were indeed square with the car(they are!), and then cut the shape from some steel plate I had around.
Photobucket
And below we can see the clearance of the break res.:
Photobucket
The thing is VERY stiff, the one ton press wouldent make the slight bends I needed so I used the ten ton. The angle needed was measured(something like 4 deg if i recall correctly), and then both ends were made to match. Dunno if it really makes a big difference, seems to roll less in the front... but its hard to tell with my rear shocks falling apart.(but not to worry, Ranchos are on order!)

Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 12:39 pm

You're gonna love those Ranchos wink Be sure to make an STB for the rear so it can handle them!
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Anyone know if his 95 STB is compatible with the 96?
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 1:32 pm

I could check if there was a 96+ riv in the area... well there is, but i dunno what the "old dears" would think of , "hey, i just want to try something out on your engine..." from a stranger....

Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 2:12 pm

you still have the template?
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 2:35 pm

...man this is crazy.....

I work for one of the largest machine shops in the country....I should see if I can make one here....
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Steve98

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 pm

I installed this brace over the weekend. I have a 98, so the holes matched up with the bolts. I had major clearance issues, though, and had to use 8 washers all around. I've got a slight bulge in my hood now, which I don't like. I love how much better my Riv drives, though. It corners better and just feels more solid in general. This is a great mod and I agree that the brace should have been stock. I want to brace the rear strut towers, too.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Thats the same problem I had with the wifes 99. Big stacks of washers, slight hood bulge and still just barely clearing the master cylinder. no

Bert tavis

Steve98 wrote:
I installed this brace over the weekend. I have a 98, so the holes matched up with the bolts. I had major clearance issues, though, and had to use 8 washers all around. I've got a slight bulge in my hood now, which I don't like. I love how much better my Riv drives, though. It corners better and just feels more solid in general. This is a great mod and I agree that the brace should have been stock. I want to brace the rear strut towers, too.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Interesting. I wonder why some have clearance issues and some do not...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm

I think it's the bars more than anything. Make sure those bars are straight...

Mine was bent when it arrived. Even a slight curve will throw off the alignment.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 5:19 pm

I'd offer to make custom ones, but it sure wouldn't be cheaper than getting the STS one...

Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Karma wrote:
I'd offer to make custom ones, but it sure wouldn't be cheaper than getting the STS one...

I wouldn't mind having better ones with no clearance issues.

I've got other $ priorities at the moment though, but I bet I'm not the only potential buyer.
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm

I want one? I really dont want to buy this caddilac one and it dont work and I strecth it to work and while doing that i weaken it
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:30 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
I want one? I really dont want to buy this caddilac one and it dont work and I strecth it to work and while doing that i weaken it

mine worked perfect not to brag or nothin cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:32 pm

yeah but I read all the pages and they seemed to work on 98's with no problem but seem not to line up on earlier models and I have a 96
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:33 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
yeah but I read all the pages and they seemed to work on 98's with no problem but seem not to line up on earlier models and I have a 96

modify it...... thats what ewolf did..... he basically custom made one!
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:34 pm

Yeah I dont have anything to do that with and I dont have a garage to work in at the moment? What kind do you use in the rear?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 pm

ewolf did custom make one, did he not? It was similar to the one I custom made, but mine had a bit more material in around the strut tower...

Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 8:37 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
Yeah I dont have anything to do that with and I dont have a garage to work in at the moment? What kind do you use in the rear?

i have a sub box so i chose NOT to make a rear one smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)
Page 9 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next