Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sloshua
sloshua

Name : sloshua
Merit : 1

Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump Empty
PostSubject: Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump   Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Removed the air pump from the car today to test and its dead as a doornail. I was thinking of using this to replace since the replacement pumps out there are all used.
https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-25804-Air-Shock-Controller/dp/B000CFO05E/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1467760009&sr=1-21&keywords=air+shocks
Has any one ever done this ?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump   Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump EmptySat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 am

It would certainly work manually, but do you really need it?

Now maybe they changed the spring-rates between '95 & '97, but one of the things I always thought was a waste on this car, compared to my softly-sprung Eldorado, was the Level Ride...  With the stiff springs already, I hardly ever hear it running, and even when I do it hardly seems to change the attitude of the car.

That reminds me, another choice might be what used to be called Car-go Coils.  I think Moog still makes them under a different name, but they are variable-rate coils that negate the need for air-shocks in most situations.  I put them in my first car - a '72 Cutlass which was DEFinitely softer than my Riv - and it made it handle much better.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump   Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Eldo wrote:
It would certainly work manually, but do you really need it?

Now maybe they changed the spring-rates between '95 & '97, but one of the things I always thought was a waste on this car, compared to my softly-sprung Eldorado, was the Level Ride...  With the stiff springs already, I hardly ever hear it running, and even when I do it hardly seems to change the attitude of the car.

That reminds me, another choice might be what used to be called Car-go Coils.  I think Moog still makes them under a different name, but they are variable-rate coils that negate the need for air-shocks in most situations.  I put them in my first car - a '72 Cutlass which was DEFinitely softer than my Riv - and it made it handle much better.

Monroe makes a rear shock replacement with variable rate assist springs.

If your air shocks are good the air ride hardly ever runs; just when you load the car with say 4-5 200-lb adults and their luggage. But once it airs up it stays up.

I would very much like to have variable rate springs (not assists, OE replacements) for the rear to replace the stockers.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump   Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 pm

I did some searching and according to Summit Racing they are now called "Moog Cargo Control Coil Springs".  Unfortunately, at least at Summit, they only have Moog stock replacements for our cars...

Happily, they DO have '98 front A-arms, but sadly not for my weird '97s

BTW, I've never had more than 3 people in the car, but I did have 12 cases of liquor in the trunk on one trip - purely as a suspension test, of course wink  - and that was the first time the car actuallly got below level at the rear and the Level Ride brought it back up about an inch or inch & a half.
Back to top Go down
sloshua
sloshua

Name : sloshua
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump   Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 8:29 pm

I did this last weekend works real nice. I spent 70$ on the gabriel air shocks then later on down the road come to find out the air pump was kaput. I like being able to adjust the rear air shocks I can jack the rear end up way high or low ride it, and its just another gauge to look at and something to tinker with goin down the road.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump   Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto level system pump replaced with after market pump
Page 1 of 1