Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Timing Chain replacement & timing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
akasirro
Special

Merit : 0

Timing Chain replacement & timing Empty
PostSubject: Timing Chain replacement & timing   Timing Chain replacement & timing EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Is there anyway to tell if my timing is off?  I just replaced a broken chain and the dots were not aligned when the chain broke.  I have the new chain, sprocket, and gear installed with the dots aligned but when I turn the engine by the cam bolt I have resistance at some points and none at other points.  Any help would be appreciated.   Its an 95 riv sc.  I'm in over my head but feel like this is the last hump... I'm hesitant to reinstall everything without confirming that this "resistance" is ok.  I also hear a slight bit of air as I turn the cam, I have the #1 spark plug out at the moment.

Please help!  Thanks!!

Last edited by akasirro on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sloshua
sloshua

Name : sloshua
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement & timing   Timing Chain replacement & timing EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:30 am

if dots line up should be fine. If #1 plug is out yer not gonna get compression out of that cylinder obviously.
Back to top Go down
sloshua
sloshua

Name : sloshua
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement & timing   Timing Chain replacement & timing EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:39 am

well lemme help out a lil more the vin 1 or super charged motors are interference that means if chain breaks u can have a piston wack a valve thats still open and that can cause some major problems. best thing to do is to make sure all the valves are still going in and out and not stuck which would be yer problem if not getting compression on some of the cylinders
Back to top Go down
akasirro
Special

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement & timing   Timing Chain replacement & timing EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:25 pm

thanks sloshua. i've been trying to think through how to confirm valve movement and i'm assuming that i will have to remove the valve cover to do so. sorry if i'm stating the obvious. i'm the oil, headlight, and wiper change guy at my garage... this all started with a no start condition that turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor.

going to pull the cover and take a look. i'm thinking that the cam position was set on the exhaust stroke when i lined up the dots.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement & timing   Timing Chain replacement & timing EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 3:29 pm

You're going to get resistance turning over an engine by hand. It's called compression. It happens to anything that uses pistons. Generally, if you turn an engine over by hand and get NO resistance, then there is some sort of timing issue (broken chain/belt). As long as you lined up the dots, the car should run.....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement & timing   Timing Chain replacement & timing Empty

Back to top Go down

Timing Chain replacement & timing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: