Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Trunk Ventilation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 pm

On the passenger side of the trunk, I have a vent with 2 rubber flaps that are on the outside allowing air to exit but not enter and I have 2 rubber hoses/ports from outside the fender to inside the drunk.

What are these for?

Our trunks are not sealed off? So it's perfectly safe to assume our trunks are filled with exhaust gases?

I will get some pics up of what I am talking about soon.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 8:36 pm

As far as I know there's 1 hose for the antenna and since you have a sunroof there's a hose for it. No idea where the sunroof drain is though.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 9:00 pm

o shoot. I wasnt counting that one. I was counting the two I see by the vent with the rubber flappers. I will get pics soon. I have to assume our trunks are exposed to exhaust fumes and arent totally sealed off?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
o shoot. I wasnt counting that one. I was counting the two I see by the vent with the rubber flappers. I will get pics soon. I have to assume our trunks are exposed to exhaust fumes and arent totally sealed off?

The flaps are to let the pressure out when you shut the trunk! I'm not sure about the hoses you're referring to though!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 pm

The flaps are there because the cabin HVAC is a "Positive Pressure" system. I believe that even when it's "Off" the fan still runs slowly. The flaps in the back give the air pressure a way out. Not a place for exhaust to get in.
There is also a drain hose for the power antenna.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 3:00 pm

So if the flaps let pressure out then its safe to assume the trunk is sealed air tight, right?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I found out about those vents once when pressure washing inside the wheel wells. Accidentally had the nozzle stuck through it and filled the trunk. shocked

Expert
charlieRobinson

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 pm

^^^lol thats a good one!

I had my back seats out of the car because of the subwoofer install and i left them out. 

But when I have the windows rolled down, it smells like exhaust is being pulled into the cabin.

If the trunk isnt sealed off then it makes sense, i probably should put the padding and carpet back in the trunk and put the back seats in to seal it off?

But if the trunk is truly sealed then none of that should matter?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Windows down creates funny air pressure. With the back seat removed, it's possible you are drawing air in from other places as well. The flaps theoretically should close on suction, but time may have permanently warped them open a little.

With the windows down and rear seat back removed, it smells like exhaust? Try putting the seat back in again... Why would you leave that out?

The trunk is not sealed airtight. Air can move through the seat back (also not airtight) and out the flaps. Maybe the trunk weatherstripping is worn too, allowing exhaust fumes in.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 5:00 pm

I put the back seat in. I just left it out because i dont use it and it was out from the subwoofer install.

i wish there was a good way to see where the big leaks are.

Like, put a couple smoke bombs out by the exhaust tips then turn a vacuum on inside the cabin.

See where the smoke comes in through?

just spit ballin here..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trunk Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk Ventilation   Trunk Ventilation Empty

Back to top Go down

Trunk Ventilation
Page 1 of 1