Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

In the market for a Riv

Go down 
+4
gunmetalRED
stan
Bullitt
petayV8
8 posters
AuthorMessage
petayV8
Special

Name : Pete
Merit : 0

In the market for a Riv Empty
PostSubject: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 5:17 am

Hi. Im Pete, 27 and from the UK, I have just emigrated to California and i really want a Buick Riviera! I love them. The design, the power plant and the interior is just all awesome! Ive looked at Lexus SCs, Cadillac Elderado's, Lincoln MK's etc and i always go back to looking at Rivs! My only gripe is why are they FWD frown

Anyway ive got about $4000 to spend and i want a 1996+ SC with no more than 130k. Preferably black and interior anything but the blue (not a fan) keeping my eye on this beaut

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4569549309.html

I am a ex well known member of the Lexus owners club UK, I owned a Lexus IS300 and loved it. I was a club post guru with over 2000 posts in two years and participated in many club meets and events and i hope to gain a similar reputation on here although i have alot to learn about the Riviera. I would post a few pics of my previous car but not sure if it would be welcome   nono  lol

I plan on tastefully modding the Riviera with:
Tinted windows
Spoiler w 3rd brake light
18" Rims (thinking Chrysler 300c stock rims with modified center caps would suite the car?)
Medium burl wood dash kit
3.4" SC pully
Induction kit
Painted calipers
White HID kit
Double din NAVI
Chrome Exhaust tips
What do you think so far?

Anyway will keep you updated on what i end up finding, these cars are hard to find in good nick! but im willing to wait. i waited 3 months for the right IS300 to pop up and will do again if needs be

So what are they like to drive? At what RPM do you get peak power etc? much understeer with FWD? what about torque steer? hows the sound system? are they easy to work on and are parts cheap? Anything in particular i should be looking out for?

Thanks for having me on board  smile 

Back to top Go down
Bullitt
Amateur
Bullitt

Name : Rafal

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 am

Hi, I always liked the early 90's Lexus cars. SC430 used to be one of my dream cars after I was given a ride in my father's friends car. Nowadays the Lexus line-up except the IS is completely uninteresting. As far as Riviera is concerned, You'll find lots of information here. I can only repeat what I read here and I read that Rivs are very reliable, good cars. The parts are cheap too. I am also in the market for Riv.
Back to top Go down
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Hi, I always liked the early 90's Lexus cars. SC430 used to be one of my dream cars after I was given a ride in my father's friends car. Nowadays the Lexus line-up except the IS is completely uninteresting. As far as Riviera is concerned, You'll find lots of information here. I can only repeat what I read here and I read that Rivs are very reliable, good cars. The parts are cheap too. I am also in the market for Riv.
Well ide love a SC430 but Ide like to pay cash for a car and its not something i can afford! i already have a Nissan on finance. I was looking at the first gen SC but was put off for two reasons. It looks crampt due to being on the smaller side and ive read reports they are NOT easy to work on and parts can be pricy and i like a car i can tickle with  wink 

I would like to get a even older car than 90s tbh but need something reliable that i can drive on long road trips. I will be getting a boat tail in good time tho smile 
Back to top Go down
Bullitt
Amateur
Bullitt

Name : Rafal

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 am

sorry I meant sc400 wink Every time I say sc430 I mean sc400 wink good looking coupe. Almost as good looking as the Riv. Unfortunately I don't see SCs anymore. Probably because of the reasons You mentioned.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 2:45 am

Welcome Pete.
Back to top Go down
gunmetalRED
gunmetalRED

Name : Kristin
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 am

Hi Pete, welcome! You've picked a great car to want, in my humble opinion! wink

$4,000 should be plenty to pick up a nice Riv at the mileage you want. My best deal was $4250 on eBay for a one-owner '97 fully loaded with 67K miles! Be patient and you'll find one.

I'm on my third Riviera and consistent problem spots for me have been an inconsistent fuel gauge, a rusty retainer ring on the fuel tank, and rust on the K frame, engine cradle, and rear suspension cradle. I'm in the "rust belt" though where we salt our roads in winter. However being in California this should NOT be a problem for you, like, at all.

