Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)

Go down 
+74
Yardley
joshuadalegrimes
matt270avian
Randy T.
al_roethlisberger
artlock
llamalor2112
Mattwa
drdivo
nothincame2mind
Riviera Randy
ZEP
rk0ehn
gmann3001
charlieRobinson
RivieraParadise
flyingjunebugs
bigdave
RidzRiv
BlownRiv
crlombardi69
Derek
J. Chris Davis
VJD2
Abaddon
98inSFl
duckstu
97 park ave
DEMonte1997
LARRY70GS
L67
nigelf
Ash
eagleblanks13
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
EASHER
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
Steve98
Chicken
dreww
98riv
98RIV7777
rascal5478
ibmoses
albertj
robotennis61
Kustom Kreationz
robertwolf86
rivparadise
Joey98riv
BillBoost37
oldsman105
deekster_caddy
TonySmooth89
ender467
Buapo
Jack the R
54_nailhead
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
turtleman
racinfan
T Riley
99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
AA
jax95riv
Jason
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 7:42 pm

omg finally!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 pm

97rivsc wrote:
omg finally!!!!!!!!

there you sissy little white boy... tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:27 am

at least my mom didn't make me remove my straight pipes
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 am

Girls girls, calm down and play nice. nono
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:39 am

poop

Can't we all just get along?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

love
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Jack the R wrote:
love

So jack....when they repeal prop 8 , wanna move to california together?

queen
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 1:45 pm

97rivsc wrote:
at least my mom didn't make me remove my straight pipes
rolleyes
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 pm

ok, my brace just arrived here and went on with absolutely no modification what so ever I'm pretty stoked right now
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 2:36 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
Jack the R wrote:
love

So jack....when they repeal prop 8 , wanna move to california together?

queen

lmao IIRC it's legal in 10 states now, but CA isn't one of them.

Actually I may skip marriage and shoot for being the first guy to 3D print a love slave. What I've seen of marriage is fucked.
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 pm

97rivsc wrote:
ok, my brace just arrived here and went on with absolutely no modification what so ever I'm pretty stoked right now
Sounds good.
I'm hoping mine goes on with little to no modification also. If not, oh well, I will just have to take my time and make it fit.

Still not shipped yet though.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:35 pm

You should have no problems with installation on a 99, other than possibly needing a couple washers for spacers to maintain clearance at the brake fluid res. I have 2 flat washers added at each mounting bolt.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:27 pm

On some cars these bars look good .. on very few cars they actually do something to stiffen the body....

on the Riviera i actually doubt they are nothing short of "the emperors clothes"

If the chassis on the Riv is so flexable that a small piece of steel tubing between the tops of the struts has a noticeable feel to the ride ide be looking for a new car!!!

sorry but just my tuppence worth.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 pm

nigelf wrote:

If the chassis on the Riv is so flexable that a small piece of steel tubing between the tops of the struts has a noticeable feel to the ride ide be looking for a new car!!!

Then dont buy one because you will be getting a new car.
The riviera's chassis is actually very strong and was one of the first hydoformed frames. it was close to the corvette in stiffness when they were first designed in 94. Crash test
With that said, i noticed a very real difference after installing the bar along with the sway bar. It is noticeable enough that you could blindfold me and i would be able to tell you from driving around the block if the bar was on or off.

Last edited by Mr.Riviera on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
nigelf wrote:

Then dont buy one because you will be getting a new car.
The riviera's chassis is actually very strong and was one of the first hydoformed frames. it was close to the corvette in stiffness when they were first designed in 94. I believe the chassis was rated at (give me a minute while i find the stats...)
With that said, i noticed a very real difference after installing the bar along with the sway bar. It is noticeable enough that you could blindfold me and i would be able to tell you from driving around the block if the bar was on or off.

The chassis actually broke GM's machine for testing structural rigidity, and the Riv was also subjected to a 30 mph front and rear crash, and the doors will still able to open.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:44 pm

I am playing a little of the devils advocate to be honest

that said yes sway bars have a direct effet as they change the suspension reaction to the mass for a given direction where as if the bar reduces movement of 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch between the tops how much of a difference would that actually make at the wheels or in steering geometry?

Nigel (with toung in cheek)
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 pm

The STB has a dramatic effect, and the car is very stable without it. It becomes even more stable with it. Read some of our comments from 15-18 pages ago...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Nigel,
It's well worth the $30.00 it cost and makes a dramatic improvement.
This was the first thing I did to my car, because of cost and ease of installation and I'm glad I did it.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:15 pm

On the Riv we have a transverse engine and a very strong firewall and inner wing section the tops wil not move.....

The cute drawing way back in the thread missed the point to point out most sideways force is felt by the lower a frames the struts are designed to take compression or expansion in only the verticle direction.

How do you translate the verticle compression in to a sideways force at the top of the strut?

i can see a stb working on a normal car engine where the firewall has to allow the transmittion to have a tunnel and thus weakening the firewall structure along with the struts normally being well into the middle of the engine. also the force would come from the top A frame i believe....

still its very subjective.. no one has come up with a measurement of + or - inches with out the strut so its all subjective...

Nigel
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Oh and as a side note ... Who if anyone has fitted a set or braces to the rear?

Nigel (DA)
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm

nigelf wrote:
Oh and as a side note ... Who if anyone has fitted a set or braces to the rear?

Nigel (DA)

Jack the R has I THINK...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 4:08 pm

ewoolfe has a custom one that he made for the rear.
There are pic's of it on here somewhere.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Quote :
On the Riv we have a transverse engine and a very strong firewall and inner wing section the tops wil not move.....
I don't see how the orientation of the engine has anything to do with the frame flexing. By the "tops" I assume you mean the strut towers, and I do believe they flex on most all vehicles with struts. If it's made out of metal, it can flex and bend to some degree.

Quote :
The cute drawing way back in the thread missed the point to point out most sideways force is felt by the lower a frames the struts are designed to take compression or expansion in only the verticle direction.
The key to understanding this is to realize that lateral forces are exerted on the strut, whether they are designed to take them or not. The strut does not pivot at the steering knuckle, it's bolted to it, so lateral forces exerted on the tires and wheels are also exerted on the strut.

Quote :
How do you translate the verticle compression in to a sideways force at the top of the strut?
As mentioned, there are lateral forces acting on the strut during a hard corner, in addition to vertical. Here's what a tire does under lateral force:

brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 Lateralforce

Tire walls only flex so much, so the rest of that lateral force goes to the wheel, which then transfers to the hub, the knuckle, and strut. If the top of the strut were not bolted to the tower, it would want to move "out" during a hard turn.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 4:24 am

nigelf wrote:

Yes, it's all subjective, but I will tell you just installing the STB flattened the car out in the corners. It was like adding a sway bar. Months after I installed the STB I discovered a broken end link on my sway bar, but my car cornered so well I didn't notice.

Perhaps you can't measure a difference in the movement of the upper strut tower, but who cares? If you care not to believe us, don't install it. If you'd like to try it, it's inexpensive and it works very well. It's not worth arguing about, it's a $30 part and it makes a difference.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:56 am

I've got the STS STB in front and back.

I can't provide a scientific analysis of why either work, but boy do they ever work! I had my front one off briefly to get extra welding done on it, and it was like driving a marshmallow. I'd forgotten how badly the Riv rolled without it.

I don't know what the rear STB will do without also upgrading to Ranchos or Bilsteins. By adding the rear STB, I was able to get the handling I wanted in the rear end with a lower stiffness setting on the adjustable Ranchos. At a higher shock setting, the change in the way the car handles is unreal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)   brace - Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB) - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing a Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)
Page 13 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 26  Next