Anything else is common sense. My longest-running had 253K on it when I sold it, still running fine. (All those rust points I mentioned though... yeah.) Find one that was well-cared for and you're good to go. smile
Back to top Go down
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 am

Bullitt wrote:
sorry I meant sc400 wink Every time I say sc430 I mean sc400 wink good looking coupe. Almost as good looking as the Riv. Unfortunately I don't see SCs anymore. Probably because of the reasons You mentioned.
ha no worries. I also really want something american  wink 
Back to top Go down
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks for welcome guys. cant wait to get my riv.
Back to top Go down
damnjetski
Amateur
damnjetski

Name : Christian
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Hey Pete, a friend of mine's wife vetoed his Riv. It's a 99 with 55-60k on it. Loaded, sans sunroof in metallic green with tan leather interior. He's looking to get $5500 out of it. Located in Buena Park, CA about 20 miles south of LA. Let me know if it sounds good. It's in all around great shape with a minor scratch on the front left bumper.
Back to top Go down
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 pm

damnjetski wrote:
Hey Pete, a friend of mine's wife vetoed his Riv. It's a 99 with 55-60k on it. Loaded, sans sunroof in metallic green with tan leather interior. He's looking to get $5500 out of it. Located in Buena Park, CA about 20 miles south of LA. Let me know if it sounds good. It's in all around great shape with a minor scratch on the front left bumper.
didnt mention im in Napa, near SA. so a little far away im afraid. plus $4000 was top, hoping to pay closer to $3k. Thanks anyway
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 pm

....or maybe try to get a Silver Arrow a Pete?
Back to top Go down
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm

stan wrote:
....or maybe try to get a Silver Arrow a Pete?
I would love to but for $4k? And ideally need something fairly local
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 4:13 pm

WELCOME ABOARD  hi 
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 1:21 am

Hey guys. Going to Sacramento next Sunday to look at a 1997 SC in Silver with 107k. Its a hour away. Not my first choice for colours but beggers cant be choosers. It looks promising but we'll see. will keep you posted. I really hope it works out
Back to top Go down
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyMon Aug 04, 2014 6:37 pm

So it turns out the Riviera is a good clean example. However the check engine light is on. Waiting for the seller to text me the code, although it passed its smog fine. Hoping its something simple.

She also told me the power steering reservoir is low. leak?

Might go see Wednesday evening if i get chance
Back to top Go down
petayV8
Special

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 7:37 pm

The car had the following issues:
- Faint engine knocking
- Something leaking from the top of the engine from smalls pipes?
- Dent and scrape to rear bumper
- Paint is filthy but i believe correctable
- Pin striping broken
- Riviera badges on doors damaged
- bottom half of interior is missing!
- Door card loose
- Drivers door power lock broken
- Shift selector trim cracked
- The interior is also filthy but correctable
- Engine cover missing

Im tempted to buy it only to save the old girl but can i be bothered? Price is $2000 which seems high, thinking will need at least a $1000 to straighten her out
Back to top Go down
Birdawgxx
Amateur

Name : Tenn Jeff
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 9:30 pm

If they present owner has maintained the engine the way that they have maintained the interior & exterior of the vehicle, I say run, don't walk away from this car you speak of. $2000.00 for initial purchase, $1000.00 for repairs. It always turns into MORE because of labor costs..... 1000 turns into 2000. Now you've got 4 large sunk into a major ass-ache! Take your time and find a prime example. They're out there!
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 pm

agree
Birdawgxx wrote:
If they present owner has maintained the engine the way that they have maintained the interior & exterior of the vehicle, I say run, don't walk away from this car you speak of. $2000.00 for initial purchase, $1000.00 for repairs. It always turns into MORE because of labor costs.....  1000 turns into 2000. Now you've got 4 large sunk into a major ass-ache! Take your time and find a prime example. They're out there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

With that many missing pieces no way. I just bought a decent (but high mile) '04 Grand Prix for $2500. Needed basic maintenance items (pads/rotors, LIM gaskets and some fluid changes) but if it's $2000 with that many missing pieces it's not worth it. Sounds more like a $500 car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the market for a Riv   In the market for a Riv Empty

Back to top Go down

In the market for a Riv
Page 1 of 1